New Visitor

Comcast Pro: Where's my speed increase?

I upgraded to Comcast Pro (3500/384) Monday, the tech said it would probably take effect within an hour. However, according to the speedtests I did last night and today, I do not see ANY significant download speed increases.
According to the DSLReport speedtest, my upload is indeed increased from 2xx to 3xx kbps now, but my download is still around 11xx to 14xx which is pretty much the same before the upgrade.
Tests at bandwidthplace.com indicates I have a connection of about 1.3 Mbps and I got around 10xx to 14xx on the MSN test.
I called Comcast and they said they cannot guarantee the download speed, but typically I should be getting around 3.1 Mbps at any major speedtest easily.
I asked them to see if there is something over there, and they said the server indicates I am on the Comcast Pro program, but since I only upgraded for about 36 hours there is not enough data from the cable modem to ananlyze and asked me to let it sit for at least two or three days before I call back.
Are there any one on this board also using the Comcast Pro? What kind of speeds do you typically get?
I am not going to pay $50 extra just for increasing my upload by 100kbps.

The modem is a Motorola SurfBoard SB4200
NIC: 3com 905c-TX-M (no driver tweaks)
Windows XP Pro (I did set QoS to 0)
Modem self diagnostic is reporting s/n ratios of 35 db, the tech said that is almost ideal.
Anything I can do to get to the speeds I should be getting?
Thanks in advance.

Self-Diagnostic Page

Downstream Value
Frequency 645000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 35 dB
QAM 64
Network Access Control Object ON
Power Level 3 dBmV The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
Channel ID 1
Frequency 23000000 Hz Ranged
Ranging Service ID 633
Symbol Rate 2.560 Msym/s
Power Level 37 dBmV

Would it help if I buy a SB5100 DOCSIS 2.0 Cable Modem?
I tried powercycling several times already and I still can't get 3.1 mbps or above.
Visitor

Re: Comcast Pro: Where's my speed increase?

From what I've read most people get close to their caps. Have you tried power cycling your modem to see if it receives the new config file. You can power cycle by keeping your modem unplugged for about 10-15 minutes. This should cause your modem to retrieve a new config file with the higher caps on it when you plug it back in.
New Visitor

I did powercycle it several times
May be I should let it sit for a half an hour
New Visitor

Thanks, but it ain't working.
I hope Comcast has a good explanation 14 hours from now...
New Visitor

Did another round of testing...
MSN 1621.6 kbps
BandwidthPlace 1.2 mbps
DSLReports 1285/332 kbps

It is 4AM now, I guess this proves this is not a time of the day issue.
New Visitor

I am in awe that you actually got trough to a human. What telephone number did you use. I gave up, asked for a callback by a representative, and was called back by a recording. By the time I was called back, the issue had been resolved, which you could look at as good as well as bad. I just wondered how you managed to get through.
New Visitor

1877-824-2288
Probably waited for 15 minutes, not that bad...
New Visitor

Try upgrading your modem to SB5100. This might help.
New Visitor

Besides I find Solitaire extremely helpful while waiting on the phone...
New Visitor

Upgrading to the SB 5100 might help, but I just realized that the $95 pricetag does include modem rental. So I should let Comcast figure this one out first.
Regular Contributor

whats the msn link to check the speed?
Bronze Star Contributor

Do you work for Comcast? That sounds like one fo their Techies? Might suggest, from the scripts they are given. 10 to 15 minutes??? is there a memory and battery to save that configuration file?

Sure is funny, EVERYONE I read is having slow speed problems and all you get from Tect support is jump through hoops and we may give you a bone, but you'll have to find it on your own as we don't care to really help!
Regular Contributor

I am in awe that you actually got trough to a human. What telephone number did you use. I gave up, asked for a callback by a representative, and was called back by a recording. By the time I was called back, the issue had been resolved, which you could look at as good as well as bad. I just wondered how you managed to get through.

i usually call 1888-comcast
i always get through. the longest i've waited on hold was 10 min.
New Visitor

Just installed the SB 5100, I am still not getting higher download speeds. I guess that rules out faulty modem problems. I am seriously wondering whether Comcast put me on the right configuration or not.
New Visitor

This problem is getting ridiculous...Now they want me to wait until next Monday...Whatever, I am calling again tomorrow morning.
Most Valued Poster
Most Valued Poster
DTI

> I upgraded to Comcast Pro (3500/384) Monday, the tech
> said it would probably take effect within an hour.
>

They got a live one
You swallowed their line, hook and sinker.

