New Visitor
ahawkeyes

Choice in DOCSIS 3.0 Modems

Hello, I was hoping someone could help me out in regards to procuring a DOCSIS 3.0 compatible cable modem. I recently upgraded my service to the "Blast" package and due to the constraints of DOCSIS 2.0 I must upgrade my modem. I asked the sales (associate?) if I could rent one from comcast or if I'd have to buy one. He seemed unsure and obviously also to the cost involved if I was able to rent one. So does anyone know if I can and what the subsequent cost would be? Also, I would appreciate any suggestions as to which docsis 3.0 router I should purchase. I looked at comcast's list of compatible modems but there are quite a few. I currently have an Apple Airport extreme and while it should be compatible.... well I'm sure we all know how these things work. 

Cheers. 

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

Re: Choice in DOCSIS 3.0 Modems

[ Edited ]

Do you own your current modem? If you want to rent one, it's typically $7/month right now.

There are several D3 modems available for retail sale. The most common are the Motorola SB6121 (4-channel) and new SB6141 (8-channel.) There is also the Zoom 5341J (8-channel), which is usually a bit cheaper.

There is no such thing as a D3 router. I think your Apple Airport should be fast enough.

Connection Expert
EG

Do you also have their phone service ? If so, things may become a bit more complicated.

New Visitor
ahawkeyes

I'm sorry, I meant a docsis 3.0 modem. I typed router on accident. 

New Visitor
ahawkeyes

And no, I do not have their phone service. 

Connection Expert
EG

ahawkeyes wrote:

And no, I do not have their phone service. 

O/k, so not an issue.

New Visitor
sdkman

I just installed an SB6141 DOCSIS 3 cable modem to replace my old SB5100 DOCSIS 2 modem.  I did this after COMCAST sent me an email suggesting that they had upgraded their network for greater data rates. They suggested that even a Performance level internet user could benefit from the DOSiS 3.0 modem.  But, so far, I am very disappointed.  The download speed with the new modem has not been above 0.5MBS.  The upload speed is 2-3 MBS.    This is worse than the old modem.  I guess, I am going back to the old modem . 

I have not found much support for the motorola modems.

Also, when I tried to call Comcast to register the new modem's MAC address, I got a sales pitch telling me to upgrade to triple play and rent the modem and integrated router.  They warned me that registering the MAC address would take 24 hours.    I don't suggest you the support line, but plug in the new modem and go through the self install procedure.   This will save you a lot of time.