Contributor
wilton62

Comcast Blast Woes...PLEASE READ!

[ Edited ]

I have had the performance package from comcast for at least a year now.  During this time, the best speeds I have reached was ~10mbps down and 3mbps up.  I was satisfied with this connection as i didn't spend much time at home.  I have since started working from home remotely and I thought it was time to inquire in some higher speeds.  And this is where the journey begins.

I called comcast in New Castle, DE and had my internet service upgraded to their "blast" package and I was promised speeds from 16mbps down and possible 20mbps with power boost.  The gentlemen at Comcast actually was nice enough to give this service to me for free for 6 months.  I was told to reboot my modem and I would receive near double speeds.  So needless to say, I was excited.

After I rebooted, I noticed that I was now netting 12mbps down and 3.5 mbps up during the middle of the night (off peak).

I then contacted comcast about the issue and they stated to me that the blast package varies in areas. He also confirmed that the issue is not hardware related at all.  He stated the the blast package was offered in 2 different forms.  16 in some areas and 8 in others.  He said I should be happy that it was reaching 12. Im not sure i agree with this and Im very disturbed that people can pay the same price for their "blast" product but are limited to half the speeds if you "live in a certain area".

Can someone please explain to me the reasoning of this??  Im sure this is a tier/programming/engineering issue and not hardware limited.  How can comcast do this to customers? How can they charge the same price for such major variables in speed?

Example:

Im going to sell you a 12 oz bottle of soda for 1 dollar.

Im going to sell your friend a 20 oz bottle of soda for the same price.

If im standing at the same stand for these soda's, and my friend can almost get double the soda for the money.  Why cant I?

He also said I could upgrade to extreme 50 or extreme 100 and I would need a router swap as well as 99-199$ more a month.  i would be guaranteed this speed because their aren't 2 variables in the package.  How does this make sense??

Please help.

TIA, John

Info of series 2 modem

Signals:

Frequency 717000000 Hz

STNR 36.3 dB

Power -5.5 dBmV

Channel 1

Frequency 23200000 Hz

Power 49.2 dBmv

Contributor
wilton62

Re: Comcast Blast Woes...PLEASE READ!

[ Edited ]

Some more information that I left out regarding my hardware in house.

RG6 Quad Shield

Cat6 (all devices wired)

D-Link DIR-825 Rev A1 (1g)

Realtek 81xx on board (1g)

i7 950 quad core (Custom)

Im also getting ALOT of these errors in the 100.1 log

DHCP FAILED - Requested Info not supported.

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out (US 2)

No Maintenance Broadcasts for Ranging opportunities received - T2 time-out

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out (US 1)

SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC framing

SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing

While the last two errors being the MOST in amount logged.

Thanks.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Blast, according to the Comcast site linked below, requires DOCSIS 3 service. You can check the list to see if your modem qualifies. If you rent it from Comcast and it doesn't qualify ask them for a model that does. Or you can buy one and save the monthly rental fee.

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

This link gives you a way to see if they offer DOCSIS 3 to your location. Not certain how up to date the information may be

http://www.comcast.com/fastestfast/

Bronze Star Contributor
japple650

FWIW I have Blast! and in my area(Michigan) it is in fact 16-20Mbps down, however I do not have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. My area is not set up for DOCSIS 3.0 therefore no local payment center carries them and Comcast will only send me DOCSIS 2.0. But I still get my Blast! speeds, so yes the Comcast chart does say that it is "required" but I can tell you now that a DOCSIS 2.0 will pass the 16-20Mbps.

Bronze Star Contributor

Even thought it's not yet available here, my performance improved after buying the DOCSIS 3 compliant SB6120.

Contributor
wilton62

Thanks all for the replies.

You are all correct.  My docsis 2 modem was the culprit.  I contacted my local service center and had it swapped out to a docsis 3, had it provisioned and whammo!  21.98 down 3.85 up.

Thanks for the help guys!

John

Contributor
wilton62

Additionally, I'm extremely happy to have a modem manufactured by Cisco vs. Motorola.

:smileyhappy:

Connection Expert
EG

wilton62 wrote:

Additionally, I'm extremely happy to have a modem manufactured by Cisco vs. Motorola.

:smileyhappy:

Not a Moto fan huh ? May I ask why ? I've had Moto's back to the 3100 to now having a 6120 and they've all been stellar performers and bulletproof.

