Visitor

2 modems on one cable account

Access is tough... so running new cat 6 cable is difficult to do. Can I just buy another cable modem to hook up to the Comcast cable downstairs next to the TV? I want the slingbox I bought for my son to watch local sports on while he is away at college to work. I also would like another connection for the kids at home, separate  from my 3 networked work PC's upstairs. Wireless is of course possiblethe last resort....any thoughts?
 Thanks

Connection Expert
EG

Re: 2 modems on one cable account

[ Edited ]
Technically, you can request 2 modems in most market areas, but be prepared to pay for an additional HSI account which would be double what you are paying now !!

Far more economical to go wireless !

Message Edited by EG on 10-05-2008 06:54 PM
Visitor

Thanks...I kinda expected that. I still would like to have the separate network though.  We get a bunch of malware from the facebook my space stuff. 
Connection Expert
EG

rmelbo wrote:

I still would like to have the separate network though. 
Only you can decide that..  :smileywink: :smileyhappy:
Contributor

FYI: malware = user error. don't download things that you can't trust. 99.9% of the time a website can't just give you a virus/malware. if its your kids, teach them that or get them off the computer
Security Expert
CajunTek

MountainDewer wrote:
FYI: malware = user error. don't download things that you can't trust. 40% of the time a website can't just give you a virus/malware. if its your kids, teach them that or get them off the computer

Fixed it... There's so much garbage out there that only requires a mouseover that you'd be totally shocked..
TANSTAAFL!!

Networking Expert
Baric

Wireless is a reasonable way to do this.  I have the same type of setup in my home.  The cable modem sits down in the finished basement where my main systems are, with a Linksys WRT54G wireless router.  That router provides both wired and wireless access in that area.  Now upstairs in my bedroom I have a number of other devices that need Internet access, wired TiVo and a network ready HDTV, as well as my PowerBook, which kind of migrates around.  Instead of running an ethernet cable, I simply got a Linksys WAP54G and put it in repeater mode and hooked up the wired systems to the WAP, which then talks to the main router, which gives access to the outside world.  So in essence I have my network split in two and each half is connected via a wireless link.  It works great, it's secured and it gives me wired and wireless access in both parts of the house without having a run a bunch of long ethernet cables through the floors and walls.

And the nice thing about wireless if you have a decent router or WAP is AP Isolation.  Basically, it seperates your wireless connections from each other so that they can pry into the others data transmissions.  By default AP Isolation is turned off on Linksys routers (I think), but it's a simple thing to activate.