New Visitor
hpiper

Cable Modem rebooting itself for no obvious reason

I have been having trouble recently with my internet connection going out, when it goes out it is only down for a few minutes, then comes back up. I had been unable to figure out what was going on until today, when it happened I immediatly looked at the cable modem and all the lights were off except for power, then they all started blinking in unison for a while then slowly started coming back on one at a time. Once they were all normal I had my internet connection again.I have an Arris TM502g modem. Should I take it to a service center and get a replacement? I assume this was some kind of reboot, but nothing was happening at the time, no power fluctuations...nothing. I am kind of thinking something is wrong with the modem to cause this.

New Visitor
FuriaRi0T

Re: Cable Modem rebooting itself for no obvious reason

This is a very common side affect for a weak signal through the Coax connection. Calling your tech line and havin a technician come out ( sense they're supposed to test the connection with a decibel meter ) and have them install a 'reverse amplifier'. Most of the time, this solves the issue.
New Visitor
hpiper

[ Edited ]

I did the modem status check and my levels are right close to the middle of acceptable ranges both downstream and upstream. Down S/N -33db Power 3dbmV. Up 49dbmV

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Please give us more information:

1) Please connect your computer directly to the modem via Ethernet ( no router, no wireless, no USB )
2) Run ShaperProbe and post your results.
3) Post your upstream and downstream signal levels (click the link.) We are interested in your power levels (dBmV) and your Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR).
4) Let us know to what speed tier you subscribe.
5) Post the make a model of your modem.

New Visitor
raasukutty

This is the result that I get and the connect was reset automaticallty in the time the test was running.

[Downloads]$ ./ShaperProbe DiffProbe beta release. October 2009.Shaper Detection Module.
Connected to server 64.9.225.179.
Estimating capacity:Upstream: 6305 Kbps.Downstream: 12809 Kbps.
The measurement will last for about 2.5 minutes. Please wait.
Checking for traffic shapers:
Upstream: Burst size: 1330-1357 KB; Shaping rate: 5413 Kbps.
Downstream: Measurement aborted due to high packet loss rate.
For more information, visit: http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffprobe

[Downloads]$ 

New Visitor
cvijetics

[ Edited ]

I am having the exact same issue.

Connection keeps getting dropped intermittently and the modem looks like it resets itself for no reason. I've had the service since August 2010 with no issues until about a month ago when this started happening.

It happens both via the router connection and via direct modem connection.

The technicians were already here last week, and supposedly fixed the issue but it still remains outstanding.

Here is what they did:

* Replaced my old DOCSIS 2 modem with DOCSIS 3 (Ubee U10C035)

* They said something about a defective filter being on my line, which they took off

* They measured the signals before and after and said that whatever they did helped.

My modem signals can be seen here:

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/4509/modemnorouter.png

Here are my DiffProbe results:

DiffProbe beta release. October 2009. Build 1002.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 64.9.225.179.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 4191 Kbps.
Downstream: 11430 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: Burst size: 957-1028 KB;
Shaping rate: 2128 Kbps.

Downstream: Measurement aborted due to high packet loss rate.

I think it has to do with the Upstream signal, since, when the modem resets, the downstream light becomes solid right away, and the Upstream takes a while to become solid, and is sometimes green and sometimes blue.

I am located in TALLAHASSEE, FL.

HELP

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

raasukutty wrote:

This is the result that I get and the connect was reset automaticallty in the time the test was running.

We need more info pls. (see my first post).

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

[ Edited ]

I think it has to do with the Upstream signal, since, when the modem resets, the downstream light becomes solid right away, and the Upstream takes a while to become solid, and is sometimes green and sometimes blue.

I would suspect an upstream issue too. Your power level is a little high but not horrible. You should call Comcast and have them send another tech out, I don't think there is much we can do for you.

Contributor
Eavila

I have had this issue off and on every couple years. I even went out and bought my own cables and stuff figuring they went bad or something. But it never helped.

A tech finally came out and tested the lines and checked the splitters.

