New Visitor

Cable modem upgrade

I've been renting Comcast's cable modem (SB4100) for over 2 years now, and would like to know if Comcast provide free upgrade to a newer/better cable modem for people like me ?
If not then could someone tell me if I use my own new cable modem and return the old one to Comcast, how much money can I save per month ? (now I pay $47.68/month)

Thanks
David
Mac Expert
Joel

Re: Cable modem upgrade

You pay $3 a month for modem rental. You are free to buy your own, or Comcast should upgrade to a newer one if you want to continue renting. The SB4100 is alleged to not be compatible with the upcoming gold-tier upgrade to 6.0, with a top d/l speed reported in this forum of about 4.9Mbps. In other words, it is entirely possible that if you are having no problems, and you're only upgrading to the 4.0 tier, you may possibly have issues exchanging it. All you can do is call and ask.
Regular Contributor

> You pay $3 a month for modem rental. You are free to
> buy your own, or Comcast should upgrade to a newer
> one if you want to continue renting. The SB4100 is
> alleged to not be compatible with the upcoming
> gold-tier upgrade to 6.0, with a top d/l speed
> reported in this forum of about 4.9Mbps. In other
> words, it is entirely possible that if you are having
> no problems, and you're only upgrading to the 4.0
> tier, you may possibly have issues exchanging it. All
> you can do is call and ask.

I've had the SB4100 since my ATTBI days and when I wasn't getting the 6Mbit speed I should be getting and after Jason1 posted to upgrade the modem, I called Tech Support and had a tech come out and upgrade the modem. He installed a SB5120 and my speed was still the same as before the upgrade. So, for some of us it is not an issue of modem upgrade.
Most Valued Poster

These are modems known right now that have a problem with the new speed increases:
unable to reach 4mbps: Terayon ECM615
unable to reach 6mbps:
Terayon ECM715, Thompson/RCA DCW615, Motorola SB4100, Motorola SB3100
New Visitor

Thanks for the reply.

David
New Visitor

My download speed is 4 Mbps, so looks like SB4100 can do its job well for now (based on my current service plan).
But I'm wondering if upgrading to a DOCSIS 2.0 compliant modem (such D-Link DCM 202) will make any difference ?
Probably it won't make any difference on the download speed, but I'd like to know if other aspects will be improved ?

Thanks
David
Most Valued Poster

The SB4100 can handle the 4MB speed but cannot handle the 6MB speed. No need to swap out the modem unless you plan to upgrade to the 6MB Speed Tier. You said the modem was working good, so what replace it if it is working.
Contributor

I noticed today that the modem config file is different. I am using a Terayon tj-715, but the speed appears to be the same. Is there a way to tell if it has been upgraded here? I should be updated to the 6mps speed.... since I been paying extra 10 a month for quite awhile. I am located in the 49107 zip code if that helps.
Contributor

My Terayon ECM715, shown above as being able to do 4 MB but not 6, would not do either, after two hours on line with tech support.
Could anybody spell out which modems WILL do 6? That would be more helpful to me than which ones won't. If I can't do either 4 or 6 should I just place a service call, and pray the techs will have the right one? I just swapped a dead modem a month ago, believe me the local Comcast office is handing out everybody the same modem, and I don't think they will (A) want me dictating what I want, or (:smileycool: have much of anything else.
Regular Problem Solver

Andante....
I know for a fact the Motorola SB5100 will pass 6Mbps/784k, since I own one and have had that speed for about a month now.....BTW....$64 at Wal-Mart for the 5100....:smileyhappy:
Visitor

Anyone know Comcast's modem upgrade policy? I've still get the SB2100 from two owners of the cable company and a new owner of the modem company ago (apparently Motorola bought the SURFBoard).

I'm going to try Broadband phone again and wonder if a new modem might help the latency issues that caused the quality not to be acceptable last time I tried phone over IP.

Of course I should have bought my own cable modem 5 years ago and not paid for the 2100 many times over but at this point I'd be tempted to rent an upgrade because some day I hope to move to where I can get DSL and set up a server. I have a no doubt outdated DSL modem from about 7 years ago before I moved here and don’t really want to pay $60 - $100 to buy my own cable modem if I might be shelving it with a move in the next year or less. Does a rental modem upgrade lock you into a contract like with cell phone upgrades? Also, if I buy my own modem will they really make me spend money and time to send the obsolete SB 2100 back to get them to stop charging me $3/month?

Will they upgrade my SB2100 just because I ask and would the replacement be a good one? I need external due to my router for the home network. Would the cable modem figure in at all in giving the IP phone priority or would that strictly be a router thing?

Thanks!
Bronze Star Contributor

Anon94440, they should upgrade the modem, I had a Motorola of my own that Comcast said was not working correctly, and they rented a RCA to me, but no change in the amount of dropouts and lack of bandwidth. As I understand Comcast sends software updates to modem once in a while. They said they couldn't do it to my modem because it was an older model.
Regular Problem Solver

Actually my 4100 handles the 6M just fine. Though I may have them upgrade me at some point anyway, its like 4 years old and runs really hot on the gold tier :-)

-Dave
Visitor

So contacted support via chat to ask about a modem upgrade. Never did get the transcript sent to me as requested but as best I remember the points where:

1. They can no longer just send modems. They have to send a technician who may decide to upgrade you and may also decide to charge you for the visit.

2. They may have done a proactive upgrade at some point in the past to get to a certain minimum standard modem but couldn't explain why I was missed (perhaps because I started too many cable companies ago?).

3. If you are getting some ridiculously slow minimum speed (like 256K down and 56K up) they can't escalate the case based on performance. DSLReports.com test+tools has me at 2,100 (2.1M) down so I should be 100% faster but nowhere near the 2,000% gap needed to escalate.

4. There was no mention of a contract lock in if even I do get the option to get a new modem but then the tech didn't know the difference between USB and Ethernet so might not have been up on business scams either.

I've got a tech coming out Saturday so if I'm still a customer after that I'll report how it goes.
Bronze Star Contributor

What should my Transmit speed and my receive be using the standard Comcast account?
Regular Problem Solver

"up to" 4.0mbit down, 384kbit up. Though it will typically be 10% less or so due to overhead.
Bronze Star Contributor

Thanks, now to find an accurate speed test.