New Visitor
redmondgeek

Comcast is throttling download speed for certain sites

I need to connect to my friend's web server to download large files quite often and recently the download speed has been limited to 300K. Upon further investigation, I realized that only downloading large files from his server is throttled.  Has anyone also experienced the same problem? If I try to download the same file using a different network (non- Comcast), I can download at 30mb/sec. I try to use either HTTP or FTP and get the same result when I connect to his server via Comcast. The same setup used to be much faster at 30-50mb/s till last week. Other than that I can normally get anywhere between 30-60mb/sec on my Comcast which I am pretty happy with. Who do I need to talk to at Comcast to unblock this issue?

Bronze Problem Solver
Jim721

Re: Comcast is throttling download speed for certain sites

No one at comcast will ever admit they throttle. They claim they dont do that but as with anything with comcast take it with a grain of salt. Call them and ask them whats going on we are just customers here like yourself and have no way to answer that type of question. Good Luck !!

New Visitor
redmondgeek

I hope someone from Comcast replies here.

Security Expert
CajunTek

Me too, I escalated this to the admins....

TANSTAAFL!!

Contributor

redmondgeek

Try this: http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffprobe/shaperprobe.html 

May not help, but worth a try.  I used to work at MS as tech in building 2 and 16.  Miss that, but not the rain!

Contributor
Godzla

I can tell you with 100% certainty that Comcast throttles downloads. 

Ask me how I know with 100% certainty. 

Well, I just tried to download a 1gb file with my Comcast internet and it downloaded at less than 100kbs.  I then disconnected Comcast and connected to my 4g Verizon cell phone as a hotspot and guess what happened?  I was able to download the exact same 1gb file at 1.5mbs, which is more than 15 times faster.  I then reconected to Comcast and did a speed test at speedtest.com.  The results of this showed that my internet connection is downloading at the speed it is suppose to. I even connected directly to Comcast's cable modem with no router and had the exact same result of less than 100kbs.

The slow speeds started approximately October 2013 and I've done nothing to any part of my internet components.  That proves with 100% certainty that Comcast throttles downloads.

I'm going back to ATT and DirectTV.

Connection Expert
EG

Six month old thread closed.