Contributor
mrvco

DOCSIS 3.0 / Speed Tier Question

I recently upgraded to the 22 Mbps speed tier and bought my own Motorola Surfboard DOCSIS 3.0 modem (SB6120).  The modem provisions with DOCSIS 3.0 and I have no complaints about the speeds.

However, I'm not noticing any benefits to the 22 Mbps tier versus my previous 12 Mbps tier.  So I'm considering saving some $$$ and dropping down to the lower cost speed tier.

My question is this:  Will my modem still provision with DOCSIS 3.0 if I downgrade to the 12 Mbps tier?  Or will I revert to DOCSIS 2.0?

Connection Expert
EG

Re: DOCSIS 3.0 / Speed Tier Question

[ Edited ]

mrvco wrote:

My question is this:  Will my modem still provision with DOCSIS 3.0 if I downgrade to the 12 Mbps tier?  Or will I revert to DOCSIS 2.0?

Yes. You will still enjoy the other anti congestion/increased capacity and failover benefits of the multiple channel bonding. Did speed tests indicate the faster tier ? If not did you ever confirm with them that your account was actually provisioned for the Ultra tier and that the correct config file was indeed pushed to your modem. Sometimes this gets messed up.

New Visitor
TheJakeyl88

Hi, I continuously see this, people thinking something will be faster, or just running a speed test to see.  This will not help at all.  You see you are also at the mercy of the servers in which what you are accessing is located.  If it cannot upload to you at 22mbps, you will not get 22mbps.  When I run a speedtest, of course with powerboost, I get about 60mbps, but its a complete powerboost lie.  But when I download, I get the correct 2.8-3.2 mb/s data rate which equates to about 20-24 mbps.  Its absolutely right on. 

DO NOT USE UBEE OR WHATEVER THAT COMPANY IS.  I had their DOCSIS 3 modem and was getting my old speeds, once I bought the Motorola Surfboard 6120 or whatever it is, (99 @ radioshack) I got the correct speeds of 22/7. 

22/7 mbps should be Download: 2.8 Megabytes a second, or 2800 KB/s, Upload: 600-700 KB/s those are your max down/up speeds in terms of Megabytes/Kilobytes.

But you will not notice anything, or hardly anything with web surfing, ect.  Only with download speeds, and large file transfers.  Gaming latency, ect.  All those other things will not change since you are dealing with small files ect, and 12mbps or 22mbps, it will still transfer basically instantly, like web surfing, ect.

So unless you really know what to look for, and this can all be confusing even for seasoned customers like myself, (been 14 years since I was a media one customer, before AT&T and now Comcast)  Same lines and connections ect.  Same house, so I've been able to accurately keep track of this stuff.

What I'm angry about it the caps they put into place.  I always used over 250GB, even 10 years ago because I'm a graphic designer and photographer, its not business related, only hobby, and I still go over the 250.  I do it again and I lose internet for TWO years they are threatening me with.

I talked to EVERYONE on my street and combined, the 26 houses here use less than 250GB a month, COMBINED, so how can me going say 275-300 GB between midnight and 5AM, how is that affecting ANYONE?  If comcast already allotted 250 GB per household, and 26 houses are not even going over 10GB a month, than comcast basically has a 25 lane highway and only letting us use ONE lane.

I never made a late payment, been a perfect customer for 12 years, I go 25GB over ONE time and they threaten to take internet away for 2 years.  SEEMS LIKE A HUGE BIG JOKE to me.  METROCAST OFFERS 300 GB FOR THE FIRST STANDARD TIER!  COMCAST CAN'T HANDLE WHAT TINY METROCAST CAN?  GIVE ME A BREAK!  :smileysad:   SAD.

New Visitor
TheJakeyl88

^^^ Also wanted to add I'm paying about DOUBLE what normal customers are paying, yet we all get the same CAPS?  250 GB no matter what?  Someone explain to me how that makes any sense.  Anyone can figure out if you get more speed, you need to compensate and at least raise the tier caps 50 GB per tier.  I mean come on.  They know over 90% of their customers are not even coming CLOSE to even 100GB a month, so they have all this extra bandwidth, they are lying to us all about this bandwidth stuff.  I only come on at night 11pm-5am roughly, so even using as much bandwidth as I possibly could wouldn't effect anyone.  They should change the hours so when everyone else is sleeping and it won't affect anything, you should get more bandwidth.

There just seems like way to many other good ways to go about this, and doing it fairly and right instead of just being an absolutist and saying this rule can and will apply to all, and thats the bottom line.  We know its not true, there are exceptions to everything, and I think we need to get together for the sake of fairness and to send a message to comcast that even if we aren't using the bandwidth, we still won't let you unfairly take it from those who DO.  Metrocast offers 300 GB to everyone, and they are a tiny company compared to Comcast.  You're telling me its fair that a 1st tier metrocast customer paying 20 bucks a month gets MORE BANDWIDTH than me, a 12 year veteran, who has the second to top tier speed paying 65-70 a month just for internet and that I only get 250?