Turns out that in the crawlspace under my house, the primary splitter for the main coaxial cable going to all my rooms was sitting on the dirt - whenever it rains, the crawlspace gets water and the splitter corroded and rusted out. He showed it to me and it was a mess. I guess the guy who originally came out to hook up my cable and run the wires through the house didn't consider that a issue. (Even thoguh I have a sump-pump down there...)

The more recent tech replaced the splitter AND mounted it up under the floorboards so it wouldn't get wet again.

Been smooth-sailing ever since.

Just figured I'd share - not sure if you have the same issue or not. But I'm going to guess either a splitter or one of those little extension adaptors might need to be replaced if they are in any way exposed to water

or moisture. Over time, they all need to be replaced anyway.

The techs will firgure it out for you. They got cool gadgets to check all that stuff out.

New Visitor
cvijetics

Thanks for the input. I called them this morning and they are sending someone here tomorrow.

New Visitor
BadInternet

I am having the exact same problem -_-.  Looking on the forum and see all these others with the exact same problem and the Rep I have gone back a forth with still thinks its my computer.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

BadInternet wrote:

I am having the exact same problem -_-.  Looking on the forum and see all these others with the exact same problem and the Rep I have gone back a forth with still thinks its my computer.

It's not necessarily the same problem. The symptoms may be the same tho. 

New Visitor
hpiper

I thought the problem might have gone away, it stopped doing it completely for 2 days, then today it starts doing it again. I checked the status when it was working to see if anything had changed to cause it to start not rebooting all the time and the stats were all within 1 of what they were before and the same as they are now. Gonna exchange the modem and see it that helps, but based on all the people who are having the same problem I am not getting my hopes up.

Connection Expert
EG

FuriaRi0T wrote:
and have them install a 'reverse amplifier'.

This is not good to be giving out as "cookie cutter" advice....

New Visitor
bdistler

After 4 weeks of intermittent Internet drops

by modem rebooting itself

Comcast RCA modem was replace with a new

Motorola SB5101U on 06/06/2011

modem is on its own UPS

CABLE MODEM SIGNAL

Downstream  ValueFrequency 597000000 Hz

Signal To Noise Ratio 37.8 dB

Power Level 1.8 dBmV

Upstream  ValueChannel ID  5Frequency 37000000 Hz

Power 48.9 dBmV

-------------

CONFIGURATION

Frequency Plan      North American Standard/HRC/IRC

Upstream Channel ID 5

Frequency (Hz)      597000000

DHCP Server         Enabled

-------------

LOG

Time                          Priority        Code      Description

1970-01-01 00:04:06 3-Critical     I002.0    REG RSP not received

1970-01-01 00:03:12 5-Warning   D004.1  ToD request sent - No Response received

1970-01-01 00:02:57 3-Critical      D001.0  DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received

1970-01-01 00:02:23 6-Notice       M572.0  Dhcp Init Failed - Reinitialize MAC...

1970-01-01 00:02:20 3-Critical     D001.0    DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received

1970-01-01 00:00:07 6-Notice      M571.1   Ethernet link up - ready to pass packets

2011-06-12 14:40:18 6-Notice      M573.0   Modem Is Shutting Down and Rebooting...

2011-06-12 14:40:18 3-Critical     R004.0    Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance o

2011-06-12 14:39:20 4-Error        C401.0   DCC-ACK not received

2011-06-12 14:39:18 3-Critical     R002.0   No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out (US 5)

1970-01-01 00:03:39 3-Critical     D001.0   DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received

------------- 8< snip ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Jump over all the calls to Comcastand and tech visits'

During the most recent tech visit 06/09/2011 - the tech used a temp cable (longwire) from the pedestal to the modem(s)and his cable from the modem(s) to his laptop

( my new DOCSIS 2 modem, his new DOCSIS 2 modem and his new DOCSIS 3 modem) 3 tests

all 3 test had modems reboot themselves

That tech said the issue was on the other side of the pedestal

that was the last status I received from Comcast

I have made calls to Comcast for status update - told someone would call me

I have NOT received any call as of today

so far today 06/12/2011 the modem has reset 3 times

Connection Expert
EG