Contributor

DSL better than Cable?

Well, with the problems I have been getting with Comcast, I was wondering what everyone's opinion was with DSL. Does it have the same problems as cable (disconnects/slow speeds) or is it a constant speed? I know it's a little more expensive (5mb line for $65) but is it worth it? I'm getting it set up this Friday and was wondering what I should expect from it. Any comments from people who have had DSL connections would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Security Expert
CajunTek

Re: DSL better than Cable?

I will put it simply, all dogs have fleas.. Your DSL conncection may be better.. and it may not, Your service may be better.. and then again...

See.. You are not saying which DSL provider you chose but if you like to see what others experiences have been take a look at http://www.dslreports.com

Note dslreports uses googlesense ads that are viewable by non registered visitors. Some (most) of these ads are for dubious products.. In your own best interests.. ignore them
TANSTAAFL!!

New Visitor
New Visitor

Like the other person said, it can go either way. Take myself for example. I had a nightmare of a time with Verizon DSL, on the phone with them for two hours every night until finally cancelling after a month of torture. OTOH, I had excellent service with Speakeasy/Covad DSL. Rock solid day in and day out. Same house, same C.O.

Up until this last couple of months, I've had the same cable connection for about four years and it has been close to perfect. After they raised the speeds, my recenct disconnects turned out to be an outdated modem. I even had to cancel my Vonage service because of it. Now, with a new modem, things appear to be back to normal. But I don't think I will ever depend on VOIP (or anything critical) as my main number for ANY Internet service at this point.
Connection Expert
EG

>>5mb line for $65)

Did you get a guarantee in writing for this speed? Achieving these speeds on DSL is highly dependant on how close that you are to the central office.
Security Expert
CajunTek

Another very valid point...
TANSTAAFL!!

Regular Problem Solver

If you check out the "fine print" at the bottom of the TV ad for Verizon DSL....you'll see they say:...."768kbps speed available on qualified lines...." So what constituites a "qualified line"? One that's jusy so many feet from a C.O.; thus, only a few customers are gonna get the fastest speed possible.....I have YET to see or hear of ANY ISP that "guarantees" speed or connection....If they're out there, they're keeping awfully quiet.....:smileywink:
New Visitor
New Visitor

Dale242080, there are business class services that are guaranteed, but they are expensive. http://dsl.covad.com/products/dsl/telespeed/details.shtml#sla

"Service Level Agreements - details »
• Service installed within 30 calendar days of placing your order
• Service availability of 99.9% or better
• Service restoration within 24 hours
• 99.9% successful delivery of all data packets
• 110 millisecond average for the round trip of a message "
Most Valued Poster

> I was wondering what everyone's opinion was with DSL.

I've only dealt with DSL, trying to restage a friend's computer. In my opinion, it was like taking all the bad parts of broadband and adding all the bad parts of dial-up.
Connection Expert
EG

>>• 1.5Mbps - 26x faster than 56K dial-up

Yes it is nice to have guaranteed reliability, but that top speed guarantee leaves something to be desired.
New Visitor
New Visitor

>that top speed guarantee

I know, it is very expensive to get guaranteed service, and you probably can't get guaranteed service anywhere for 6mbps. 5 years ago, I was paying $70/mo for 384/384 SDSL. It was guaranteed, from Speakeasy, but it was on 24/7 and there was never a loss of service or speed.
Contributor

I've installed DSL for about a dozen friends, and in only two instances could they get up and running without a truckroll. Phone line quality inside and outside the house were usually the reason--some of the wiring is ancient. I suspect this is a factor in, for example, Verizon's FIOS offering--if they are going to have to roll a truck and spend hours on a high percentage of DSL installations, they might as well bite the bullet and install a compelling service with lots of future growth potential. Fiber to the curb is the future, and it was smart of Verizon to make the leap now or they were never going to remain competitive with cable.

I live in the metro DC area, and still can't get DSL because I'm more than 20,000 feet from the CO.
New Visitor

As of Sep 27th, I was unable to effectively use my Comcast connection (very slow speeds which resulted in any https activity being timed out - like on-line banking or purchases). I ordered a DSL line from Qwest for about 60% of what I'm paying for my cable connection. It was up and running with NO glitches whatsoever on the day they promised. It has been very reliable so far. I'm sure either one can have it's problems, and DSL won't beat the speed of cable when both are working properly, but for me, right now, I just needed a working connection and Qwest gave me that!!