Bronze Star Contributor
japple650

I will have to agree with EG, I haven't seen anything form Motorola that I hate?? But Cisco is nice too :smileyhappy:

Contributor
Mark3601

I have a ARRIS any comments on that one ? Never had one from them before but it appears to be good?

Mark

Contributor
wilton62

Mainly, just preference.  Their both heavyweights in the arena, which is why they formed an alliance to prevent google and apple from barging in on their turf.  I really wouldn't mind having a 6120, but when I saw mine was branded Cisco, I didn't have any worries about performance.  Motorola has been dominant mostly because of their purchase of General Instruments in the past.  Cisco on the other hand, is the elephant in the room.  Consumers should always love elephants.

Side Bar:  Why isn't Apple making HDTV's yet?  They would definitely kill the competition!

Connection Expert
EG

Sounds like a personal opinion..

Regular Contributor

japple650 wrote:

FWIW I have Blast! and in my area(Michigan) it is in fact 16-20Mbps down, however I do not have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. My area is not set up for DOCSIS 3.0 therefore no local payment center carries them and Comcast will only send me DOCSIS 2.0. But I still get my Blast! speeds, so yes the Comcast chart does say that it is "required" but I can tell you now that a DOCSIS 2.0 will pass the 16-20Mbps.

That's certainly correct, and even Comcast technical support and field techs will say so. A D2 modem should even be able to hit 30 or so, if there was such a tier (though you see about that with SpeedBoost). The OP must have hit upon some special circumstance to be limited to 12.

I've also seen plenty of people saying 4 up isn't an issue with D2. In my particular market, Portland, we're supposed to be getting 4, but I'm still only seeing 2 (the old speed, though I am getting the new speed of 20 down). I don't think that's a problem with my D2 modem, however. I think it's something on Comcast's end. I'd love to hear from anyone in Portland also seeing this phenomenon.

Finally, on the supposed D3 requirement for Blast, this appears on Comcast's site: "To upgrade to the Ultra or Extreme 50, speed, chat with a live Comcast representative or call 1-800-COMCAST. A DOCSIS 3.0 modem is required for Ultra and Extreme 50 speed tiers. DOCSIS 2.0 modems are unable to reach our faster speeds."

New Visitor
dptpsu

Ive had comcast services for years. I recently went to Directv for tv (which I love) and kept my internet and phone through comcast. I recieved a Arris DOCSIS 3.0 device from comcast with the basic "preformance package". This gave me anywhere from 20 mbps up to 25 mbps off peak download and upload in the range of 3-4mbps. This is of course above average in the download column, reason being is because I live directly across from a comcast "hub" location hut on my street. This of course is why im recieving way above average speeds. But like any American I was displeased and I wanted it to be faster faster faster so I called and got this so called "boost" which did improve it to 30-32mbps down and still the normal 3-4mbps up. For ten dollars extra a month is this worth it, I dont know but im going to keep it for awhile and see. 

Okay now onto what I think their systems do to prioritize internet connections. So as some already stated here you can call and they can give you a guaranteed connection at 50 mbps or 100 mbps with a monthly in the vicinity of 100 bones. The reason they will GUARANTEE this speed is because your paying half your left arm more they will give your this priority connection over other customers in that hub area. What does this mean, other customers in the "hub area" will then loose internet speed slightly if they are on a basic package or even a preformance package because these customers are not guarentteed a specific speed floor as the 50 and 100 are given. This of couse to me is not fail, but at the same time what can comcast do, there is only so much bandwith to deliver to the customers in the given hub areas and when more and more customers enter the hub they can less and less guarenttee the speed they sold to you which of couse again is not fair.

What it comes down to if your THAT concerned with your internet speed (says the guy getting up to 30mpbs haha) you need to get either their guarentteed 30, 50, or 100 mbps service at a hiked price but you will most definately recieve 100% of what your paying for 100% of the time, simple as that.

Now in closing we all have to understand one thing, comcast internet is a top tiered service provider and we should be happy were recieving even 10 mbps or even 8 for that matter. A few friends have a "competing" provider that are paying about the same a month with download between 1.5 mbps and 2. digest that, go home and enjoy the speed you all have. 

Connection Expert
EG

Six month old thread closed.