New Visitor

Cable Internet Filter

I want to move my comcast Internet access from one cable jack to another. Comcast's tech support said it will cost $50 to schedule someone to come out to remove the filter from the new jack even though I never asked for it to be installed. Is there a way I can do this without having the service person come out?

I am not trying to get free cable or anything; I'm simply trying to move my existing cable Internet service from one jack to another jack in the same house.
Regular Contributor

Re: Cable Internet Filter

What kind of filter are you talking about?
Regular Contributor

I have moved my modem 3 times to different jacks with out any problems. I think the filter is on your cable line. My guess is that your line's signal isnt that great and that they installed a filter to get some of the noise out of it. Hey you can always try it and if it doesnt work...put it back to where it was.
Most Valued Poster

I'm assuming you only have one cable drop from the pole to the house. If so, you can do anything you like in your house, and Comcast can do it's thing at the pole. Unless you have cable tv, there should no filter in your premises. The high pass filter installed on the tv line is to keep noise from feeding back into the modem upstream channel. Any other filters would be installed at the pole. No visit or charge required.
New Visitor

Thanks for the replies. I did eventually find the problem. The cable from the pole comes into my house and there it is split. At that splitter, Comcast installed filters on 2 of the splits and left 1 alone. I just moved one of the filters around so the jack I want to work is not filtered. Saved myself a $50 Comcast service call. It's funny that Tech Support can simply tell people this and save their service guys the trouble.
Most Valued Poster

> At that splitter, Comcast
> installed filters on 2 of the splits and left 1
> alone. I just moved one of the filters around so the
> jack I want to work is not filtered.

Sounds like you have a three way splitter. If that's true, the legs may have different attenuation levels. Make sure the line to the modem is connected to the 3db leg and the tv's to the two 7db legs. That will ensure that you are getting the same power at the modem you were before.