Contributor
Accepted Solution

DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem with eMTA

Is there a list/document that shows all of the Comcast-supported DOCSIS 3.0 cable modems *with* eMTAs?  I have a DOCSIS 2.0 modem with an eMTA that I'm looking to replace.  I don't want a modem with a gateway, wifi, router, or anything like that built in...just looking for a list of DOCSIS 3.0 modems with voice support.

Thanks.

Connection Expert
EG

Re: DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem with eMTA

Here is a link to their Approved Modems list;

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Contributor

Right, but there is no "eMTA" filter.  Is there a list that shows voice-capable approved cable modems?

Connection Expert
EG

No. They don't differentiate those. Just look for the ones that say "Telephony Modem".

Contributor

I was afraid of that...not many choices.

I was considering the Arris TM822G.  Do you have any opinions or experience with that modem?

Connection Expert
EG

Latest tech D3 device that offers eight downstream and four upstream channel capability. Good choice IMO !

Contributor

I received my TM822G this afternoon.  I'm definitely looking forward to dropping that lease fee.  I do have a few questions...

First, a little background...in addition to my current cable modem, I have a very old cable modem listed on my account.  This was an unleased modem and it has been gone for about five years.  I have called twice now and asked for it to be removed.  I wait the magic 24 hours I'm told but the modem remains.

So...

1. What exactly do I need to do to get this device off of my account?
  2. Is this going to interfere with getting my new modem added to my account?
  3. Should I disconnect my existing cable modem, connect the new one, and then call to provide the new MAC or should I leave everything as-is and just call to provide the new MAC first?
  4. I've read that the 1-800-COMCAST number is not the best one to call.  What number should I call to get the modem provisioned?

Thanks.

-Steve

Connection Expert
EG

Was the 822G a retail purchase ? If so, did you confirm with them that customer owned eMTA's are allowed to be used on your local system ? Some market areas still don't allow that and require you to rent it from them. The new modem / eMTA should be online and in full sync mode with the system before they can provision it for service. Disconnect the old one. They really should clear out the database of any modems that are no longer used.

Contributor

Well, I ended up getting my own questions answered so I thought I would pass the information along in case anyone needs it in the future...

Q1:  What exactly do I need to do to get this device off of my account?

A:  It appears that when I had my new (purchased) cable modem added to my account, the very old cable modem disappeared.

Q2:  Is this going to interfere with getting my new modem added to my account?

A:  The old cable modem listed under my equipment did not interfere with adding the new modem.

Q3:  Should I disconnect my existing cable modem, connect the new one, and then call to provide the new MAC or should I leave everything as-is and just call to provide the new MAC first?

A:  Disconnect the old modem, connect the new one, let it sync up, and then call Comcast.

Q4: I've read that the 1-800-COMCAST number is not the best one to call.  What number should I call to get the modem provisioned?

A:  This is the Comcast activation telephone number - (855) 652-3446.

My connection with the TM822G is screaming now.  :smileyhappy:

Connection Expert
EG

Happy surfing !

New Visitor
Minhvu01

Hi,

I have Motorola DOCSIS 2.0 for 6 or 7 years and it is still working and have separate phone modem bought from Comcast $99.00.  Should I combine 2 boxes into 1 box with telephony DOCSIS 3.0.  Any suggest on model and where to buy it?  Any advantage of DOCSIS 3.0 over DOCSIS 2.0?  Faster?

Thanks

Minh,