Visitor
Agent_Vanilla

Bought own cable modem - how to set up?

I bought my own cable modem, but clueless about how to install and configure.

Do you just take new modem out of box, and swap out the leased boxes' cables into the one I purchased?  Or are there some configuration things I need to do to the modem? If so, what?

Official Employee
ComcastDamian

Re: Bought own cable modem - how to set up?

just hook your purchased modem up let it come online and then call comcast so they can add it to your account and provision it, takes about 10 minutes total, and you are done.

Connection Expert
JamesR

Make sure you get a receipt for the modem when you return it to Comcast!!! Make sure you keep the receipt. Wait a couple of days and call in and check to make sure they have taken the returned modem off of your account. Good luck. :-)
Bronze Star Contributor
Rolo42

Additionally, power-cycle your router after you plug in the new modem.

Connection Expert
EG

I'll jump on the bandwagon here too.

You may be able to provision it via their modem registration page (Walled Garden) which you may see by opening up a browser. Follow the screen prompts. Sometimes this fails and you need to call in anyway. If you call, have the make, model number, serial number, and the HFC/RF MAC address of the modem handy. These can typically be found on a label on the bottom.

New Visitor

I bought a Motorola DOCSIS 3.0 SB6121 cable modem which was recommended by Comcast.  Unfortunately, it has only 3 hookups (power,cable, and ethernet) and does not have a hookup for telephone.  The Comcast rep said that I neeeded the telephone hookup as well.  Did I get the wrong modem?  If so, what is the correct modem.  Thanks.

New Visitor

Thanks for your response.  But did I get the correct modem or do I need one with the 4 attachments including telephone?

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

This is a year old thread. You need an eMTA telephony type modem and a router for additional ethernet ports, or a combo modem / router (not recommended) with telephone support. You have the wrong device if you want to use their digital voice service.

Their "Approved" devices are here;

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net

New Visitor
newcx

I just installed a new Motorola SB6141 without calling.  I swapped the cables to the new modem, cycled power on my router, waited two minutes, and then opened comcast.net.  The provisioning was automatic, and even read the hardware info from the modem.  I did have to enter my account number, but I still had my account window open in another tab, so I just copied and pasted.  For once I had a painless setup on Comcast!

Connection Expert
EG

Thanks for sharing that info ! Thread now closed.