Recognized Contributor

Connecting Windows ME

Can anyone help me. I typically use Windows XP, but have issues and need to hook-up my old computer to the internet. My modem has a USB port also, so can I just connect my Windows ME USB to the modem?
Does anyone know how to set this up? thanks
Most Valued Poster
jw50

Re: Connecting Windows ME

If you are asking if you can have your XP computer connected to the modem with an ethernet cable and then connect your ME computer to the modem with a USB cable then the answer is no, you cant do that.

If you just need to switch the computers for awhile then unplug the modem, switch the computers but stay with the ethernet connection (just unplug the ethernet cable from the XP box and plug it into the ME box), wait at least 10 mins or so, plug the modem back in and wait for it to completely reset. Then boot the computer. When you want to go back to the XP computer just do the same thing again.

If you want both computers connected to the internet at the same time then you will need to get a router.
Recognized Contributor

I was needing to unhook my XP and use ME for a while. The problem I have is my ME does not have an ethernet adapter, only USB plug. Can I do this or do I need to get a NIC card.
Most Valued Poster
jw50

You can use the USB, however you might have to call Comcast and give them the MAC address of the USB port on the modem if it doesn't work after switching the computers. You may also have to call them again when you switch back to ethernet.
Recognized Contributor

Is there any special way I need to configure the ME computer to connect? With my XP it's literally plug and go. Do I need an install disk from Comcast for drivers or anything? Thanks
Most Valued Poster
jw50

You dont need the Comcast CD, but you may need the modem CD to setup a USB network connection on the ME computer. Check the website for your modem and see if they have any info on setting it up on ME.

It might be better just to get a NIC for the ME computer in case you need to do this again in the future or in case you decide to get a router and have both of them connected.