Visitor
Visitor

Connection problem in San Jose, CA - too slow downloads - too fast uploads

I ran a speed test on my connection and I got some strange results. I should be getting 6Mbit/s (usually 22Mb/s with PowerBoost) and 356Kb/s upload. I've run this particular test before (many times before, in fact) and got the same results.

Starting yesterday, however, I noticed some connection problems. Downloads were slow or times out. I rebooted my modem/router multiple times. pings to the router and the modem work fine. The modem WEB page comes up just fine (192.168.100.1).

Now, here's the weird thing. In the recent speed test that I ran, I got 1.6Mb/s download (way too low) and 1.4Mb/s upload (way too high).

Perhaps a misconfiguration in Comcast's routers and switches? Hmmm.

Visitor
Visitor

Re: Connection problem in San Jose, CA - too slow downloads - too fast uploads

So I ran the speed test again this morning. I got about 500Kb/s download (yes, that bad) and 1.1Mbit/s upload. Something is definately off. I've also noticed that the download speed is not consistent. At one point, I was getting only 15Kb/s download from the speed tests.
 I've got a Motorola SurfBoard 5120 and the .cm file in the modem logs looks correct ("silver" plan). Any thoughts?
Contributor

Re: Connection problem in San Jose, CA - too slow downloads - too fast uploads

I've actually got a tech coming today (8/18) to check things out here at my place in Sunnyvale.

Download speeds have been extremely varied - anywhere from 200 kbps - 22 mbps.  Evenings have been particularly bad, with good speeds only available in the very early morning.