For your info every one is going to get 3000 down load speed with in the next two months in order to compete with Virizon.
They are upgrading the network.
Regular Contributor

I ran this at DSL Reports:

2003-07-11 08:55:58 EST: 1358 / 223
Your download speed : 1358083 bps, or 1358 kbps.
A 165.7 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 223388 bps, or 223 kbps.
Seems like broadband .. above the 1mbit barrier!

CNET

1813 Kbps - You 1813 kbps
Regular Contributor

Just ran this test at Bandwidth Place:

743.8 kilobits per second

Run the test again Discuss in the forum
Details

Your raw speed was 743833.11 bits per second which is the same as:

Communications

743.8 kilobits per second
How communication devices are rated. Kilo means 1,000 and mega means 1,000,000. Examples include 56k modem and 10Mbit Ethernet

Storage

90.8 kilobytes per second
The way data is measured on your hard drive and how file sharing and FTP programs measure transfer speeds. Kilo is 1,024 and mega is 1,048,576.

1MB file download

11.3 seconds
The time it would take you to download a 1 megabyte file at this speed.

Rating

Compared to all connection types worldwide, yours is fantastic
Comparisons

your speed

T1

56k modem

Complete stats See all the speed test statistics
Info

test type Downstream Test v3 (605 KB idt type)

test was run 3:01CDT Jul 11, 2003
Most Valued Poster
Zathros

Since your upstream has improved, I expect you have the "pro" level config (caps) loaded in your modem.

But I wonder... Comcast's net issues aside, is your PC capable of doing 3 Mbps down? Have you taken any action towards tuning the IP stack to improve throughput?

Back in the @Home days, when we had a 3000 Kbps cap, my housemate was never able to sustain much more than 1.4 Mbps on his high-end PC, even after tuning it.

Nowadays, Comcast rarely feeds us at more than 1100 Kbps, so can't really tell where things stand...

FWIW,
- Dan.
- Dan.
  EARTH FIRST! We'll strip-mine the other planets later.
New Visitor

IP stack stuff? Did all the TCPIP optimizations from SpeedGuide.
My PC unable to handle speeds above my current level?
That sounds like the biggest joke of the year. No offense, I get what you mean but it is unlikely.
When this machine was in the dorm, it was sucking up everyone's bandwidth. Hard to beat a 3com 3c905c on that.
New Visitor

After bouncing me through 5 different reps (which means I have to describe the same problem 5 times), they finally offered to schedule a service visit this Sunday between 12-4.
I'll see how it goes...

and a word of advice: do not call the tech support night shift...
It's hard to talk to someone who is obviously tired and is starting to show caffeine anxiety.
Regular Contributor

I don't have Comcast Pro, but perhaps being in the SF Bay Area helps with the speed. I have not had the up and dl speed since @Home. And then again, the @Home speed decreased just prior to the AT & T take over. Those were the good old days.
New Visitor

Here are a whole bunch of speed test sites

http://home.cfl.rr.com/eaa/Bandwidth.htm

I have tested several today after moving my wireless router and modem to another cable outlet in the house (was getting in the 200 range both up and down before). So far I have:

1457/178
1193/247
3709/454
2720/333
2048/251
925/223 (Speakeasy CA to NY)
1927/223 (Speakeasy N.CA to S.CA)
Most Valued Poster

FANGDAN, are you in Comcast Legacy market or Ex-ATTBI market??
New Visitor

Former ATTBI market...sigh...
New Visitor

BTW, I changed the 3com NIC to max performance mode, however that didn't seem to be the solution either.

I also noticed a thread at DSLreports, someone was complaining about crawling speeds in Seattle...might be a district infrastructure issue afterall.
Message was edited by: FANGDAN
Most Valued Poster

When you called up support, what config file was going to your modem??
New Visitor

They said the modem should be using the Pro boot file and given the fact that the upload is increased probably means that is right, but we still have no idea about the download part.
Regular Contributor

It was probably the pro config file, because his upload speed on the speed test was above 256K - but still, I'd check to be sure.
Regular Contributor

Well, I'm not an expert, just a mazta - but....

1) How fast is your PC? Does it blow away the minimum requirements for the CHSI service?

