New Visitor
wwolverton

DOCSIS 3.0 Telephony modems

I'm looking at the Comcast site regarding the DOCSIS 3.0 modems.  I have the Triple Play package, so I need a Telephony modem.  The only ones I see on their approved list at http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/ appear to be Arris TM702G, TM722G and TM822G, or the Ubee DVM3203B.  None of these devices are available at BestBuy, and they don;t even show up on CNet's website, when I was looking for reviews.  Plus, I only see them listed on eBay for purchase.  Am I missing something here?  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Connection Expert
EG

Re: DOCSIS 3.0 Telephony modems

The first thing to do is to call in and make sure that your local market area / franchise allows customer owned eMTA's (telephony type modems) on your system. Some still do not. Also, if they do, don't buy a used one as it may be listed in their database as being stolen / unreturned. If it is, they will not provision it for service.

Here is a 722 from an online retailer;

http://www.brandsmartusa.com/ProductViewer.aspx?mid=149686

Remember to call in first and confirm that it is allowed on your local system.

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

The 822  has 8 way bonding, so if they allow that one, it will be the best since it has more bandwith to use to get your total speed (assuming you have or will ever want faster speed).  I rent a 722 which has 4 way bonding.  It works great also.

Connection Expert
EG

cjerian wrote:

The 822  has 8 way bonding, so if they allow that one, it will be the best since it has more bandwith to use to get your total speed (assuming you have or will ever want faster speed). 

Known and agreed. What you stated is true but some local systems still actually deliver only four downstream channels. I recommend 8x4 capable modems here everyday. The link was merely a reference to an alternate retailer..

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

Also, with regard to BestBuy, if you can find a Comcast Connection Center, or a Comcast rep in the store. It may be advisable to ask them what they have. The gear isn't always on the shelves, and to my knowledge it may not appear on their website....