New Visitor

Comcast Dynamic IP Address Used with 'dyndns.org' and a Linksys WCG200 Cablemodem Router

[ Edited ]
I have signed up for an account on 'dyndns.org' and have a dynamic IP Address on Comcast.  The Linksys WCG200 Router does not have a section titled 'DYNDNS' or 'DDNS'.  This section appears on some D-Link routers and the purpose is to set up a hostname on dyndns.org and have your router every time it gets a new ip address, it will forward that ip address to dyndns.com.  I do not see anything inside the Linksys WCG200 utilities to accomodate this.  Can anyone help me with this issue ?
Message Edited by anchiavetta on 07-30-2009 08:40 PM
New Visitor

Comcast Dynamic IP Address Used with 'dyndns.org' and a Linksys WCG200 Cablemodem Router

I have a dynamic IP Address with Comcast and have a Linksys WCG200 Cablemodem Router.  I signed up on dyndns.org for an account.  There is no place that I can see to setup the 'DDNS' or 'DYNDNS' in the WCG200 setup.  I want to be able to send back my external IP address automatically to dyndns every time my router reboots or obtains an IP Address.  Can anyone help me with this ?
Regular Problem Solver

Re: Comcast Dynamic IP Address Used with 'dyndns.org' and a Linksys WCG200 Cablemodem Router

That sounds like a feature that Comcast would very likely omit from the crippled firmware that is provided with their Home Networking Service. Best advice is to get rid of the Comcast Home Networking package, buy your own router, and either buy a modem or rent one from Comcast in place of the WCG200 you have now. The router will pay for itself within a year in reduced monthly charges, and you will have a fully functional router with all the features the manufacturer provides.

Do not under any circumstances purchase a combo modem+router gateway!! As soon as you connect it to Comcast's network it will be loaded with Comcast's crippled firmware (All modem devices receive Comcast's firmware.), leaving you in the same situation you are in now, but with the additional disadvantage of owning a completely unsupported router. Because it's Comcast's custom firmware, the manufacturer can't help, and Comcast won't provide help for a customer-owned router.

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Comcast Dynamic IP Address Used with 'dyndns.org' and a Linksys WCG200 Cablemodem Router

[ Edited ]

anchiavetta wrote:
I have signed up for an account on 'dyndns.org' and have a dynamic IP Address on Comcast.  The Linksys WCG200 Router does not have a section titled 'DYNDNS' or 'DDNS'.  This section appears on some D-Link routers and the purpose is to set up a hostname on dyndns.org and have your router every time it gets a new ip address, it will forward that ip address to dyndns.com.  I do not see anything inside the Linksys WCG200 utilities to accomodate this.  Can anyone help me with this issue ?
Message Edited by anchiavetta on 07-30-2009 08:40 PM

You could download and install a dyndns update client on your computer. Dyndns offers several updaters here http://www.dyndns.com/support/clients/ 

Message Edited by FishMan on 07-31-2009 07:18 AM
Bronze Problem Solver

[ Edited ]

Merged with duplicate post from Home Networking Forum

Message Edited by FishMan on 07-31-2009 07:29 AM