2) Clean up Windows. Uninstall any unused or little-used programs. Turn off any file-sharing programs like Kazaa. Try running msconfig and disable all startup items (except System Tray for Win98 users). Defragment the hard drive. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

3) Clean out IE. Clear out the cache and cookies. Lower the cache size waaaay down to like 300MB. Remove any proxy settings, even the automatic detection. Set security, privacy, and advanced tabs to default settings then apply.

4) Clean out the malware. Run your AV program. Download a spyware removal program like Spybot or Ad-aware and run it.

5) Got a router? Firewall? Anti-virus program with internet-scanning ability? Try disabling one or all. Bypass the router and run the speed tests again.

Just general computer speed tips that might help a little.
New Visitor

Athlon XP 2800+
1GB DDR 333 Dual Channel
Dual Maxtor 80G HDD
GeForce 4 Ti 4600
Audigy 2
3com 3c905c-TX-M
LiteOn 48246s
Sony DDU-1612 16x DVD
Windows XP Pro SP1

I would be surprised if this system doesn't satisfy the minimum reqs...
I tried the speedtest both enabling and disabling Norton AV with no effect on net performance.
Ad-aware detects no spywares...
P2P was not running during speed tests.
Contributor

Mazta,

Get real. These people are talking about a change in service from ATTBI to Comcast. They have the same PCs they had before, and the only change is the takeover of ATTBI by Comcast. They haven't changed a thing from their end.

Don't give them that crap about optimizing their PCs. It's always a good idea, but it isn't the solution to this problem. All they want is what they had before.

If we're all patient, Comcast will work it out.

Geez, you sound like a Comcast Tech.
New Visitor

call comcast and have the correct the boot & configuration files on your modem (they can do it while your are on the phone). I had the same problem, a friend of mine that works there said that my modem was showing a boot file for the normal service (1.5 mb).

If you look at your modems configuration (http://192.168.100.1) make sure the boot file says *.gold (ex. bootfile.gold)
Regular Contributor

Dennis,

Thanks for calling my help "crap". I appreciate that. :smileysad:

It may sound like "crap" to you, but those tips are very important. Things like file sharing, proxy settings, spyware, and so on CAN and WILL slow down an internet connection, even to the point of not being able to surf.
New Visitor

Where do I find the bootfile? I just looked at the log and found some serious issues...doesn't look good

2003-07-11 12:31:34 3-Critical 0x0501BDC8 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC framing
2003-07-11 12:31:51 3-Critical 0x0501BD64 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
2003-07-11 12:31:46 3-Critical 0x0501BE90 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to receive MAC SYNC frame within time-out period
2003-07-11 12:31:55 3-Critical 0x04E33948 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
1970-01-01 00:00:13 4-Error 0x040D9A93 ToD request sent- No Response received
2003-07-13 12:53:11 3-Critical 0x0459E508 REG RSP not received
New Visitor

I have a Motorola modem, you can see your bootfile. Not all modems let you see all info you really want to know.

It looks like your modem is ranging and can't grab a signal. Sorry, looks like your gonna have to make that call.
Most Valued Poster
Zathros

Re: Here are a whole bunch of speed test sites

Have you verified the problem isn't your wireless router?

- Dan.
- Dan.
  EARTH FIRST! We'll strip-mine the other planets later.
New Visitor

Ain't it just amazing how none of these tips & tricks got any ink in the brochure? And here I thought I was being clever using all that stuff Whats-his-face said to get rid of! What a set-up for Omnivore.
New Visitor

nothing on a pc or router can make the modem lose sync. The only way the modem will lose sync is if it's a signal issue or outage on Comcast end.
Regular Contributor

From the look of this post, it looks like FANGDAN is looking for the numbers, I dont think he is saying he has a "speed problem" using his connection. Mazta, those steps you listed are accurate, but they wont help when someone is specifically looking to hit his cap.

FANGDAN, if you are getting Pro service, you wont always hit cap. Specifically looking for numbers wont show you anything different. Some people may see the whole picture when checking bandwidth, some (like you) may only see 100k in difference when checking bandwidth. You may hit cap on DSL reports, when your neighbor does not. However, if he has Pro, he will definitly see the difference.

