Visitor
bmeek2

Blast! 50, only seeing 28 Mbps, using an SB6121, no bonding light enabled

I'm trying to figure out a) what I should expect, and b), if I should expect 50 Mbps, how I should engage with Comcast to get there.  I'm currently seeing download rates of 30 Mbps.  I've tried contacting tech support, and they've had me unplug my router and reboot my modem a few times, beyond that they appear at a loss on how to help me.  I'm assuming to get to 50 Mbps I will need a connection that is using bonding.  The person I spoke to did not know what bonding was.

Connection Expert
EG

Re: Blast! 50, only seeing 28 Mbps, using an SB6121, no bonding light enabled

FWIW, the "Blast" speedtier is 25/4 sustained in most upgraded areas. 50 Mbps is the "Extreme" speedtier. Which one are you actually subscribed to ?

Visitor
bmeek2

I'm subscribed to Extreme! 50mpbs.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

If your system is actually upgraded to DOCSIS 3 (and this is a must to be able to get 50 Mbps speed), then the modem's "DS" indicator light should indeed be blue !

Official Employee
ComcastDamian

The reason you are getting 28 megs right now is that your modem has a file on it for "wideband blast" which is the 25/4 speed.  I cannot see the codes on the account on the billing side.  but with you subscribed to extreme and your modem is not showing extreme but the wideband blast that will need to have the codes fixed on the billing side.  i put in a ticket for the issue for you.  As soon as they work the ticket that should fix the speed issue for you.

i do apologize about the issue, not sure why the codes werent corrected with the new upgrade.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

But is his system actually upgraded to D3 ?? And to my knowledge, the Blast bootfile naming convention should look like this;

d11_m_ [******] _speedtierextreme2_c01.cm

** denotes modem model number

Official Employee
ComcastDamian

motorola sb6121, the bootfile is just wrong,  and i cant check billing to see those codes.  thats why i put the ticket in, they will work it and correct the codes and bootfile and then the speeds will be correct.

Connection Expert
EG

OP. If the modem's DS light is not "blue", go here; http://192.168.100.1 and look at the signal status page. If you do not see any multiple bonded downstream channels indicated there then you will not be able to get that speed period.

Visitor
bmeek2

Thank you so much for your quick response.  This morning I had a chat session with tech support and after having me power cycle the modem a few times, and at first trying to convince me everything was OK, they told me I would need to pay for a service call for someone to take a look at the actual wiring.  I mentioned several times that my modem was not using channel bonding, and asked if it could be a provisioning problem, but the person didn't know what either of those terms were.  My experience here was 180 degree opposite of that support chat session.  This is great!  

Official Employee
ComcastSteve

You should be bonded downstream based on the CMTS you are on. Have we have a tech out to check things?

Steve Teow

Connection Expert
EG

As employee ComcastSteve has stated, the modem will bond to multiple channels provided that they are indeed configured/present on the local CMTS/system to which it is connected regardless of the subscribed to speed tier or the bootfile that is present in the modem. FWIW, have you ever tried using the "Reset All Defaults" and then the "Restart Cable Modem" radio buttons in the User Interface ? This can help to force a change if as Steve says "they are indeed present" on the CMTS config.

New Visitor
SheerPanic

I have the exact same issue. Same modem.

I did have the Ubee comcast supplied modem and it worked fine. And when I first set up this modem, I saw it fetch the wrong (blast rather than extreme) config file when it booted (in the logs at http://192.168.100.1)

What has to happen to fix this?

New Visitor
beachbum957

Similar problem here, same modem, except I own the modem.  In my case, the modem does show the blue lights that it has a bonded connection. Download speeds do test at 50 Mbps after a restart of the modem.  But after about a day, the download speeds drop to 25 Mbps and have fallen as low as 3 Mbps

A power down and restart of the modem "fixes" the problem, but for only about a day.  The modem logs show an almost daily "Cable Modem Reboot due to power reset", yet I never power down the modem. 

Comcast "customer support" has been 0 help.  Maybe it is time to get Motorola involved

Visitor
boomnuri

I too have the same problem except I have the new ASIS DOCSIS-3 comcast/xfinity provided modem.

i rent it too.

i have read all the posts, and I too have done all the resets one can do with comcast/xfinity on the phone.

one support person did notice that it is booting with the 30 file not the 50 and doesn't know why.

dont know what to do, you would think that they would provide a service as advertised, especially for the price I pay.

does anyone know how to get this to work?

Connection Expert
EG

boomnuri wrote:

I too have the same problem except I have the new ASIS DOCSIS-3 comcast/xfinity provided modem.

i rent it too.

i have read all the posts, and I too have done all the resets one can do with comcast/xfinity on the phone.

one support person did notice that it is booting with the 30 file not the 50 and doesn't know why.

dont know what to do, you would think that they would provide a service as advertised, especially for the price I pay.

does anyone know how to get this to work?

Try contacting Comcast Steve about your issue via a private forum message during regular weekday business hours here;

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/214920

Connection Expert
EG

Thread closed.