New Visitor
Gatorjimmy

Change from Leased Cable Modem to Owner Purchased Cable Modem

I'd would like to change out my Comcast leased cable modem for a purchased Motorola SB6121 modemWhat are the stepsDo I connect modem and notify Comcast or call ComcastI assume the new modem has to be "registered" on the network in order to work?

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Change from Leased Cable Modem to Owner Purchased Cable Modem

[ Edited ]

Yes, the new modem does need to be registered.  You this in one of two ways, either you hook it up and follow the prompts when you try to hit any web page, or call Comcast support and have them do it over the phone.  You will need the model, serial number, and HFC MAC address when you call.  Basic steps are:

1. Disconnect the old cable modem completely.
  2. Connect the new cable modem to the coax, power and ethernet connections.
  3. Reboot your router (or computer if you have no router).
  4. On your computer go to any website.  With a new modem, you will likely be redirected to a "walled garden" page which will have instructions to register the modem, simply follow the instructions.
  5. If the above fails (it can be very touchy in some areas), call Comcast (1-800-COMCAST) and have them register the new modem directly over the phone.  This takes about 5-10 minutes.
  6. After the new modem is working properly, return the rental modem to Comcast and make sure you get a receipt, just in case there are any questions or misunderstandings down the road about whether you returned the modem or not.
New Visitor
bauer12

I also want to stop leasing my cable modem from Comcast and buy my own, but I have phone service with Comcast also and the leased modem I have has a phone port.  Can I purchase my own modem like this one and register it with Comcast as is suggested?

Networking Expert
Baric

Your choices if you have Xfinity Voice are MUCH more restricted.  In general, Comcast will refuse to provision a customer owned EMTA (Embedded Multimedia Terminal Adapter) unless you buy it from Comcast.  The catch is they only sell one model and then only in their kiosk stores in Best Buy and similar locations.  The exact model may vary from area to area but is usually an Arris TM722G.  This is a decent modem by all accounts and has been on the market for several years.  Last I heard, Comcast was selling these for $140 or thereabouts, and then you have to schedule installation, unlike a regular modem (who the heck knows why).  I have heard that in some areas you cn do a self install but you will have to find that out when you buy the modem from them.

Due to the cost it would take more than 2 years to break even (adding in installation costs), so you don't start saving money for quite a long time.  Now these devices are robust and last a long time typically, but if it breaks, you are liable to get it replaced, unlike if you rent it where Comcast will replace it for free.

With the cost of a regluar D3 cable modem around $75, this is a no-brainer, buy your own and save money.  With the EMTA, it's a much harder choice and depends on the individual customer.  For me, if I could do a self install, I'd do it, but if it required a Comcast visit, I'd say forget it. But that's me.

New Visitor
bauer12

Thanks for the info - I will look into buying it and whether I must purchase installation services.  I guess if all providers in our area (including Verizon) accepted the store bought modem, it would make the purchase easier, but then again I may just switch to cell phone service instead of Comcast phone which I think makes it easier to purchase a cable modem.

New Visitor
Westmeadow

I have Xfinity Voice and I'm also trying to replace my rented Comcast modem with one of my own. Is there any reason why I couldn't purchase the exact same modem that Comcast is renting me right now (RCA DHG536) or something similar off a website like eBay and use that? Does Comcast simply not support EMTA modems unless they're the Arris TM722G?

Thanks in advance

Networking Expert
Baric

They might provision for Internet use, but not phone use.  In general, you can't do this, you have to buy the EMTA from Comcast, not just buy a model that they use.  That's crazy, you say?  I agree but them's the rules...  You might be able to get this done in some few number of areas, but it's NOT regular practice.

New Visitor
Kaptajnen

[ Edited ]

Baric -

Having just gone through the activation process for a new modem, which involved hours of being "on Hold" and useless calls with Comcast's outsourced "Account Executives" in Costa Rica, Bangelore etc. I finally reached a U.S. based Supervisor who sorted out the problem and activated the new modem.

I am puzzled by your recommendation to just connect the new modem and then connect to a Comcast "walled garden" webpage. How can you connect to anything with a new modem that has not been activated???

What am I missing here?

Connection Expert
EG

Kaptajnen wrote:

I am puzzled by your recommendation to just connect the new modem and then connect to a Comcast "walled garden" webpage. How can you connect to anything with a new modem that has not been activated???

What am I missing here?

FWIW, that is exactly when the Walled Garden page should appear in a browser (with an un-provisioned modem) provided of course that there isn't a malfunction on the system.

