Contributor
Accepted Solution

Are these IP Numbers Comcast DNS servers?

I know these IPs belong to comcast, but I don't know enough to confirm they are operated by the company.

The deal is, Symantec Endpoint Protection has an anti-UDP flood protection thingie that goes off on these two IP numbers, which shuts down my browser for 10 minutes (I can't get anywhere). So, I'm guessing it's Comcast checking to make sure I'm not running an illegal server, and SEP thinking I'm being attacked. But, I don't want to put those numbers on a trusted list if they're just a couple of comcast users.

Connection Expert
EG

Re: Are these IP Numbers Comcast DNS servers?

They appear to be Comcast name servers. A whois lookup reports this;

IP Information - 68.87.71.230IP address:                     68.87.71.230
Reverse DNS:                    cns.chelmsfdrdc2.ma.boston.comcast.net.
Reverse DNS authenticity:       [Verified]
ASN:                            7015
ASN Name:                       COMCAST-7015
IP range connectivity:          9
Registrar (per ASN):            ARIN
Country (per IP registrar):     US [United States]
Country Currency:               USD [United States Dollars]
Country IP Range:               68.80.0.0 to 68.95.255.255
Country fraud profile:          Normal
City (per outside source):      Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Country (per outside source):   US [United States]
Private (internal) IP?          No
IP address registrar:           whois.arin.net
Known Proxy?                    No
Link for WHOIS:                 68.87.71.230

IP Information - 68.87.73.246IP address:                     68.87.73.246
Reverse DNS:                    cns.manassaspr.va.dc02.comcast.net.
Reverse DNS authenticity:       [Verified]
ASN:                            33657
ASN Name:                       CMCS
IP range connectivity:          1
Registrar (per ASN):            ARIN
Country (per IP registrar):     US [United States]
Country Currency:               USD [United States Dollars]
Country IP Range:               68.80.0.0 to 68.95.255.255
Country fraud profile:          Normal
City (per outside source):      Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Country (per outside source):   US [United States]
Private (internal) IP?          No
IP address registrar:           whois.arin.net
Known Proxy?                    No
Link for WHOIS:                 68.87.73.246

The "CNS" designation would indicate so.

Email Expert

You can see a list of Comcast DNS servers at these two pages:

http://dns.comcast.net/dns-ip-addresses.php

http://dns.comcast.net/dns-ip-addresses2.php

Your two IPs are listed on the first page.

Official Employee
ComcastChrisGr

BenReynolds wrote:

I know these IPs belong to comcast, but I don't know enough to confirm they are operated by the company.

The deal is, Symantec Endpoint Protection has an anti-UDP flood protection thingie that goes off on these two IP numbers, which shuts down my browser for 10 minutes (I can't get anywhere). So, I'm guessing it's Comcast checking to make sure I'm not running an illegal server, and SEP thinking I'm being attacked. But, I don't want to put those numbers on a trusted list if they're just a couple of comcast users.

I am glad people are using our website:  http://dns.comcast.net to point out those are in fact our DNS servers.  The Anti-UDP flood protection does not seem to work very well when the DNS protocol runs exclusively on port 53 and your requests which can number in the hundreds depending on what sites you connect to will come over port 53.  Perhaps Symantec should whitelist DNS traffic in their product.

Thanks

Chris

Comcast

Connection Expert
EG

ctg1701a wrote:

I am glad people are using our website:  http://dns.comcast.net to point out those are in fact our DNS servers. 

That's too easy. Anybody can do it that way ! :smileywink: :smileygrin:

Contributor
rick001

Since you seem to be knowledgeable maybe I can get an answer from you or you can direct me. I have called, talked to 10 different people about how to get my IP changed. I've already tried all the obvious things like ip/config, unpluging the modem and switching out the modem. I guess mty last resort is to cancel my service , then sign up again in 2 weeks. My question is: will that change the IP/give me a new one ?

Regards,

rick.

Connection Expert
EG

rick001 wrote:

Since you seem to be knowledgeable maybe I can get an answer from you or you can direct me. I have called, talked to 10 different people about how to get my IP changed. I've already tried all the obvious things like ip/config, unpluging the modem and switching out the modem. I guess mty last resort is to cancel my service , then sign up again in 2 weeks. My question is: will that change the IP/give me a new one ?

Regards,

rick.

Why do you feel that you need a new IP ??

Contributor
rick001

There are several reasons why I want to change it, one is security and another is that I'm blocked by a website that I comment on. Untill I change my IP I can't log into that site. Since I only have this one PC, logging in on another PC is not an option.

Connection Expert
EG

rick001 wrote:

one is security

There is no such animal..

Contributor
rick001

I'm not exactly sure what you mean.  Seems I can't get anyone to help me . All I need to know is if I cancel my service then sign up again in a couple of weeks, does that give me different IP or will I be assigned the same one again ?

Connection Expert
JamesR

rick001 wrote:

I'm not exactly sure what you mean.  Seems I can't get anyone to help me . All I need to know is if I cancel my service then sign up again in a couple of weeks, does that give me different IP or will I be assigned the same one again ?

Yes you could cancel your service for a whil and expect a different IP address

You could also just Power your modem down for a while and hopefully get another address

Probably simpler to Make contact with the Webmaster of the site you have been banned from and apologize and promise not to misbehave again.

Thing is no matter how you get back on the site, you will probably misbehave again and be banned again.

Bronze Problem Solver

rick001 wrote:

You'll almost certainly get the same IP address assigned again. I could tell you how to get a different IP address, but I'm not going to. You might get a block of Comcast IP addresses banned, and one of them might be *mine*, and I might want to access that site.

