Regular Visitor
snakehouse

Can't view Youtube videos

I've been unable to view Youtube videos for most of the last week.  I'm on stuck on the endless circle.  Per some suggestions here and on Youtube, I've uninstalled Flash 10, re-installed it.  Upgraded Java. Unblocked and allowed youtube.com.  Upgraded firefox.  NOTHING.  I'm using a wireless connection, Windows XP, Firefox - and windows IE.  Tried husband's PC - Windows Vista and IE; tried daughter's laptop - Windows Vista and Firefox. Still the same results - endless loading.  Only one time did the video load, and that was an HD video.  

I did a speed test today, and this is what I got:  download 10.02 mb, upload 3.71 mb and ping 31 ms.

Tried to go to my modem page for a status report via this link http://192.168.100.1/ but it asked me for a username and password.  Where can I find that?

Coincidentally, we've had several outages all week, with both the internet and my digital voice going down. But I have no other problem with viewing other videos - Quicktime, hula, etc.  Just Youtube - embedded and/or on their site.  Please advice.

Contributor
daedalis

Re: Can't view Youtube videos

Same thing has been happening to me, usually have to reload the page a couple of times to get the video to work. Was fine in the past but the last week and now it's been horrible.

Regular Visitor
snakehouse

Found the solution to my own problem:  if the video is embedded (on facebook, etc), open up on Youtube.  In the address bar, add &fmt=18 to the end of the url (do not skip space).  This tricks youtube into playing this as a HD video, which was the only format I could originally watch.  

Thanks comcast.;/

Connection Expert
JamesR

Nice Fix.  How did you come up with it?

Regular Visitor
snakehouse

Wish I could take credit for it, but I found this on this goggle help forum:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/youtube/thread?tid=2c7836a5af7dd29b&hl=en

Also, I wanted to add that this fix only works if the problem is that videos just keep loading and loading and loading; if you are just getting a black screen with no slider bar on bottom, then there's something else going on.

Connection Expert
JamesR

Thanks for the input and the link.  There is a good chance that you have eliminated a lot of grief and frustration by post it here.:smileyhappy:

Visitor
esull9

[ Edited ]

We cannot view youtube videos (start then freeze), nor can we play certain online games.

here is what I have done so far:

PC vitals:

O/S is Vista Home Basic

I use a Linksys router (wireless G)

What I have done:

I have exhaustingly gone through uninstalling Flash and reinstalling (many many times)...don't even go there...  :smileyhappy:

My security setting i.e., javascript and activex have been checked

I do have admin privilages

I have had this PC and router setup when I was in Pa for the last couple of years...had verizon DSL...never had any of these issues.

Moved to NJ  a few months back...I now have comcast....ISSUES.

If anyone can assist please offer up some suggestions.

Thanks

Visitor
jfvanreu

Hi there,

I had very similar issues until yesterday when I finally took the time to look into this problem.

I couldn't watch YouTube videos. They never started or took hours to load. This was not a problem with Flash but with my LinkSys 54WRTG router.

Here is how I fixed my problem. Hopefully it will help someone too.

1. Test the speed of your Comcast internet connection by taking the network cable from your Comcast modem to your computer. I used speedtest.net to test the speed. At that level, I got great results (12 Mbps and higher) and was able to launch videos without a problem.

2. I then connected my router to the modem (using the same network cable) and connected only one computer to the router (using a wired connection). I checked the speed and I was down to 2 Mbps. About 6 times slower!! Launching videos on YouTube (and other sites) then becomes a nightmare.

3. I looked for some info on the internet and decided to update my router firmware. I had the WRT54G version 5 (as indicated on a sticker on the router). Some people recommended to update to Tomato (which may not be reversible) but I decided to update to the latest update provided by Cisco. I found it at the following location:

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/WRT54G

Cisco provides a PDF file with instructions about how to update the firmware.

4. After updating the firmware to Ver.1.02.8, I checked my speed and achieved the same results as without the router (at least 12 Mbps) and can now watch the YouTube videos on my computer and Tivo connected to the router.

Note that if you have multiple computers connected to the router at the same time, the bandwidth will get divided between these computers and it may become sluggish again. But it should probably be fine for videos if you can at least have 5 Mbps.

Ok, I hope this will help someone who is facing the same issue.

Good luck!

--Jean-Francois. 

Connection Expert
JamesR

Thanks for Sharing.  Good info is always welcome.

Connection Expert
EG

How 'bout totally upgrading to a router that is more current than a 54G, has a faster CPU, is wireless "N" capable and has better WAN to LAN throughput ?