Contributor
Fehrenheit

Best type of splitter and coax cable?

I got to do some moving around of my gear. I had some connection issues in the past, specifically with the "Upstream Power Level". As it stands its at 45, now when it gets hot outside it will climb to 47-48 and every once in a while I get a modem reboot. Now this is with two splitters before the modem its self. So I'm moving the modem in a way to where I can be off the first splitter but I'll need to splice in some cable to make it work. I'm assuming a coupler with compression fitting would be better over a splitter right? So to make it work I have to add 13 ish feet of cable, what I have been doing it buying a premade cable and cutting it to length using a compression fitting on the end. Could anyone point me to a good cable for this? Also while I'm messing around I want to replace the first splitter into the house, I can't really find one that says "For cable modems". Any help with that? Maybe an Amazon link?

Thanks!

PS I just noticed that 192.168.100.1 is timing out for me. It worked earlier today, does it go down sometimes?

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Re: Best type of splitter and coax cable?

[ Edited ]

You want quad shield RG6 (try Monoprice.com or eBay.) For splitters: Avoid anything gold colored or designed for satellite. You don't need an expensive "Monster" type splitter, you just need good quality. The splitter should be labeled 5-1000Mhz (or 1 Ghz) like this one.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

[ Edited ]

Quad-shield is generally not necessary, especially for a short length like 13ft, unless you are running it right next to an electric motor or old fluorescent light. Standard RG6 is fine.

13ft is basically 4 meters. You can probably find a pre-made around that length.

As mentioned, most any splitter with a 5MHz-1000MHz (or 1GHz) rating is fine. It's also good to have an isolation rating (noise getting in) of 130dB or so (that's what the Comcast-supplied splitter I have says.)

Upstream, using lower frequencies, tends to be most sensitive to noise if the connections are not tight. Double-check that that the connectors are properly threaded tightly and clean.

As for the modem access: Some modems will not allow access to their pages while connecting.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

andyross wrote:

Quad-shield is generally not necessary, especially for a short length like 13ft, unless you are running it right next to an electric motor or old fluorescent light. Standard RG6 is fine.

If you go with that reasoning, then RG59 is fine.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

[ Edited ]

Actually yes. RG59 is still fine for a short interconnect link between devices. May even be easier since it's typically more flexible. For home users, it's probalby only once you get past 25ft or so where you may start to get any real change.

Where I live, the cable between the post and my apartment is actually an older dual cable (A/:smileycool: super-RG59 type from the mid 80's.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

I know it's fine, that's why I said it. However, there are no advantages to lesser coax other than it's easier to work with. If you are going to make some wiring upgrades, use the good stuff and you'll have no worries.

New Visitor
floydb1982

I had that same problem were my cable modem would time out and I replaced my splitter with a 3GHz power pass splitter. Now my cable modem no longer cuts out at all anymore.