Regular Contributor

Can anyone shed some light?

[ Edited ]

Well same old same old! I am SO ready to make the switch to DSL.

Here's some info to get you up to speed.

I have had Cable internet at my residence for going on 8 almost 9 years now. Started as Adelphia and I am now a Comcast customer. For the first 5-6 years I had Comcast I had some generic config file because what the website was showing and what I was PAYING for were not even available in my area. After discovering this and fighting my way to the top I was offered a decent discount that I accepted. So for a year or so I was paying half of what I used to and was OK with it because I now felt I was PAYING for what I was getting.

I was told by the person who helped me (Tom?) that when that offer ran out to call back and he would get in reinstated. Well, it ran out. When I couldn't find his number again I just called the 800 number and was told the couldn't help me as there was no offers going on at that time. I explained what tom? Said and they said they never do that.

I've let it go for months now but with times the way they are I can no longer justify paying for internet that is well bellow what I should be getting. EVERY night it drops to dial speeds and randomly throughout the day it does the same. I checked my modem and  I have the correct config file finally. I have had the right config for about 7 months now, but still have issues.

Here is a Shaper probe readout. I should be getting 12/2 but it jumps all over the place and I can never seem to get a reliable readout.

Shaper Probe

Windstream offers the same speeds at the same price in my area and I have friends that have it and have no problems so I am really thinking about making the switch!

Can anyone help?

EDIT: Ran another Shaper test and came up with this. What does "shaping rate" mean? I assume burst size is what I am getting?

Shaper Probe

EDIT 2: I forgot to include my modem info sorry.

Modem model info

Modem SNR/power stats

Regular Contributor

Re: Can anyone shed some light?

[ Edited ]

Bump for the night!

Anyone able to give me some insight on what the Shaper Probe readings mean? Also, it's been a while but I think my modem signals are within spec, correct?

Networking Expert
kevj

[ Edited ]

Take a llok at this thread for the meaning of all the terms in the ShaperProbe output:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24200764-Interpreting-Shaperprobe

At 6dBmv, your downstream power level may be considered a bit marginal. It could be causing some of the inconsistencies you are seing if it fluctuates toward the 7 or 8 range or higher..

Check to make sure you have no unnecessary splitters between the point where your cable is initially split to feed TVs and the modem. The modem should be on it's own branch, with no other splitters. Also verify all connections are tight and there is no corrosion on the connectors. Make sure all the coax cable is of good quality and not damaged.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Connection Expert
EG

Wouldn't less attenuation / better connectivity make the forward power even higher ?

Networking Expert
kevj

That's why you are the Connection expert,... lol. Sorry if I got it the wrong way round...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Connection Expert
EG

No worries Kev !! Thanks for always helping out here !! :smileycool:

Regular Contributor

Thanks for looking folks! Just checked my Downstream power level and it is now showing at 7.

No splitters in the line anywhere although, I live in a small 2 apartment building and there could be Something somewhere I can't see.

I don't really think its a line issue because when everything works it works great! Things have mostly gone done hill the most in the last month and a half or so. I suspect it has something to do with the cold weather moving in. A Comcast tech told me before that they have to adjust the amplifier up on the pole according to outside temps.

Regular Contributor

At this point Dial up is a better choice!

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2581121804.png

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Shaping=Powerboost. PowerBoost is a burst of speed that helps address the "bursty" nature of the internet. We want to know what your sustained speeds are verses the PowerBoost speeds that those online speed tests report.

It looks like your speeds are about 6/1 which is an "economy" tier. Do you know what speeds you should be getting?

Regular Contributor

I'm pretty sure I am on the performance tier, which I think is supposed to be 12/2?

My modem shows I have config file "d11_m_sb5100_silverpboost_c01.cm" which if I remember correctly was performance tier.

Everytime I have issues and try to get to the bottom of it I have trouble because the little Hill Billy town I live in is still in the stoneage and is always at the end of the upgrade list. For example Comcast tries to sell me extreme 105 everytime i have problems.... 105 is not available in my area. Actually I don't even know if I could get 50 here.

The worst part is paying $70 a month for 12/2 or whatever it is and never getting it. I can get faster DSL service for a little less than what I'm paying now. I have told Comcast representatives this before and they LAUGHED AT ME. They say there is no way I can get faster DSL at a cheaper price..... guess they don't know how this backward town works!

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

I asked ComcastLarry to take a look at your account to make sure everything is OK. He will be able to tell what tier you are subscribed to and what is available in your area. He can also make sure everything is provisioned correctly. He's a busy guy, give him a little time.

Regular Contributor

Thanks nerdburg, although i doubt there will be much he can do. My service seems to just come and go. When it works it works OK. When it doesn't, it just doesn't.

Old equipment, to many customers on old equipment, old lines. Take your pick, I'm sure when you add them all together they can cuase some serious problems.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

He might not be able to fix it, but at least he can eliminate it as a potential source of the issue. He said he's looking into it for you.

Regular Contributor

So, no change! Works pretty good all day then every night sometime after about 7:30 it slows to a crawl!

Before

http://speedtest.net/result/2588152235.png

After

http://speedtest.net/result/2588436848.png

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]
Regular Contributor

Right on time tonight!

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2593113725.png

Worked great all day then BOOM! 

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

I'd say at this point you should document the problem and call for a tech.

1-800-COMCAST (1-800-266-2278) or 1-800-XFINITY (1-800-934-6489)

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

So a little update.

Had a tech come out yesterday, said everything was fine. The only thing he said he could do is update my old modem to the new docsis 3 standard that they are using now.

I asked about congestion issues since it seem to be the worst in the evenings and he said that there is a "Saturation" problem that they are working on. He said something about them needing to upgrade/update something on there end to support all the new docsis 3 modems. He said they almost had it finished but the FCC stop them for the day and that it "should" be completed by next Wednesday. Time will tell I guess.

Then... Today I got an E-mail from Comcast about the speed increase. So... Have they been messing with this for the past two months or so and causing this problem or what?

My speeds down/up have improved WHEN my connection is working.

My new modem stats. Are those Downstream power levels to high? Also, why do I have 4 down channels and only 1 up?

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/4800/modemcapture329131132pm.jpg

Sorry for the wall of text and questions. At least I am starting to get somewhere now though!

Regular Contributor

2 upload channels now!

So i now have 2 upload channels instead of 1 and my upload has dropped back to where it was before the speed upgrade. Before the updated speeds i had around 3.6 up then the upgrade came and when i had 1 upload channel i was getting close to 5 up. Now that i have another upload channel for a total of 2 my speed has dropped back to around 3.6? Not a big deal but... i thought adding a channel would help and not hurt my service!