New Visitor
Raoul99
Accepted Solution

Activate A New Modem Online?

Is there anyway to activate a new modem online by sending in the Mac address? I have VOIP and won't be able to call once I connect the new modem...

New Visitor

Re: Activate A New Modem Online?

[ Edited ]

I think the short answer is no.  I just tried to setup my new Motorola SB6121  to replace a Comcast-issued gateway (Arris TG862) and I could not get it activated.  I called 1-800-COMCAST and they said I have to speak to the Activation Dept. which is only open Monday - Saturday from 8am-5pm ET.

Also, FWIW, this thread also says you need to contact Customer Support over the telphone: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/How-do-you-activate-a-new-modem/m-p/110...

Contributor
doggz109

FWIW..... I called Comcast at almost midnight PST last Monday to provision a new surfboard and they had no problem doing it for me.  I just called the main number.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

When an unregistered modem is connected, after it finishes any firmware updates, SHOULD connect you to the 'walled garden'. This is a restricted area that lets you register the modem. Normally, you should try to connect the computer directly to the modem if possible.

The problem is that this doesn't always work. When I recently replaced my modem, I still had to call in as I didn't get anything at all.

Do you have cell phone? It's a toll-free number.

New Visitor
Raoul99

Thanks for all of the replys. I'm all set now...it's up and running fine...

New Visitor
TonyMcRN

I just got off the phone with them. For future reference the activation department is open until 1AM Eastern Time and their number is 855-652-3466.
Connection Expert
EG

Marked solved thread now closed.