Regular Problem Solver
Accepted Solution

Are things going to get better or worse for us?

[ Edited ]

Net neutrality is dead (at least for now). Does that mean that someone could legally pay Comcast to favor its content or does mean Comcast could legally downgrade someones content?

Court strikes down FCC’s net neutrality rules, agency may appeal
By Jeff John Roberts    Jan. 14, 2014 - 7:21 AM PST
http://gigaom.com/2014/01/14/breaking-court-strikes-down-fccs-net-neutrality-rules/

What you need to know about the court decision that just struck down net neutrality
By Mathew Ingram    Jan. 14, 2014 - 12:15 PM PST
http://gigaom.com/2014/01/14/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-court-decision-that-just-struck-down-ne...

Visitor
CrookedCableCo

Re: Are things going to get better or worse for us?

[ Edited ]
Try using aereo on your comcast internet. They already degrade it. Same with netflix. Throttled at peak hours.

Worse. Much worse. This ruling is going to have far reaching consequences and the FCC has failed us. The FCC claims that 80% of Americans have access to more than one high speed internet provider. Not the case where I live. As someone who was simply trying to save money by canceling cable, and choosing to stream only,this move will force me to cancel my plan with comcast. As a long time customer of theirs, I feel betrayed. This move is a direct shot at netflix and we all know it. There's dirty pool going on, and we know that too (example: netflix is throttled every night during peak hours). How is it ok for comcast to count only certain services towards a bandwidth cap, and not others? Streampix doesn't count, but netflix does? Also, I've noticed that comcast now has netflix enabled cable boxes - which I'm sure doesn't count towards your cap either (since you're paying for cable and a box - which is what comcast wants). I've also noticed that with these new caps, that Comcast's meter is wayyy off. I was consistently at 367 GB every month for the past few months, and now this month, I hit the cap on the 15th. My usage didn't change. My meter on my router shows I'm nowhere near what comcast claims me to be. But go ahead and try disputing this with them. Their dumb cs reps, and tech support morons will not be able to do anything except read a script to you. They can't help you. I'm at a loss here. It's an unwinnable fight as a customer and all of your reps in your area won't help you either. I feel like I live in North Korea with this madness. Eventually I'm sure the comcast internet will be censored and more restricting. (A la adult sites in the UK). I have two strikes left on this data cap thing, and I will probably download the entire internet until I'm out of strikes. Then, I'll cancel my account. The only way to send this company a message is with your wallet. It's sad.
New Visitor
MARKAYASH

This is bad..I am streaming pandora at home on a wired "25 meg" internet circuit and it is having to buffer?? If you want to throttle me above 300 gig ( last month mine was around 60 gig ) go for it but let me use what I pay for!!  who can we call, ? this is unheard of?

get this, I can tunnel to my datacenter and it works great..But if I got out where comcast can control the content it SUX..So it's not a modem or speed issue..

Official Employee
jlivingood

CrookedCableCo wrote:
Try using aereo on your comcast internet. They already degrade it. Same with netflix. Throttled at peak hours.

We do not throttle or degrade this or anything else.

JL
National Engineering & Technical Operations
Official Employee
jlivingood

MisterEd51 wrote:

Net neutrality is dead (at least for now). Does that mean that someone could legally pay Comcast to favor its content or does mean Comcast could legally downgrade someones content?

There's no impact to Comcast. From our PR team -- 

Comcast Corporation Statement on the action by the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit in Verizon vs FCC attributable to David L. Cohen, Executive Vice President:

“Comcast has consistently supported the Commission’s Open Internet Order as an appropriate balance of protection of consumer interests while not interfering with companies’ network management and engineering decisions.  As a result, we agreed in the NBCUniversal Transaction Order to abide by the Open Internet rules for seven years even if the rules were modified by the courts.  We remain comfortable with that commitment because we have not – and will not – block our customers’ ability to access lawful Internet content, applications, or services.  Comcast’s customers want an open and vibrant Internet, and we are absolutely committed to deliver that experience. 

We are committed to work with Chairman Wheeler and the Commission to play a constructive role in finding an appropriate regulatory balance going forward that will continue to allow the Internet to flourish.  Given the DC Circuit Court of Appeals holding that the FCC has jurisdiction in the broadband arena to preserve and facilitate the innovation that has driven the Internet, we are optimistic that the Commission can accomplish this result while avoiding inappropriate common carrier regulation.”  

JL
National Engineering & Technical Operations
Visitor
CrookedCableCo

[ Edited ]
I assure you that comcast indeed throttles both Aereo and Netflix. Simply saying you don't does not negate how degraded these services are, especially during peak hours. I would love to invite you over to my house to witness this first hand, JL. It's sort of hilarious to see everyone at comcast deny this stuff. We know you don't like us cord cutters. It's obvious.
I work in IT, broadband technical support to be specific. I kinda know what I'm talking about.

If Comcast's cable service was worth paying for, I would still have it. If it wasn't so ridiculously overpriced, I'd still have it. If you didn't have a monopoly on HSI in my area, they wouldn't be doing this...

My last call to tech support was to complain that Comcast's usage meter was inaccurate. I have my own meter running and the difference between yours and mine is quite large. Of course, nobody could help me with that issue. If only comcast spent all that money on improving their service, instead of finding loopholes to shake every dime from our pockets... We can all dream can't we?

I get that this is your job to deny things. Totally makes sense. I have to do that at my job, too. It makes me sick to my stomach, but I get paid to do the same thing. Just know that, for my situation at least, that you guys are penalizing a stay at home pregnant mom and an 18 month old. Denying us our Sesame Street and Thomas the Train just so you can try to get back at us for cutting the cord. Our average monthly usage is 367GB. It's been that way for 3-4 months straight. But according to you I've already hit that in two weeks. Our usage hasn't changed, and it's not a coincidence that this is happening right after instituting penalties for caps. After we hit our third free strike, we will have to cancel. It won't matter to you guys. I'll probably get a call every week from a third party reseller you gave my information to, offering promos on your triple play garbage. Maybe this information will help you understand what it's like to be a comcast customer in 2014. (Being a customer with an employee discount is not the same by the way :smileywink:

Thanks for the reply!
Regular Contributor

I'm with you Crooked!  They are sucking, & yeah can I get Verizon FIOS in my area, tried for 10 years, not happening.  But the Town next door to me has it & I live on the border of that Town, like right next door to me, my neighboor.