Regular Contributor

Comcast blocking torrent seeding?

Everything I've read about Comcast's network management policies says that they've stopped messing with Bittorrent traffic. But every time I use a BT app, seeding completed torrents is very problematic. I have no problems downloading torrents, and there is no problem uploading data while I'm downloading. But as soon as a torrent finishes downloading, it's like the client can't connect to most of the peers on the torrent. What happens is, when my client (uTorrent) tries to connect a peer (leecher), the peer is added to the peer list for a few seconds, but then that peer disappears from the list, like the connection has been chopped off. And this happens repeatedly. As a result, my upload speed is very low for completed torrents. Only a few peers "slip through the cracks" and maintain connection.

The seeding issue has existed on my service for years. This is not a problem with the router or with the configuration or with the signal. I have had this happen over several modems. I've tried multiple BT clients. All show the same symptoms. Again, I have no problem uploading torrent data at full speed as long as I'm downloading the same torrent. It's just that my client can't keep a connection to other peers as long as I'm seeding. I also don't have any problems uploading data using any other protocol, including eMule, FTP, etc.

I know Comcast officially used to throttle BT traffic years ago, but it's like they forgot to turn off the Sandvine boxes in my area. I'm from the NW suburban Chicago area. Can someone from Comcast look into this for me?

Connection Expert
EG

Re: Comcast blocking torrent seeding?

Have you called in to report it ?

Regular Contributor

No, I thought I'd try to post here first. Maybe others are having the same issue. I suspect Comcast will just tell me they don't regulate BT traffic and that it's something on my end.

Connection Expert
EG

This is mainly a customer to customer type of help venue. Your issue may or may not be seen by a Comcast employee. Other forms of contacting them "may" be more effective than posting here. Good luck !

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

I don't think you're on the right track thinking that Comcast is forging packets again. Comcast has changed their ways and have made very good efforts to be transparent about their network management scheme. It's possible you are being subject to congestion managment tho. But, Comcast does not block P2P traffic or torrent applications as part of its current network congestion management technique.The technique does not manage congestion based on activities, protocols or applications; it only focuses on the heaviest users in real time.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yeah, I understand that CC doesn't interfere with protocols, nerdburg. That's actually why I posted. Something is happening with my service that shouldn't be happening. I have never experienced this general congestion management BTW. It's only this specific issue with BT.

I'm not saying they started to throttle BT again. I'm saying they never stopped in my case. My BT seeding hasn't worked properly since probably 2007. That's why I'm wondering if this is because of some oversight or something. Maybe they forgot to disable their Sandvine devices in my area. :smileyconfused:

Also, forging TCP Reset packets is not the way they do it anymore, if that's what you're talking about. Modern BT clients use both TCP and UDP. If it was just the fake reset packets, UDP connections would still work just fine. From my observations, what they do is detect the BT handshake based on heuristics like packet timing and size. They don't even need to look at the packet contents. It's all very clever. And then they simply block all packets between me and the remote ip/port. So from my end, it looks like the other peer just dropped off the face of the earth.   :smileyhappy:

Regular Contributor

I also get these log messages many times a second in uTorrent:

Disconnect: Peer error: offline (timed out)

Disconnect: Connection closed

Disconnect: Peer error: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

New Visitor
aleph23

I've been having the exact same issue.  Tried everything I can and it must be on Comcast's end.  The only solution I've found -- and it's not really a solution -- is to throttle my download speeds so that I can seed to 100% ratio before I've finished leeching.:smileysad:

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Great, I'm not the only one.  :smileyhappy:  Hey, aleph, where are you from?

New Visitor
aleph23

I live in the Baltimore area atm.  You? 

Weird thing is, for me this just started about a month ago.  Prior to that everything was fine.  I've tried directing the traffic through :80 to no avail.  Haven't tried VPN tunneling yet.  I'm not a hard core bittorrent user, I just hate to not fully seed.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm from suburban Chicago. You say this started a month ago? You know, in your case, it might not be Comcast's fault, but something else. I don't think Comcast would just start throttling BT all of a sudden. Maybe you're just downloading overseeded torrents? Do you get peers that drop off a few seconds after they connect to you?

New Visitor
aleph23

[ Edited ]

Less than a few seconds.  Nearly immediately.  And peer ratios range from 1:40 (seed : peer) to 2:1.  Not over seeded by my previous experience.

Contributor
davygrvy

[ Edited ]

When you find a solution, please post it.  I've had this issue for over a year.  I tried btguard, but their server had problems

Bronze Star Contributor
kraze1994

It honestly sounds like you guys have just got a bad string of torrents. However in Utorrent which I would personally recommend you use make sure you have forced outgoing encryption/allow incoming legacy connections. 

Also making sure you do not have a low upload speed set from within Utorrent  and check your queueing tab in Utorrent preferences. 

Connection Expert
EG

kraze1994 wrote:

Also making sure you do not have a low upload speed set from within Utorrent  and check your queueing tab in Utorrent preferences. 

One would also not want to saturate their upstream either as this may cause an issue as well. The key may be to find the right upload percentage.

Contributor
davygrvy

Fixed.. I jumped to a conclusion. 

Being on Ubuntu, I've been favoring Deluge for a client, but just found that uTorrent runs fine under wine.  uTorrent screams by its use of uTP and grabs losts more peers through a better working PEX and DHT implementation than Deluge.  Don't ask me why.. I'm just a user.

New Visitor

Same problem here.  Exact to the letter.  It's been like this over a couple of years, different modems, different routers, nothing fixes it.

Not sure what the fix is but I would wager it's on Comcast's end.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Guys, I don't think this is a problem with Comcast anymore. I actually changed my mind about them throttling BT. So don't blame Comcast. :smileyhappy: I think the explanation is simply that most torrents I download are overseeded. A lot more people have broadband than did a few years ago. Because of that and internet speeds having risen substantially, the ratio of seeders to leachers has in turn increased dramatically.

The error messages I observed in utorrent are probably due to the program trying to link up with other seeders. The problem is not dropped connections. That's just the way uTorrent works.

Also, what might help with seeding in uTorrent is raising your maximum upload slots per torrent and maximum connected peers per torrent. Contrary to what someone said, you don't have to enable encryption since Comcast doesn't mess with BT. (And even if they did, encryption would be pointless since throttling technologies are way ahead of builtin protocol obfuscation.) It may even hurt your throughput. This also applies to features like lazy bitfield, which I have turned off. And of course, use uTorrent if you're using another client, as someone has mentioned.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

Post by gwwwwwwwwwww  removed for violating posting guidelines

Forum Guidelines

(which everyone should read before making his/her first post) state

Please Don't

2. Use Profanity

Please keep your posts clean. Our forums have an automated profanity filter to block out inappropriate language. Please do not circumvent it by finding colorful ways to approximate or disguise those words. If you are caught trying to bypass the filters in any way, your posting privileges may be revoked.

New Visitor
FarleyDukewat

one word for all the comcast supporters and those that say that comcast ISNT preventign bit torrents from being transfered

SANDVINE

big brother isnt jsut watchign , he deciding what you can watch .

New Visitor
FarleyDukewat

wrong. its totally comcast its totally intentional and they pay good money to screw their customers over . its called SANDVINE

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg