Bronze Star Contributor

Approved Docsis 3.0 Telephony Modem? (Just Received a Cisco DPC3008 from Comcast!?!!)

I have my original Arris eMTA that I received from Comcast when I first signed a Triple Play agreement about five or six years ago, an Arris TM402P. Since I am on the Blast tier and Docsis 3.0 has been in my area for a while now I asked about my modem when I was speaking with a service tech about another topic recently. She said that I should have a Docsis 3.0 modem and arranged to have one sent out to me. (I'm disabled and it's not very easy to get out to a Comcast office). I just received the modem today: it's a Cisco DPC3008, which doesn't appear to be a telephony modem but a straight cable modem. The tech was aware that I have Comcast Digital Voice so I am not sure why she had this model sent out to me. Is it possible that they are also sending a separate Telephony modem in addition to this one? (I was advised by a tech/friend recently to try and make sure I got a single dual purpose modem, like the Arris TM722G and not accept the two separate modems). Can anyone here who would know tell me if this is how they come - a straight cable modem and a telephony modem shipped separately? Or is it more likely that this was sent out mistakenly? Also, I just finished reading the thread about the problems encountered with the Cisco DPC3008; I really don't think I want to deal with that since it does not appear that Comcast is moving very quickly to resolve those issues, if they're moving on it at all. Thanks for any information and/or advice! Jim
--
J-Mac
Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Re: Approved Docsis 3.0 Telephony Modem? (Just Received a Cisco DPC3008 from Comcast!

I think it was just a mistake. I'd contact Comcast and ask them to send the appropriate modem.

Bronze Star Contributor

Re: Approved Docsis 3.0 Telephony Modem? (Just Received a Cisco DPC3008 from Comcast!

Very good; thanks for the reply I-am-nerdburg. I'll give them a call. Much appreciated. Jim
--
J-Mac
Bronze Star Contributor

BTW, I apologize for the run-on posts above. They were nicely organized with proper paragraphs, etc. when posted but apparently this poor, poor excuse for a "computing device" is changing something! (iPad...) Jim
--
J-Mac
Bronze Star Contributor

Oh well, I called Comcast and they say it wasn’t a mistake. Supposedly I am to split the cable and run the internet through the DPC3008 while leaving the old Arris TM402P connected for the telephony. But to be honest I'm leery about connecting the DPC3008 with all the firmware problems I am reading about here.

I guess I could try it and then rip it back out if it starts dropping. Can anyone tell me if it is still required to call with the new MAC address in order to provision a new modem? The Comcast Help article says No, but a tech on the phone just told me Yes. So I am naturally a little confused!

Thanks!

Jim

--
J-Mac
Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

[ Edited ]

Really? Can you post your upstream and downstream signal levels pls?. Click the link or type: http://192.168.100.1 into your browser. We are interested in your power levels (dBmV) and your Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR).

Connection Expert
EG

O.P. F.W.I.W., have you seen this lengthy thread about issues lately with that modem (DPC3008) and Comcast ?

Bronze Star Contributor

"O.P. F.W.I.W., have you seen this lengthy thread about issues lately with that modem (DPC3008) and Comcast ?"

EG, Yes I did, and I mentioned that in the first post in this thread.

For that matter, I asked the tech I spoke with today about the problems with the DPC3008 and naturally he claimed that neither he nopr anyone near him there (wherever he is located) has heard about any problems with that modem at all. I referred him to the DFC3008 thread and he cautioned me about listening to anyone in the forum! LOL And to be honest I DO realize that for the most part only those having problems post here; those for whom that modem is working fine don’t usually come to the forum to post that info.

Just the same it sounds like a definite firmware problem and, well, firmware is an insurmountable issue IF there is no way to update/downgrade it without a "push" from Comcast, which sounds like the case here. I could split my cable and route the internet feed through the Cisco modem and try it, and then swap it right back if it starts dropping out. But I will probably instead just go out and purchase a proven modem elsewhere, leave the phone connected to the darn Arris TM402P, and feed the internet through the new modem. And just put the Cisco modem on the shelf. BTW, that tech told me today that they no longer give TM722G gateways out except for new service or upgraded service - like adding Digital Voice. So I have to split my line and run phone through the old Arris TM402P and run internet through the new Docsis 3.0 modem. Blah...

