Regular Contributor

Connecting Wireless Laptop Directly to Cable Modem?

Hi, hope this is a simple question with an easy solution. :-)

We have two older computers on our Comcast home network -- a PC (Windows XP) and a wireless laptop (Windows Vista). The PC crashed this weekend and won't load Windows, though it still turns on. The PC must be turned on for the laptop to get Internet access. I think we have the standard Comcast setup where PC cable goes into Netgear wireless router, router yellow Ethernet cable goes into cable modem, and cable modem goes into the wall.

I need to disconnect the PC and take it offsite for hard drive recovery. Once the PC is turned off, the laptop loses Internet access.

My question: So I can continue to get Internet access through the laptop, should I take the cable from the PC and plug the laptop directly into the LAN port of the wireless router? Or would I need to take the wireless router out of the equation and plug the laptop directly into the cable modem? Does this require a call to Comcast tech support for any sort of reconfiguration/changes to settings? Thank you.

Networking Expert
kevj

Re: Connecting Wireless Laptop Directly to Cable Modem?

Something its awry with your setup if the laptop its dependent on the PC for internet access. But, yes. if you connect a network cable from the laptop ethernet port to one of the LAN ports on the router you should be good.

You say it its a wireless laptop though. Have you used the wireless connection before?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Regular Contributor

Hi kevj, thanks for the reply.

Nope, have never used laptop's wireless alone to get on the Internet (or taken laptop out of home for that matter) -- it has always connected to the Internet when the PC is turned on, via the wireless router. (I recall we had a combo modem/router at one point, then Comcast switched us to this setup). It may have something to do with the PC being WinXP and the laptop being Win Vista (as the original home network was set up when Vista was still new -- I recall the techs having a rough time networking the PC with the laptop, given the two different operating systems. The file sharing has also been limited between the two computers, as the laptop could see the files on the PC but not vice versa.

So hesitant to disconnect PC and lose all Internet access for the laptop, if it's going to be a hassle to get back online with the laptop. But at some point soon the PC needs to be unplugged and sent out for hard drive recovery. I feel a tech support call coming on -- just to walk me through. It seems like getting online w/the laptop alone should be simple -- but never say never in the world of computers eh? :-) Thanks!

Connection Expert
EG

Sounds like the Windows ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) feature has been enabled and configured here. It should be disabled and the router alone should be relied on for networking.

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the insight. If I call Comcast tech support, should I ask for someone with networking experience? Or can anyone help? Thanks.

Networking Expert
kevj

Comcast should never have set up ICS in the first place...I'm surprised they went that far.

Did you try connecting the laptop directly to the router?

Do you know yet what is going to happen to the desktop? If someone is going to reinstall Windows, then ICS will probably not be enabled when you get it back, so if you have trouble after it is fixed, come back here and we will try to help you get things set up right...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Regular Contributor

Hi, thanks, it's all making more sense now.

I have not tried connecting laptop directly to router as I have work due and am afraid to lose all connectivity when I disconnect the PC.

The PC is done -- will be disconnecting it next week and sending off for hard drive recovery, replacing it with a new Windows 7 system. So will need to be back in touch with Comcast as both the new PC and old laptop will need to be set up on a new home network. Hopefully it will be simpler this time despite the laptop being a Windows Vista computer.

Will post results here. THANK YOU for helping!