Regular Contributor

DNS Issues, Again

[ Edited ]

Looks like Comcast is having problems with their DNS servers again.  I had to change mine to 4.2.2.2.  I'm in Minnesota.

Visitor

Re: DNS Issues, Again

[ Edited ]

I'm seeing the same.  Here are the servers which I'm getting from Comcast's DHCP:

DNS1: 68.87.72.134
DNS2: 68.87.77.134

EDIT: I'm in Chicago.  Just finished chatting with support, they are aware of the issue, but there's no ETA.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Same here in Decatur, IL  I am using Goggles public DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and all works fine.

We have the same 2 DNS as stated in the message above too.

Regular Contributor
chilibean6

[ Edited ]

I'm near Chicago and the DNS is down.  Luckily, I know the OpenDNS IPs and now back.

Here's the Comcast DNS status link http://dns.comcast.net/status.php

OpenDNS IPs

Preferred DNS server:  208.67.222.222
Alternate DNS server:  208.67.220.220

New Visitor
Horrorshow66

Same here in Michigan.  Same ones mrt300 listed.  Switched to Google servers. Back up and running.  Thanks people!!!

Contributor
azndjay

8.8.8.8 works for me ...

New Visitor
MasterChiefmas

I'm business class customer in Michigan, and it seems more like my DNS traffic is being blocked.  I use OpenDNS normally, and I cannot reach it, Google DNS, or DNS for Michigan State University, so it seems like more then just Comcast DNS is not available, at least to me.

New Visitor
anonymous1234

Here is some info from a support chat. I am hoping that the rep is incorrect that this is "This is a system maintenance to further improve our service"

Gillyn(Sun Dec 5 22:54:43 CST 2010)>Thank you for waiting. I am so sorry but upon checking, we currently have system maintenance on your area. Our network engineers are working to resolve the issue as we speak. What I can do now is to reset the modem and hopefully it will work, if not, you will need to wait a few hours for the maintenance to be finished. I assure you that this will be resolved as soon as possible. We have created the following customer service ticket: ###########. Please refer to this number should you contact us regarding this issue. We are prioritizing this issue since we understand how important your service is. I can assure you that there is nothing wrong with your account. We appreciate if you would bear with us on this. You will be compensated for the inconvenience this is causing you. Thank you so much for your patience and understanding.

Me_(Sun Dec 5 21:55:57 CST 2010)>System Maintenance or System outage?

Gillyn(Sun Dec 5 23:02:57 CST 2010)>This is a system maintenance to further improve our service. Our network engineers are working to resolve the issue in order to restore everything. Rest assured, I have made the necessary notations here in your account. Thank you so much for understanding and bearing with us in this situation.

New Visitor
bradleymt2001

It is obvious that a few of us network nerds realize what the problem is and have knowledge in our possession as to how to fix it.  I feel bad for everyone else in my city that doesn't know what to do and as stated elsewhere, the trouble number is down too.  What a sounds like "pitch" for these users.

New Visitor
unclefrank9921

OpenDNS is working fine. Reboot if needed. I also added the 8.8.8.8 as a tertiary reference, but I ping the OpenDNS server just fine

New Visitor
MasterChiefmas

yeah I can ping OpenDNS servers fine, but I can't send DNS requests to it.

New Visitor
unclefrank9921

Thousands of users to be compensated. I love it! Just be sure to call them with date/time of your outage. 50% off a current bill is the going concession to stay on their service. Still beats U-Verse

New Visitor
unclefrank9921

Try moving google to the top of your list. right now I show OpenDNS working just fine

New Visitor
MasterChiefmas

I've tried 3 different DNS servers with primaries and secondaries, and I can't reach any of them from Comcast land, but I know all of them are up as they work fine from where I'm posting.

I wonder if any other business class users can reach DNS at all.  The DNS server workaround seems to mostly work for home users it seems like.

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

I was on the new dnssec servers 75.75.75.75 and 75.75.76.76 they are also out.

Works fine with Open DNS.