Hey EG: can you tell me if it is still required to call in the new modem's MAC address before it will work? The Help pages say that is no longer required, that I can just repower everything and all will be fine. But the tech today told me otherwise. He said that the modem needs to be "provisioned".Which is true?

Thanks!

Jim

--
J-Mac
Bronze Star Contributor

"Can you post your upstream and downstream signal levels pls?. Click the link or type: http://192.168.100.1 into your browser. We are interested in your power levels (dBmV) and your Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR)."

Here's the info:

Downstream
 Freq/Power:687.000 MHz7 dBmV 
 Signal to Noise Ratio: 36 dB 
 Modulation:QAM256 

Upstream
 Freq/Power:36.200 MHz47 dBmV 
 Channel Type:DOCSIS 2.0 (ATDMA) 
 Symbol Rate:5120 kSym/sec 
 Modulation:QAM64
--
J-Mac
Regular Problem Solver
PeteC2

J-Mac, don't know if this helps at all but here goes:

I had a similar situation during a switch from dsl and landline to Comcast internet and voice.  They sent me 2 modems for a self-install - a Thompson D2 eMTA and the Cisco DPC 3008 (performance tier)

Although it worked, the combination of modems required one more split in the line than was desireable.  Your signal looks a little healthier than mine did...but your upstream power is pretty close already, don't know how one more split will do, but may be cutting it close for Blast.

I did need to call to have Comcast provision to it (I had initially just used the D2 eMTA)

BTW, I had absolutely no problem with the Cisco DPC 3008, and they did roll back on what was purported to be the offending firmware, so the 3008 in and of itself would not worry me, it actually should be a pretty decent modem.

In my case, with a borderline signal, I called Comcast and they swapped the two modems for an Arris TM722G D3 eMTA.  In fact, they were kind enough to waive the shipping charges...

Technically, the Cisco DPC 3008 has the advantage as it is an 8 down/4 up D3 modem, versus the Arris TM722G  being a 4x4 configuration, but the TM 722G is a better solution for my set up.

Bronze Star Contributor

THanks for the info Pete.

You know, I brought up the addition of another splitter wrt my power levels with the tech on the phone and he just blew it off and indicated that it doesn’t have any effect whatsoever - which I know isn't exactly true.

Right now I am just holding pat with the old Arris connected, wondering what the heck to do, as I am receiving conflicting information from Comcast - which is typical IME. After a while I'll just do "something" and decide where to go from there.

Thanks again!

Jim

--
J-Mac
Regular Problem Solver
PeteC2

Not saying that you "should" do this, but a thought:  No real harm in splitting in the Cisco 3008 and having them activate it...if you have enough signal degradation to cause a problem, you can still switch back to the eMTA only, right? 

If by chance it does not, then you call comcast back and insist on them swapping you a Docsis 3.0 eMTA, as you are paying for Blast tier, internet and voice.

After all, I am only running at the performance tier and they were perfectly happy at letting me swap for the D3 eMTA.  Sometimes, it comes down to who you get on the phone...which is regrettable, but just something that I've learned to deal with.  If I do not get an answer that passes the "smell test" the first time, I either call again, or have my call escalated (polite...but insistent)

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

J-Mac wrote:

You know, I brought up the addition of another splitter wrt my power levels with the tech on the phone and he just blew it off and indicated that it doesn’t have any effect whatsoever - which I know isn't exactly true.

If you utilize a 2-way splitter it will cut your signal in half -- in cable that is expressed as -3.5 dB. In your case, using a splitter will put your return signal out of spec.

Regular Contributor

J-Mac,

Don't know what you ended up doing, but we bought an Arris TM722G at Best Buy that is a DOCSIS 3 modem with the telephony piece included. It will pay itself back in about 1.5 years, and it is pretty much state of the art, I think. Has IPv6, too, when that gets here.  Comcast is okay with it, and has configured it for us.  Works great, too.