Contributor
rick001

The site I'm banned on is liveleak. Not because of misbehaving but more because of being censored.

Unless your a member of the site or plan on joining it, it would not affect you in any way. besides that they don't ban blocks of IP's just the one you have an account with.

yes, I've already tried the proxy thing and powering down my modem, it doesn't work !

Bronze Problem Solver

rick001 wrote:

The site I'm banned on is liveleak. Not because of misbehaving but more because of being censored.

"Freedom of the press belongs to those who own the presses"

Unless your a member of the site or plan on joining it, it would not affect you in any way.

I never know what what roads I'll be travelling.

besides that they don't ban blocks of IP's just the one you have an account with.

I don't trust you to know how they do things.

yes, I've already tried the proxy thing

Sounds like they're looking for accountability. Their choice.

and powering down my modem, it doesn't work !

It might work if you powered it down for a month. But I doubt it.

Contributor
rick001

I'm not looking for debate or being lectured here ! !

I asked a simple question to which nobody has given me a satisfactory answer yet.

looks like comcast is going to loose a customer. I'll just sign up with someone else.

As for the site I metioned I actually know very well how it's run.

Connection Expert
JamesR

Well there is no real quick fix here, the thing you can do is call comcast and order a static ip address and then every time you do a censorable thing you can request a new static address from the sales dept.

Not being mean here, it is just the reality that residential IP addresses are dynamically assigned and are cached longenoughso that someone cango on vacation and still have the same address.

Some Markets may allow a residential customer to pay a little extra and get a static address and some markets may require you to get a business account which would allow you to host a server and have a highter limit on the bandwidth usage cap.

Email Expert

If you used a proxy and were still blocked, they're probably not blocking you by IP, unless they block the proxy as well.

Anyway, if they want to block you, that's their right. If you get a new IP and get back into the site, they'll probably recognize you and block the new IP. You already did something they considered worth censoring, do you really want to compound it by trying to get around the block?

I'll give you a little hint. If you have a router, it has a feature that can be used to get a new IP. I'll bet if you google you can find the answer.

Contributor
rick001

Thanks for the info. I have been told the same thing by comcast. problem is that I've talked to 10 different people and been given 10 different answers !.

Looks like I'll have to upgrade.

Thanks again for the info.      :smileyhappy:

Contributor
rick001

yes they have most of the proxys blocked to. It's not just me they want to shut up but hundreds of others to.

the problem is that this site is run out of the UK. The admins. have an anti US stance. yes they have the right to block me but I have the right to express my opinion.

I know they have my IP blocked because when I try to make a new account it says " your IP has been blocked "

Anyway, thanks for the info, I appreciate it.     :smileyhappy:

New Visitor
sailormoon24

Connection Expert
EG

Your post was blank... Do you have a question or comment ??

Regular Contributor

I know this is an old thread, but thought I'dl through in  a couple of nuggets for anyone searching it.

First, use Steve Gibson's DNS tester to find the fastest (but not neccessarily the most reliable) DNS server.

Second, rather than changing your IP address because your IP is blocked, just use one of the free proxy services as a relay.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

Adomymouse wrote:

Second, rather than changing your IP address because your IP is blocked, just use one of the free proxy services as a relay.

FWIW, poster stated that they already tried a proxy.. Suggest that you re-read Barmar's comments as well.

Visitor

Chris,

You see something entirely different when you do a whois search against the internic.net db.  Very suspicious server names. Why the difference and which is correct?

ces

Email Expert

Whois shows the servers registered to host the comcast.net domain. These are not necessarily the same as the caching servers that customers use to look up other domains. Only very small organizations use the same servers for both purposes. It's like the difference between the mail servers that handle incoming mail to comcast.net and the outgoing SMTP server you put in your mail client.

Visitor

Thanks Barmar, but do take a look at the whois search results from the internic db.

Email Expert

I don't see anything suspicious:

Name Server: DNS101.COMCAST.NET
   Name Server: DNS102.COMCAST.NET
   Name Server: DNS103.COMCAST.NET
   Name Server: DNS104.COMCAST.NET
   Name Server: DNS105.COMCAST.NET
Visitor

That's odd.  This is what I get from running the Apple Net Utility whois on internic:

NS1.MADEULOOKMODELS.COM
BRUTUS1701.****GALORE.COM
SERVER1.NIOFAM.NET

I've removed bad language as you can see by the asterisks.  Now this is only on internic.  In fact I also went to the internic web site and got the same result.  This was for the .246 address against the nameserver option. The .230 address returns only hte brutus item.

Bronze Problem Solver

cesIII wrote:

That's odd.  This is what I get from running the Apple Net Utility whois on internic:

NS1.MADEULOOKMODELS.COM
BRUTUS1701.****GALORE.COM
SERVER1.NIOFAM.NET

I've removed bad language as you can see by the asterisks.  Now this is only on internic.  In fact I also went to the internic web site and got the same result.  This was for the .246 address against the nameserver option. The .230 address returns only hte brutus item.

I'm not sure why Internic is giving those answers, but it's probably about someone playing silly buggers. Lookup microsoft.com at Internic and you'll see some interesting answers. Of course, most of them have nothing to do with Microsoft, Internic returns those answers because there's a match on the string "microsoft.com".

You're making the wrong query, Internic is about domain names, not IP addresses. If you want whois info about about IP addresses, start your query at ARIN (http://whois.arin.net)

Visitor

Steve,

That's the answer I was looking for.  Makes sense and thanks!