Networking Expert
Baric

When you connect an unprovisioned modem, you can still pull a DHCP lease, it's just that the DNS server you get directs everything to one site that allows you to remotely activate/provision the modem to get a real DHCP lease.  In such a state, trying to go to ANY website in your browser always lands you are the same place, the so-called "walled garden" page.  

But you have to realize that Comcast's network is not homogenous, it's made up fo many different local systems, many of them using different equipment and setups.  This is the result of years of buying and merging of different cable systems.  They may all be Comcast now, but their old equipment is still in place until such time as it gets upgraded.  So this "walled garden" setup works in some areas but not others, or the page displays but the process won't complete, has errors etc.  It's a good first thing to try because if it works, no phone call needed and you're done.

Calling Comcast to provision a modem is usually a quick and painless experience, but as we all know there are way too many morons working the phones there and if you get one of these clueless reps, you're in for trouble.  You have my sympathies, but at least you got it taken care of, even if it did take much longer than it should have.   

New Visitor

Next time someone gets the "walled garden" URL, please post it on this forum. I'd like to activate my Motorola SB 6121, but just hooking it up and doing as Baric says does not get me there. And of course, I called Comcast but after going through a bunch of menus to get to the "Change Services" area, I got a message telling me to call back during business hours.

So much for Customer Service.

New Visitor

Here's the URL that I was taken to when I connected my SB6121.

https://activate.comcast.com/RoutingEngine/accountlookup.do

It seemed to work part way through the activation, until I ran into an issue that required me to call Comcast.  I had to connect my new modem directly to the cable connected at that wall, without going through the splitter.  Once I had connected that way, I was able to reconnect through the splitter, and everything worked for me.

Bronze Star Contributor
TerriB

Baric, You seem to know what you are talking about so maybe you can help me understand something.

When I  added voice and had the Arrris  TM502G EMTA installed for free by Comcast 2 years ago I already owned a Motorola surfboard cable modem just for internet of course. I had no knowledge about EMTAs. When I told him I had my own cable modem he connected it AND the EMTA so I have a hodge podge of dual connections from phone thru printer/fax all in one, blah blah.  Everything has worked just fine.

For over 2 months Comcast keeps calling/writing that to get all can out of the internet speed I need to upgrade my modem. I didn't know which one so I looked up the 3.0 capability and both are 2.0. I looked at my bill and its says $7 for voice/data modem. Really? I never investigated  before because everything has worked fine but I really do need to upgrade. So..... after I found out that the EMTA I have now carries voice and data so why in the world did the tech hook my Motorola cable modem back up if the EMTA takes its place AND  carries voice too all in one unit? Seems really dumb to me. Now what concerns me is that they are going to send me a new EMTA that has voice and data so I can just toss my Motorola cable modem and I am not sure I can undo what he did and just hook up dual purpose modem.

Any ideas? Thanks

Terri

Connection Expert
EG

TerriB wrote:
Now what concerns me is that they are going to send me a new EMTA that has voice and data so I can just toss my Motorola cable modem and I am not sure I can undo what he did and just hook up dual purpose modem.

Sure you can. Just disconnect the Motorola and remove the extra splitter and piece of jumper coax cable and then hook the coax line directly to the new modem. Connect a computer to it and open up a browser. If you see the Walled Garden "modem registration page" just follow the screen prompts. If you don't, or if it fails, just call in and tell the your want to provision a new modem. Have the make, model number, serial number, and the HFC / RF MAC address (usually on a label on the bottom or back) handy when you call.

Bronze Star Contributor
TerriB

Oh thank you so much. I looked and I see the splitter and a short piece of coax between my cable modem and the EMTA so I will remove the cable modem from the equation. The ethernet connection is on the cable modem. I assume there is a connection for it on the EMTA once the cable modem is removed?

Now here is the other issue if you can help. There is one phone cord leaving the phone/answering machine that sits next to the computer.  I can't follow it right now because it goes thru a hole in the back of my computer armoire that sits almost right up against the wall and I can't trace the line by myself . We either need to move it out or one of us tug on one end while I try to see its path back there to see what it connects to.  To muddy it even more there is a female phone line coupler in the EMTA with two phone cords and I know that one is the phone jack connection.  The coupled lines go to the all in one printer/fax/copier where there is a male line coupler  with the two phone cords feeding into the single female on the all in one.  I am telephony savvy from my 30 yrs at AT&T and I am embarrassed that I did not watch what the tech did. The couplers were not in use before the phone EMTA was installed.  I have one Comcast Digital Voice line.  Fax number is same as voice. My issue is that I am not sure what to leave in place when I get the new dual purpose EMTA. My first thought would be to take the Motorola cable modem out of the equation and leave all else ALONE and see what happens. I am getting a headache...the new EMTA will be here by next Friday.

