Contributor

250GB limit what actually happens if you go over?

Ok..I'm concerned about actually going over this month, I've never gone over before..I'm not sure what Comcast will do.

So what actually happens if I go over 250GB for one month?

Official Employee
ComcastNick

Re: 250GB limit what actually happens if you go over?

The 250Gb isn't a hard cap, you won't be disconnected for going over slightly over.  I have gone over on my personal account before, and as long as I kept my next month under, never had a problem.

Comcast Nick
APSC Supervisor
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for your quick response..

Edit: Given the increase demand of the internet I wonder if Comcast going to review the 250GB cap? With multiple devices for Netflix, and such..it seems now it would be easy to go over the cap.

I know with online gaming takes up tons of bandwidth.. if not mistaken..trial games can hit 10GB+ in downloads..

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

[ Edited ]

Phill2 wrote:

Ok..I'm concerned about actually going over this month, I've never gone over before..I'm not sure what Comcast will do.

So what actually happens if I go over 250GB for one month?

Most likely nothing unless you used a terabyte (1000 GB ). Supposedly if they are concerned, they will contact you and help you lock down your network so that only people in your house are using it. They'll help you check that you don't have malware on your machine. They'll warn you.

But they are concerned about the people moving extraordinary amounts of data. Going a little over generally isn't a problem. We've heard of people going quite a bit over and not being contacted.

Read the Excessive Use explanation:

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/common-questions-excessive-use/

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the response..

I noticed the article says:

• Send 50 million emails.
  • Download 62,500 songs (173 days worth of music).
  • Upload more than 25,000 high-resolution photos.
  • Stream between about 100 to 800 hours of video.

Well, if we netflix an average of 3 hours a day (between mulitple devices, sometimes at once) that could be 90 hours a month on netflix..that could be almost 250GB itself..

I really hope Comcast reconsiders the 250GB limit

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

New Visitor
Silencer

Posting in this thread because it's relevant to my cap questions/woes and the faq at:

https://customer.comcast.com/Pages/HelpNFC.aspx?print=false&id=aup-lite

...doesn't work. Every question leads to a 404 error page. 

My internet has been both incredibly slow (10kb/s instead of 1-3 mb/s) and spotty (dropping regularly). I've done the usual, resetting modem and router and so on. I logged on to see if it was something to do with my data cap, and I have indeed gone over the limit. Unfortunately the faq offers no help, and I can't find any useful info anywhere else.

I'm not sure whether my problem is actually related to the data cap, but either way 250gb simply is not enough for a home with multiple computers and multiple netflix accounts. Streaming HD video alone, when you have multiple users, is a massive use of bandwidth. As we move into an increasingly digitized system, where people no longer buy physical copies of movies, shows, games, etc. 250 gb will even more problematic than it already is. My fear is that comcast's plans are to lower the cap in the future, rather than raise it. I only hope that some company has the foresight to give us either no cap, or a reasonable one, so customers like myself (ones who actually use the internet we pay all this money for) will have somewhere to take our business.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

That seems to be an old version of the information although I don't think I ever saw that particular arrangement. It is old in that it talks of "in January". Comcast started publicizing the 250 GB limit in October 2008. I'll bring that page's problems to the forum administrator's attention.

Try the link I included above:

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/common-questions-excessive-use/

As for your connection problems, please go to the connectivity part of this forum, read the sticky posts at the top about what to try (you started that with cycling the power), and post a new question. At last start with your modem stats. But do it over there; connectivity forum link.

In general, Comcast isn't bothering with people going a little over. 

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well my counter reset..I was at 258GB for the month.. I did not receive a phone call..thank God!!

I do hope that Comcast will revisit the 250GB cap.

On a side subject I have NO clue how this topic got moved to the App - Mobile web..

New Visitor
gmgiant

I would'nt worry about it i've been running at 400gb a month for the last 6 months and have'nt hear a word from them about it.

Contributor
vinylb

When I had Netflix and use to stream movies I was averaging around 400gb and did not have any issues.

New Visitor
Ladyhawk-LH

It would be nice to be sure I'm not going to have problems. From what I've seen, Comcast is very arbitrary about how it treats its customers. Different reps will tell you completely different things and you're pretty much at the mercy of whichever representative you happen to be speaking to...or whichever rep happens to be looking at your data usage.

One person may get away with going over the cap while another gets the dreaded boot.

I'm not even confident I'd be notified without getting the boot.

Oh and I was never told about a data cap before I signed up. That's only the tip of the "poor customer service" iceberg.

Connection Expert
EG

Ladyhawk-LH wrote:

I'm not even confident I'd be notified without getting the boot.

FWIW, you are supposed to get *two* warnings before that happens.

New Visitor
Ladyhawk-LH

Good. :smileyhappy: I can reference this thread if there's a problem.

Connection Expert
EG

Whatever floats your boat, just be advised that my comment was not authoritative as I am not an employee.

New Visitor
Ladyhawk-LH

[ Edited ]

Oops. Sorry about that.

Your title sounded authoritative, but I see it's simply that: a title. Whoops.

I've been treated so poorly by Comcast "customer support" that I feel I need some kind of official answer to this. I was never told about the cap prior to signing up. I wasn't told about a lot of things. I was out-and-out lied to several times.

I wrote one letter to the editor and shortly thereafter had enough material for two more. I never sent them because I figure Comcast has me by the short hairs: They're the only high-speed provider in my area. I suppose I could go back to DSL, but I'd rather not.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

[ Edited ]

What will happen if I exceed 250 GB of data usage in a month?

....We contact customers who have repeatedly exceeded the threshold in geographic areas where those excessive users are, or could, negatively impact the experience of other customers in their area. We inform them of the issue, discuss the policy with them, and work with them to moderate their usage. In our experience, when we contact customers who have exceeded the threshold, nearly nine out of ten voluntarily moderate their usage right away. The small minority of customers who, despite our efforts to inform and help them, exceed the threshold for a third time in a six-month interval, may have their service suspended for a year....

From: http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/common-questions-excessive-use/#excessive6

New Visitor
Ladyhawk-LH

[ Edited ]

Thanks. I already read that, but thanks anyway. Sincerely. :smileyhappy:

My problem is I've been out-and-out LIED TO by Comcast repeatedly. I don't trust them to keep their word. I could post my entire story here, but it would take several pages.

During the "setting up" process, I told them I needed to use a lot of bandwidth for business, backing up online (Goodbye $100 I paid to Carbonite), streaming and (don't laugh too much) video games. Not a single rep mentioned the 250GB cap. I didn't know about it until AFTER I signed the agreement. I'm sure it was somewhere in the fine print, but I've run into a lot of other new Comcast members who didn't know about it either.

I contacted Al Franken, hoping he will take the next step and pressure Comcast into either raising or eliminating the cap altogether. Video streaming and gaming are common apps that will push a family's bandwidth usage past the cap and I don't believe Comcast's whining about not having enough bandwidth.

Comcast has a horrible reputation. Changing its name to Xfinity isn't fixing anything because now Xfinitiy has a horrible reputation. :smileyhappy: I've met very few people who have actually had a good experience with the company.

I'm really hoping Al Franken will organize customers into doing something about it...well, the cap at least. We can worry about the monopoly, the unfair high prices, the lying and the terrible customer service AFTER the cap is gone.