What matters is when you really start chugging, like running 50 programs at once. Thats when the extra amount of pipe being open is going to show....if you could ever do anything to utilize all of the speed Pro service offers. If you are looking for a service that guarentees you 100% bandwidth 100% of the time, stop looking, because no company can guarentee that you will hit cap with every bndwidth check. If you are looking for extra speed because you actually use that much, you have the right service. All you need to do is confirm you have the right bootfile, and it looks like you ahev done that.
Regular Contributor

Whoever said Patience is a virtue obviously didn't have Comcast as an ISP.
New Visitor

what do u mean by that" theyre gonna increase dl speeds" does this mean for regular cable customers?( those without the pro service) Also are they ever gonna increase the uploda more to like 1000? Upload is more important now that dl.
New Visitor

is this for home user comcsat subscribers(those without the pro servce) i still think upload is more important for speed increase. needs to be 1000 upload
New Visitor

Posted: Jul 13, 2003 6:37 PM

From the look of this post, it looks like FANGDAN is looking for the numbers, I dont think he is saying he has a "speed problem" using his connection. Mazta, those steps you listed are accurate, but they wont help when someone is specifically looking to hit his cap.

FANGDAN, if you are getting Pro service, you wont always hit cap. Specifically looking for numbers wont show you anything different. Some people may see the whole picture when checking bandwidth, some (like you) may only see 100k in difference when checking bandwidth. You may hit cap on DSL reports, when your neighbor does not. However, if he has Pro, he will definitly see the difference.

What matters is when you really start chugging, like running 50 programs at once. Thats when the extra amount of pipe being open is going to show....if you could ever do anything to utilize all of the speed Pro service offers. If you are looking for a service that guarentees you 100% bandwidth 100% of the time, stop looking, because no company can guarentee that you will hit cap with every bndwidth check. If you are looking for extra speed because you actually use that much, you have the right service. All you need to do is confirm you have the right bootfile, and it looks like you ahev done that.

=========================================================Thank you, I guess I would have to clarify a few things here.
1. I understand that I will probably never hit my cap as in any kind of connection. However what I am looking is not exactly a number either, you are making me sound like a speed freak. You want to see the big picture? Here is the big picture: If you are essentially paying double, and your pie is not doubled, how would you feel?
If you order something and the company only manages to devliver half of the goods, would you just sit there and accept it as is? Well, if most ppl think like you, a lot of lawyers are going to lose their jobs. No, don't look at me the wrong way, I am not saying I am going to sue Comcast for this, I am just speaking figureatively.

For $95/mo, you should get 3500/384. Today, Comcast only seemed to deliver half of that promise. I do not see ANY difference in terms of the download part, and you think I should hapiily live with it?

Your second part is even more interesting. Hey, it's not like I haven't tried that. I still can't watch 300k streaming video with eDonkey running in the background.
My friend lives two blocks away, and his can.
See the difference here?
The more demand the more of ports/pipes opened up? That is the first time I heard something like that, and I don't think bandwidth works that way.
Regular Contributor

I think you misunderstood me a bit. As far as numbers go, you wont alwaysbe chugging at maximum capacity. However, utilizing the connection, you should see some difference.

Im not saying you should just be happy with anything. What I am saying is, dont run a speed test and make judgements from there. Push your ocnnection to the edge and see if there is a difference from the regular service, thats the only way youll be able to truly see if what you are really getting. We all know Comcast doesnt guarentee their speeds. Everyone is going to see an increase with pro, but not everyone is going to hit cap. Its up to you to find what you are really getting, and decide if thats acceptable.
New Visitor

After a week of trying and 3 technician visits, I've decided to revert back to the old service.
New Visitor

I had the same problem. I called tier 2 and they "pushed" my new config file....I now get blazing speed.
Most Valued Poster

Sorry I didnt get to you sooner.

When you had the " proper config file ", did they tell you what speeds the modem was set up for??
They should have said, 384/3500 ??

If you did in fact get the proper config file, did you try doing any tweaking of your registry say at
SPEEDGUIDE
OR
CYBERWIZARD

This may have been all you really needed.

Plus download speed is still limited to the server you are connecting. If you are attempting to get a faster download of an MP3 file off of Kazaa or eDonkey at 3,000 kbps, that is not likely to occur because most people can not upload at that type of speed. ( But I am sure you are aware of the limitations of downloading )
Most Valued Poster

On the newer Motorola modems(and probably others), Comcast has disabled the more detailed user interface that included the downloaded config speed caps. This should be re-enabled so that subscribers can check their authorized caps and prevent these sort of issues.