Connection Expert
EG

TerriB wrote:

The ethernet connection is on the cable modem. I assume there is a connection for it on the EMTA once the cable modem is removed?

Yes. They may be giving you a combo eMTA / modem / gateway device that already has a built in router also with wireless capability. Don't know if you are already using a router so be aware of that possibility. That is another discussion.

Now here is the other issue if you can help. There is one phone cord leaving the phone/answering machine that sits next to the computer.  I can't follow it right now because it goes thru a hole in the back of my computer armoire that sits almost right up against the wall and I can't trace the line by myself . We either need to move it out or one of us tug on one end while I try to see its path back there to see what it connects to.  To muddy it even more there is a female phone line coupler in the EMTA with two phone cords and I know that one is the phone jack connection.  The coupled lines go to the all in one printer/fax/copier where there is a male line coupler  with the two phone cords feeding into the single female on the all in one.  I am telephony savvy from my 30 yrs at AT&T and I am embarrassed that I did not watch what the tech did. The couplers were not in use before the phone EMTA was installed.  I have one Comcast Digital Voice line.  Fax number is same as voice. My issue is that I am not sure what to leave in place when I get the new dual purpose EMTA. My first thought would be to take the Motorola cable modem out of the equation and leave all else ALONE and see what happens. I am getting a headache...the new EMTA will be here by next Friday.

Kind of tough to help on that one without being able to see the wiring. Basically, whatever telephone cord is plugged in to the current eMTA, just plug it in to the "line one" jack on the new one. You may be better off having a tech out if the wiring config is complicated.

Bronze Star Contributor
TerriB

I will do that way and hold my breath. I told Comcast on the phone what had be done by their tech and  that he should have never put my cable modem back into the configuration. They agreed. I  asked what if I could not reconfigure what he did to make the new EMTA work. They said someone would have come out which is fine with me but it will cost me $40. Boo Hiss on that. I live one mile from my Comcast office and 10 miles from their regional HQ so I may be making a visit or two about this.

Thanks so much for all your help
Terri

Connection Expert
EG

Good luck with it !

Bronze Star Contributor
TerriB

Thanks I may need luck!  I will report back when its all done or I have thrown it all into the Chesapeake Bay.

Visitor

One additional note for anyone installing your purchased cable modem. If you're running any custom DNS settings, (if you don't know what that means, then you likely DON'T have them), you need to remove them in order to get your new modem up and running.

I installed my new SB6141 and noticed that I wasn't getting redirected to the Comcast authorization webpage, as is normally done. I then called into Comcast, and gave them the new modem information they asked for, and it still wouldn't work, even after waiting the 15-30 minutes recommended. I finally remembered I had configured my system to use Google's DNS servers, (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4), so I deleted them from my config, and when I tried to access the first website, I was redirected to the Comcast authorization website.

I clicked through the new services webpages, and they even had my new modem information already entered in, (from the phone call). So it was just a matter of using the webpages to activate my SB6141. I even ended up getting a firmware update from Comcast, and after a few minutes everything was up and running.

Good Luck..

Bronze Star Contributor
TerriB

[ Edited ]

jasnn-

Does your SB6141 have a WIFI router? I had Motorola surfboard 2.0 modem of my own for many years until it became obsolete and would not handle the higher internet speeds and I  like the  Moto brand. I went back to leasing when I got the new 3.0 modem gateway to get perk of  WIFI but it sucked so I had to change it for one with no WIFI but still leased so things can settle down. I would love to get my own again witih WIFI and would like Motorola but want it all in one modem.

Thanks

Terri

New Visitor
rshrieve

jasnn wrote:

I finally remembered I had configured my system to use Google's DNS servers, (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4), so I deleted them from my config, and when I tried to access the first website, I was redirected to the Comcast authorization website.

jasnn - Thanks so much for that tip!  I also am using the Google DNS servers via my router.  I would NEVER have thought of that when my setup fails on the modem I'm awaiting.  I'l just delete them from the router and use the modem's default DNS.

Visitor
ehamadani

Yeah step 5 would work if they knew what they were doing. I like your simple 1-2-3 approach but 5 - 10 min which sounds great is more like...180 min and still not resolved. The online activation process didn't work for me either. Ughhhh....I soooo want to troll right now. 

Now, if your a business user it may actually take 5 - 10min.