Contributor
Pasata

DS light constantly blinking phone support no help

At 1PM today we had a technician come to our home to install a cable modem. He assured us that the blinking "DS" light on our Ubee modem would go away within an hour or two and our service will be active. After 2 hours and no change in the blinking light we called service and support.  We were "guranteed" the technician would call us back  within 15 minutes and return to our home by 5:30 to resolve the issue.

By 4:30PM we called service and support again with their only course of help being futile attempts to restart a modem and activate our service. By 6PM and our fourth call the service support operator realizes our initial prolem but can't get a technician out to us now.

Not only is the modem still not active, we've lost cable tv service in the bedroom as well. Now their technicians wont be available until Wednesday afternoon.

Has anyone here been able to resolve this connection issue on their own?  The technician split the cable that was going to the bedroom to the modem but told us the frequency was fine . If not  we'll be canceling this internet service and sticking with Clear wimax.

Visitor
Gabrielibo

Re: DS light constantly blinking phone support no help

The blinking light would mean normally be caused by one of two things either theirs no signal getting to the modem or the modem can't lock onto the signal because it could be too low or a bad modem. If the tv that stopped working is the one that he split he may have prepped the cable wrong and got some of the braid wrapped around the center conductor which will cancel out the signal from that point forward so chech the connections that he'd did to make sure that's not it
Connection Expert
EG

He gave you incorrect info as well.. Can't believe that he left things that way. Sounds like another one of their brain surgeons...

Contributor
Pasata

Figured out the issue, there are two lines going into the house, one from the previous owner and a new line the tech installed yesterday.

From outside the new line was followed by a splitter with out1 line going to the living room line and out2 going upstairs.

The line upstairs was split a second time to allow installation of the cable modem. 

From outside I disconnected out2 (upstairs line)  from the new splitter and coupled it to the old line. The tv up stairs is once again recieving a signal. However theres an orange light under "DS" now which I assume means the signals too weak. 

I'm going to attempt moving the upstairs connection to the new line while having the old connection dedicated to downstairs. 

Would this work? Or should I only have one line going into my home?

Contributor
Pasata

After some troubleshooting it looks like the line going to the tv upstairs dies when I try to connect the cable modem. 

Will a technician be able to resolve this or am I just screwed?  This is using the new line he installed for us yesterday. 

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

That "It will start working sometime in the future" thing the tech told you is a complete lie. It should have been working 100% before he left. They don't start magically working after a few minutes. Call Comcast and get another tech out and ask for a credit as well, since they didn't install it correctly the first time.

Contributor
Pasata

The new tech came out and traced the problem down to a bad splitter and was able to finally restore cable and internet services.  The issue now is that the line upstairs only  works for about 30 minutes then dies(tv gets no signal and the modem goes back to flashing DS light), after about 10-15 minutes everything comes back online. 

Any suggestions?

New Visitor
Dave9197

[ Edited ]

I believe the problem might be the cables themselves. Try replacing the cables (all or one at a time). I currently have the same problem, well my ds and us are blinking but everything works fine. Honestly thats why im looking at this topic. Not to helpful for me... Also using a ubee modem. Not the best modem, they have better modems.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Re: ds light constantly blinking phone support no help

Call Comcast again and have them send another tech out. It's most likely a wiring issue. Comcast owes you a credit for each time they didn't fix the problem, be sure to ask for it. The problem should have been fixed at the time of install, the installer (probably a contractor) simply didn't care enough to install it properly.

Connection Expert
EG

Re: ds light constantly blinking phone support no help

Dave9197.

Wonder if the OP got a solution after two months now ?