New Visitor

CABLE MODEM CONNECTION ISSUES!

If you are having problems with your cable modem, please refer to the following.

An intermittent connection can be very frustrating. What happens when you have a intermittent connection? Let's say your cable status light goes out on your modem. (Some modems will re-cycle all the lights on the front panel of the modem)

I have been a tech with Comcast for 7 years. I go to alot of homes and diagnose alot of intermitten connections. Alot of them are Self-Install kits that the customer picked up from a store or had mailed out by Comcast. Here are some important info to remember.

YOU NEED A DEDICATED LINE!
What I mean by that is-- Where ever your cable somes into your house at (side of house or utility room); you need to run a line from that point right to the modem!! This will MOST likely solve your problem. make sure all your connections are tight! And please don't use those cheap screw on connectors. (They will allow off-air signals leak in your system) IF YOU have your cable modem going through 2 or more splitters, you MAY experience connection problems.

After you have a dedicated line, and you still are having problems; it can be one of two things.

1: Your line coming to your house is BAD! (CALL COMCAST)

2: You may have a area problem!! If your neighbors have the service, ask them if they are having problems with intermittent connection!! The more infor you can give the techs, the BETTER! (CALL COMCAST!!)

Now, if you have intermittent connections, and the lights on your modem are on, you may want to check:

1: network cable going from the modem to the computer.

2: If you have a router hooked up, bypass that!(sometimes you have to reset the cable modem, then the router, then reboot your computer) (IN THAT ORDER)

3: Sometimes you may get a virus and it will affect your operating system!! MOST of the time you will get NO CONNECTION!! but it may also cause intermittent connection.

Well, I hope this has helped you.... if you have any questions... please dont hesitate to reply.
New Visitor

Re: CABLE MODEM CONNECTION ISSUES!

What would cause loss of connection 2-3 times a week between 4-7PM? Often, I can get the line back up by shutting everything down and restarting the modem, router and cimputer in that order. Sometimes, however, nothing works and the network comes back up on its own in several hours.
Regular Contributor

> What would cause loss of connection 2-3 times
>a week between 4-7PM?

Only 1 thing...too many Comcast users surfing web at same time! Seriously. There can be no other explanation when outages happen on daily basis at same time. Kevin
New Visitor

Something timely like that could be a network issue with Comcast's routers back at the headend. We had an issue one time where our routers would reset by themselves, and it ending up being a bad electrical ground. When the fans kicked on at a certain time, it would trip that outlet. So, wierd things like that can happen. I would check other people in your neighborhood that have the service. See if they are experiencing the same problem. If not, it may be something local with your network.

I had an issue with a digital box one time at a customers house. The box would start cycling through the channels from channel 2-999 everynite at 7:15. So, the work order didnt say that, so I arrived at 5:00. Of course it wasnt happening. (the customer was old.. and I figured he was just old..hehe) But, I did come back at 7:00 oclock. And I waited.. And by gosh it started happening. I laughed... I felt kinda bad for thinking this guy was nuts. Anywayz... it ended up being his LIGHT timer. It was plugged into the same circuit as the digital box. WHY it did it, I dont know. But, I unplugged it and the box stopped cycling through the channels. Plugged it back in, and it started. So.. wierd things like that can happen!!

I thought I would share that with you... I tend to babble somtimes. If your neighbors have the service, check with them! If not, COMPLAIN to the service department and setup a P.R. Have someone come out when the problem is happening.

cya!
New Visitor

True. Your system could not have enough servers for that particular area.
Bronze Star Contributor
Bronze Star Contributor

<>

Babbling? Not at all. First off, you were offering advice and assistance. Second of all, not only did you give us a chuckle, which can be few and far between in some of these forums, you also provided a clear example of why you shouldn't rule ANYTHING out in matters like these. I mean, if you ended up telling us that the device you unplugged was a Clapper, and the poor guy's pace maker signal got cross routed and was linked to that, then I could see where it wouldn't be as amusing to the rest of the forum readers as it would be to those of us with the more warped sense of humor...But I guess that's for another day in another forum. Now, look at your post and look at mine and tell me if you still consider yourself a babbler. ;->
New Visitor

could my computer being going down because there are different things in device manager and winipcfg
New Visitor

could my computer being going down because there are different things in device manager and winipcfg
New Visitor

So - what's the issue when a Comcast tech comes out and installs everything and there are still problems? I'd say it's Comcast...not the installation...because if Comcast installs everything and sets up the configuration properly and I have problems...it's not anything I did!
New Visitor

Your computer being down? Im assuming your internet is down. Well, if the status lights on the modem are all lit and solid, and your internet is down. You may have an operating system problem. Or you may need to reset your 'winipcfg'

If you exit to DOS commands and ping a website. And the response takes a long time and comes back 'unreachable host' You may need to reload your operating system.

