New Visitor
AJegan

Blast Speed

Hi,

I am using Comcast Blast for internet. The claimed speed is up to 30MBPS. I am using Comcast recommended cable modem Motorola Surfboard SB5101. But my speed is not at all going more than 9MBPS.

What may be the problem?

Note: Comcast speed check is telling that my internet speed is 20MBPS.

All other 3rd party speed check is telling that my internet speed is 8MBPS.

-Jegan

Official Employee
ComcastNick

Re: Blast Speed

Our blast speed is either 25Mbps or 16Mbps depending on your area.

With that modem modem, your speeds will be closer to 16.

If you are in a DOCSIS 3.0 upgraded area, upgrading your modem can help boost your speeds.

One of the reasons why a Comcast speed test will reurn faster results than a 3rd party site, is that our speedtest runs only on our network and servers, while a 3rd party test will go through the public Internet servers, which we cannot control.

Are you having any connection issues with your service?  Or is it just a question about the speeds?

Comcast Nick
APSC Supervisor
Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Please give us more information:

1) Please connect your computer directly to the modem via Ethernet ( no router, no wireless, no USB )
2) Run ShaperProbe and post your results. (It works with Win 7)

Connection Expert
EG

ComcastNick wrote:

Our blast speed is either 25Mbps or 16Mbps depending on your area.

My understanding is that Blast could be 16, 20, 24, or 25 Mbps depending on the market area/upgrades.

New Visitor
AJegan

Nick,

With the docsis 2.0 cable modem, can you tell me the maximum download speed?

-Jegan 

New Visitor
AJegan

Hi Nerdburg,

I'll do your suggested diagnostics and update you.

-Jegan

Bronze Star Contributor
kraze1994

In my area Blast is 30 on the dot, usually 35 with 5 upload. 

New Visitor
gtoregon

Comcast or any knowledgeable person, 

I have a Thomson DHG536 VoiP Cable Modem.    It is DOCSIS 2.0.     I have Comcast BLAST service.

Should I upgrade to a Motoroila Surfboard SB6121 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem?

Are there any advantages to upgrading?     Faster internet speed? 

gtoregon

Official Employee
ComcastNick

[ Edited ]

AJegan wrote:

Nick,

With the docsis 2.0 cable modem, can you tell me the maximum download speed?

-Jegan 

I honestly don't know what the max speed on blast is with a DOCSIS 2.0 modem.  The highest I normally see them is mid 20s.

Edit:

Upgrading a 2.0 modem to a 3.0 will increase your speeds.  It might not have a major impact though, if you are getting 16Mbps then it will have more of an impact then if you are getting 20Mbps

Comcast Nick
APSC Supervisor
Connection Expert
EG

They recommend using a D3 capable modem/eMTA for their "Blast" tier of service (especially where Blast has been upgraded to 20, 24, or 25 Mbps) and any faster tiers.

Contributor
CTuser

I recently went from Extreme 50 to Blast Package 30 Mbps, my speeds were nowhere near 50 the entire year I had Extreme 50. They were, at best, 20. Later come to know, Extreme 50 is not in my area. I'm in close to the Litchfield County line (about a mile)

Now, I’ve Blast and my speed since 2/11/12 and it went DOWN to  1.5! NOT even 2 Mbps,

Please check if the correct package is pushed to my modem. Today I had an Installer come and install the Voice Package and put in a new modem as well.

The Modem I now have is as Docsis: XFinitiy SMC model SMCD3GNV

Please HELP!

Contributor
CTuser

What Modem are you using?

What area are you located in?

Does Locality affect speed?

Contributor
falana1

I am so computer illiterate I just realized today I am paying for extreme 105 and maybe only need blast. I did a test through Comcast and if I am correct 24.74 up and 4.74 down? So from what I read not getting what I have been paying for for years. Like I said, computer stupid. At any rate I will call tomorrow and download to blast, but I guess I have to make sure I have correct modem for this?
I only need blast, but a bit upset I payed so much for something I didn't need ( my bad).
Except for this speed issue I just realize I have Comcast has been great for 15 years I have been a customer. Tech support is excellent and customer service has always been top notch.
Can my service be downgraded without a service call?
Connection Expert
EG

falana1 wrote:
I just realized today I am paying for extreme 105 and maybe only need blast. I did a test through Comcast and if I am correct 24.74 up and 4.74 down? So from what I read not getting what I have been paying for for years. Like I said, computer stupid. At any rate I will call tomorrow and download to blast, but I guess I have to make sure I have correct modem for this?
I only need blast, but a bit upset I payed so much for something I didn't need ( my bad).
FWIW, Extreme 105 is new and has only been around for a short time. Some areas don't even have it yet. How long have you been paying for it ?

Can my service be downgraded without a service call?
You need to call in for this. Looks like you are already getting Blast speeds.

Contributor
CTuser

WoW! That took a tremendous effort, but...IT IS RESOLVED. I wanted to thank the Administrators and Kevin in the Executive Office for very diligently staying atop this matter. I have to say, I had the Executive Office call and keep abreast the matter everyday, sometimes twice to even ensure certain persons with whom I had to speak called as scheduled.

When the Tech came, it was not a modem issue, but a file to the modem issue. So, it took going up through a chain and being transferred to 8 different people, but he stuck with it and took care of the matter. He could have easily said "this is not my domain," and left, but he didn't. His being here helped ensure to the Reps on the phone that the speed was in fact reading what I'd stated at 1.5.

It was a matter of the correct file being downloaded to the Modem.

Now that THAT is taken care of I'm pleased again with COMCAST! yay! And, I have a better respect for them. They took care of things much more diligently (even though the frustration level was greater on this end) than any other time I've an issue. They're getting better!!

My advice to anyone with issues, stay with them and it gets resolved. Be sure to follow up and be steadfast. If you just let it pass, it won't be resolved!

Contributor
CTuser

Thanks for the email! Much appreciated and...Have a great day filled with FAST internet!

New Visitor
c-u-r-m-u-d-g-e

Our download speed had been ca. 14 Mbps using WiFi g with packet checking. 

When we needed to download several files FTP and could not, we found the download speed less than
2 Mbps and upload speed ca. 4.5 Mbps. We requested phone assistance and were assigned a service call. 

We were somewhat luckier than CTuser was; the service technician deemed our modem obsolete and replaced it, together with the configuration file, so there was no need to find someone to set the configuration. 

Following this replacement, our download speed is ca.18 Mbps using WiFi g with packet checking and 21 Mbps or better hardwired to the router.  Hardwired to the new modem, it is up to 24 Mbps.

Thus, where Blast download speed has deteriorated, upload speed has not, and performance at the demarc is normal, changing out the customer modem seems to be an efficient on-site remedy.