New Visitor

Desktop loses internet connection, but wireless laptop connection remains OK.

My desktop computer is experiencing frequent drops in it's internet connection. I have a Polywell with Vista x64, a Linksys Wireless Broadband router, a Motorola SB5120 Cable Modem and a laptop running vista x86. The desktop is connected to the router via ethernet, and with a combined Nvidia network adapters.
I experience frequent dropped internet connections and I have to restart the desktop to recconect the desktop to the internet, but the wireless connection is fine.
Any idea why this is happening?
Is there a Windows problem?
Could Comcast be booting me for some reason?
Thank you.
Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Desktop loses internet connection, but wireless laptop connection remains OK.

Could be a couple things. 

1. Plug and unplug the cable a few times on each end to make sure it's seated right. 
2. Move the computer to a different port on the router.
3. Exchange the ethernet cable with a new one.
4.  If it still doesn't work, I'd suspect the router is flaky or the network card in the computer.  To isolate which, disconnect the router from the cable modem and power cycle it, or reset it if it's a telephony model.  Then connect the computer directly to the cable modem and see if hte problem persists.  If it does, the problem is with the computer, most likely the ethernet card.  If it doesn't, then the problem is with the wired segment of the router and you should replace it.