Pay attention to the activity light on the modem! It SHOULD blink constantly! If that light does not blink, you may want to check the cable going from the modem to the computer! (there should be indicator lights on back of the modem where you plug the cable into. if they are off, then the data is not passing) You may also have a bad NIC card or USB adapter.
New Visitor

Well, if a Comcast tech comes out and completes your installation and IT DOES not work or works intermittently. He may have not done his job properly. We have certain procedures in the Baltimore/Metro area. And for the most part, all of our INHOUSE personell follow them. Let's face it, we are all human! You may get a guy who is having a bad day, or a guy that is lazy or a guy who is rushing through his jobs! The important thing is to communicate! If you are not satisfied, call the local office and request a supervisor to talk to. My number one goal is to take care of the customer, and they will take care of you. Simple as that!

Thanks!
New Visitor

Yeah.. babbling. Thats cool. Pacemaker.. hahah! Ahh well.. Ive been sick for the past 3 days and Ive had nothing to do. I missed a day at work and I hate that! Oh well... just living!! cya!
New Visitor

Right - let's get back to the issue being "the computer". You must work for Comcast...
Contributor

Hi,

I had basic installation two weeks ago, the first week was pure hell, modem would not hold conection, took forever to reset etc- called repair, another service tech came out replaced the original splitter that was installed and I have not had any problems since -
New Visitor

Yes. Apparently the splitter went bad! Its happened before. Sometimes you ask yourself... why me?? Things are never easy. hehe Ahh well...
New Visitor

Yes I do work for Comcast. Whats your point?? Don't put your hang-ups on me.
New Visitor

I just had all these problems for three days, called comcast and they scheduled maintenance man to come out next week.called thomson modem they said modem was bad, exchanged modem,no difference few days I had no isp or gateway address coincidentally I have aol dial-up which I could receive emails and all other info from them but i could not send because of Internet Explorer errors.Anyway all this crap including reformatting my hardrive reloading everything, same problems.My final check before cable guy arrived, bought a new $10 splitter and guess what? all problems with connections working fine.Incidently all 4 light on modem were blinking simultaneously, it still lasted for about half hour before it connected, now its fine.Just goes to show you sometimes it the simplest of things.Always check easiest things first.
New Visitor

Hey - I work for a software company - I know all about the "computer" problem...
New Visitor

>Your computer being down? Im assuming your internet is >down. Well, if the status lights on the modem are all >lit and solid, and your internet is down. You may have >an operating system problem. Or you may need to reset >your 'winipcfg'

I guess you get off easy for including the word "may" in there, and I don't understand how the tell you reset a GUI that gives you your network config info.

There seems to be a lot of problems arising lately, sure some of these problems could be user errors but others are legit.

My problem started a week a go, my modem's lights are solid. I get a 12.x.x.x IP address, but unable to ping the gateway -- I can ping local computers, meaning my TCP/IP protocols are fine, I can't connect to the web or any internet services for that matter. No, it's not my computer as I have 4 and have tried all 4 (3 desktop, 1 laptop) -- straight through to modem (1 feet) with CAT5 and USB cables.

Now I'm getting disconnected from the net every 2 days or so, for periods of 1-2 hours, hell this is crazy.

>If you exit to DOS commands and ping a website. And the >response takes a long time and comes back 'unreachable >host' You may need to reload your operating system.

