Recognized Contributor

Buy vs. Lease a Cable Modem?

If I buy the modem, I'll save the $3.00 a month I pay to Comcast. If I continue to lease, and there's a problem with the modem, Comcast replaces it at no extra charge (and there's a Comcast store a few blocks down the road from where I live, so I can swap modems in a matter of minutes).

On the other hand, I haven't had a problem with a cable modem since 2001. And how often do 'modern' cable modems have problems, anyway?

Should I view the $3/month as insurance, or should I go ahead any buy a modem?
New Visitor

Re: Buy vs. Lease a Cable Modem?

I faced the same problem yesterday, figured in 2 years i would have paid for the modem anyhow so I just bought it.

Problem is, best buy doesnt offer service plans on the modems, so I was disapointed in that.

The 3 bucks a month is a good deal if the modem breaks.
Bronze Star Contributor

I view the Comcast leasing arrangement as an insurance policy. To me, there's enough complications and difficulty in identifying connectivity problems that introducing the complication of owning my own modem puts the burden on me if Comcast techs suggests that a particular problem is modem related. They're also presumably familar with their hardware such that, in trouble-shooting a problem, they should know more about resolving an issue if they're familiar with the modem.

The cost differential is small (between owning versus leasing) and, for the time being, I'm satisfied with leasing.

None-the-less, everyone will have different circumstances.
Most Valued Poster

Don't forget to factor in that hardware changes on their end can cause a modem to be outdated and unusable. If you own your own, it's your problem. If you lease, it's theirs.
Bronze Star Contributor

I own a Motorola SB4100 for 4 years & still runs like brand new i also rent a Motorola SB5120 i plan on just buying it from comcast. Plus you cant find the SB5120 in stores just the SB5100.
Recognized Contributor

I'm glad someone mentioned the Motorola modem. I'm currently leasing a SURFboard 4100. Circuit City has nice rebates on the SURFboard 5100. If the 5100 is significantly improved than the 4100, I might consider buying - although, if Comcast is currently supplying 5100's I could probably go the my nearby Comcast store and do a swap.

Otherwise, for $3.00 a month, I think I'll treat my leased modem as an insurance policy.
Bronze Star Contributor

paying them monthly you can buy a cable modem 5-10 times over depending on ho wlong you have service with them. its smarter to buy your own. the one there using in this area at least is the SB5120 which at WALMART and most electronic stores can be bought for 59.99 here.

and the linksys modems are usually all supported by the CONNECTION, comcast however will refuse to help support and trouble shoot you if you buy your own modem. which is sad.
Regular Contributor

> I view the Comcast leasing arrangement as an
> insurance policy. To me, there's enough
> complications and difficulty in identifying
> connectivity problems that introducing the
> complication of owning my own modem puts the burden
> on me if Comcast techs suggests that a particular
> problem is modem related. They're also presumably
> familar with their hardware such that, in
> trouble-shooting a problem, they should know more
> about resolving an issue if they're familiar with the
> modem.
>
> The cost differential is small (between owning versus
> leasing) and, for the time being, I'm satisfied with
> leasing.
>
> None-the-less, everyone will have different
> circumstances.

^ I agree. If you own your modem and something happens (e.g.: you need to get a new one or need tech support with it) Comcast doesn't have to help you, since you bought it. They would probably help if it was a connection problem though. You also never know when compay's merge or update their systems, which could require you to buy a new (and probably a little expensive) modem.
Contributor

I found the exact same modem that comcast supply on ebay, it was only $30 and is been working great.
Most Valued Poster
rickmac

Comcast has stores?
Is that why I pay so much?
"Neo, you must understand, there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path." Morpheus - The Matrix
New Visitor

I was leasing an OLD SB3100 from Comcast.
When we had lots of connection problems, I asked them to replace it with something newer and they declined.

So, I bought an SB5100. I am one happy camber, now.
(Except for the recent connection failures were are getting these last few days.