Not necessarily, just means your route to that website is inaccessible, bad gateway -- or bad internet.
New Visitor

My problem started a week a go, my modem's lights are solid. I get a 12.x.x.x IP address, but unable to ping the gateway -- I can ping local computers, meaning my TCP/IP protocols are fine, I can't connect to the web or any internet services for that matter. No, it's not my computer as I have 4 and have tried all 4 (3 desktop, 1 laptop) -- straight through to modem (1 feet) with CAT5 and USB cables.

Yes, you MAY have a bad IP address. Or the card back at the head end is bad. Sounds like a COMCAST problem. Holy COW.. it's not a computer problem.
New Visitor

I am having definite speed issues. Internet is intermittent and MUCH SLOWER than it ever has been. How long has it been like this? Hmmmm, since about June 30. Having helpdesk experience myself, I tried very diligently to diagnose and troubleshoot this problem. What is the only difference in my system between now and June 30th??
-"dedicated line"?
Nope, that hasn't changed...

-"network cable going from the modem to the computer."?
Same as before and still OK.

-"If you have a router hooked up, bypass that!(sometimes you have to reset the cable modem, then the router, then reboot your computer) (IN THAT ORDER)"
Didn't have a router then, still don't.

-"Sometimes you may get a virus and it will affect your operating system!! MOST of the time you will get NO CONNECTION!! but it may also cause intermittent connection."
AH! The old tech/helpdesk standby! "because i can't figure out what your problem is, you must have a virus." Sorry. Not this time.

After researching this in detail, the only thing that is different since June 30th is: June 29th my service was provided by ATTBI. Coincidence?
New Visitor

Ever since the roll over I have intermittent connection loss. It is annoying to say the least. Fortunately I can get the connection back by resetting the modem, router, and computer. After a while the connection is back. However I must do this daily whereas before I may have done it once in six months. ( I even have family down the road doing the same thing.) I hope this is only a temporary problem as the price of service is not worth the annoyance. (I must make sure a copy of this post is sent to my local office.) I tend to be very patience with computers and everything related to them since I worked for a computer hardware manufacturing company as a Tech Support Rep. and have seen some weird stuff. I know bugs/problems abound with any change to even the smallest and simplest thing. Nothing is perfect and some things are only learned by doing/trying.
New Visitor

well i have called comcast and i asked them same questions and the lady told me they were replacing the routers so it causes all that, btw iam in Deleware County, PA 19076 and maybe in other areas there doing the same, and my connection finally works....(good to)
New Visitor

Replacing routers. Yes, when we first got the service like 6 years ago, we were under another company known as @HOME. @HOME was a mess, the system would go down and then we would have to call California and mess with those people. The service would go out every week. So, @home did some upgrades, got a little better.. then they went bankrupt. So, Comcast built their own network.. and this got alot better. Still had some issues with some network traffic, and they eventually got fixed. May take some time, but it should get better.
New Visitor

I have the same problem - every evening I can't get online. Starting to get very discouraged. who do I call?
New Visitor

I have two computers hooked up to my cable modem via a router. One is a few feet from the router, the other is connected via a 100 ft. Ethernet cable. Its speed (throughput & download) is 1/2 the speed of the first computer. When I connect the 80 ft. Eternet cable directly to the cable modem, the speed doubles. What's up with that? Would I do better with a wireless router?
New Visitor

100ft of properly installed CAT5 should not degrade your download speed that significantly, it's more of a computer factor -- and you're in the wrong area, this is connection issues.

There's a lot of common issues here, something changed and is messing up a lot of user's connection -- hope Comcast fixes this, as I am about to switch to DSL.
New Visitor

Call Comcast and setup a PR. If that fails, call your local government. (on your bill each month, there should be a number for your County Franchise, call them and complain) But, atleast give Comcast one chance to solve your problem.
New Visitor

I have been getting an incredible amount of pop up ads everytime I start up Internet Explorer. Sometimes, while I am using a program, a pop up ad will interrupt my work. What can I do to stop all these pop up ads?
Most Valued Poster

Why did you post your question at the end of a 2 page thread which subject reads as " CABLE MODEM CONNECTION ISSUES!" \??

Please, post your question as a new thread including as much detail regarding the issue. The more details you provide, the better support we can attempt to offer to resolve your issue in the least amount of posts.

Thanks.
New Visitor

its the length of the cable for the 100 ft issue. catv usually needs boosting when it hits 100 ft. add in the router ,which doesnt amplify your signal, and the length of catv from your modem to your router and you were over that 100 ft. that is why the 80 ft cable makes such a huge difference in speed.
New Visitor

My trouble here in Dallas started a week ago. Modem cycling 2-3 times per day. Since then, it's been getting worse to the point where, today, the modem cycles every 10-15 minutes (it's taken me over 45 minutes to post this!). It doesn't stay connected more than 5 minutes tops!

I called both the local and toll-free Comcast numbers and get routed to a message stating that "...issues in your area that may be affecting connectivity...repairs have started..." I've been getting that same recording for a week and can't speak with a human. All attempts to circumvent the ACD simply hang up on me!

Since I'm IT bigot, I've checked cable connections, splitter (to the deditated line), even power at the outlet; just in case. Can't find anything wrong...

I've had this service for several years, including the old @Home, and it's never been this bad. Anyone have an idea as to what's going on in Dallas, and how I can actually speak to someone in tech support?
New Visitor

Heheheheee... welcome to the club. Same problem here in Denver, CO. I had the same recording. I was able at one point to get a phone answer and scheduled for a service call. Well, tech came replaced the cable modem. Sure, it worked a little better for the next 3 hours and then the problem came back and it's worst. Since then I have been trying to set up another appointment. No luck yet.

Good luck to you... 8D
New Visitor

My friend, I am having problems with Outlook in my computer to get the e-mails. It is giving me an error related to check is ports 25 and 110 are working. HOW can i check this in my laptop ??.

Thanks,

Your friend.
New Visitor

> I have been getting an incredible amount of pop up
> ads everytime I start up Internet Explorer.
> Sometimes, while I am using a program, a pop up ad
> will interrupt my work. What can I do to stop all
> these pop up ads?

My dad had this problem on his computer. He unknowingly had a piece of spyware called "PurityScan" on his system. The program bills itself as a way to make sure your computer is p0rn-free, but all it does is generate pop-up ads. Download Spybot (at http://security.kolla.de/) and scan your system. If it's there, it will tell you and you'll be able to delete it.
New Visitor

A cheap "*****" on connectors? What is a *****? I'm hoping I can get a little help here...
New Visitor

same type of issues in Grand Prairie, I had field techs out 3 times since early July. Just last night 8-23 a phone tech suggested that I may have a (known) power cord issue w/ my RCA modem. If this is the case based on the forum there are a lot of bad power cords out there. Extremly frustrating...as I am the un-official keeper of the internet at the house with 4 kids and a wife that is trying to work from home
New Visitor

Everything is running great in Oregon now that I found that the home builder cut some corners and installed a cable splitter in the walls on one of the 8 runs from the cable entrance in the garage. Was running a cable modem off what the Tech and I initially thought was a dedicated outlet for over a year. All the while the master bedroom TV was also on that run and after switching the cable modem to another outlet that definately was dedicated, all the problems went away.

Just an example of Murphy's Law.
Message was edited by: Anonymous
Networking Expert
Baric

Our typical elctrician/installer is clueless when it comes to best way to maintain data signal integrity. If you are having a home built and areinstalling cable and datacomm wiring, get someone who specializes in that to do the wiring and then check it before the walls are sheetrocked or covered up.
New Visitor

everytime i go to a certain website for example cokemusic.com my internet connection shuts down then starts up again it even does that when i acces my email iv tried renewing my ip which i dont know how to do and re setting it what other options do i have my family has had this problem for 3 weeks now and are considering about changin internet service providers so its a big problem loll.

(ps)
how do i renew my IP adress
New Visitor

I had high speed internet for a whole day. The next day I installed a Linksys wireless router while using the printed setup guide. The guide did not mention the setup CD-ROM that came with the router. I was supposed to use that first. I found this out after the fact. My problem:

As soon as I plugged the modem into the router & computer (Dell Pentium II, Win 98), a single light right next to the on/off switch on the modem started blinking continuously. (RCA modem xx315 or something) I took the router out of the loop and have since rebooted, reset a thousand times, unplugged, replugged and nothing but a continual single blink after initialization.

My questions:
1) is this a bad modem?
2) could this be caused by a straight through cable instead of a null cable?
3) has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks!