Contributor

Directly connecting to my Arris TM502G modem WON'T WORK.

Well, my mom ordered the Comcast Triple Play with the Home Networking option, 8 meg service, a few days ago and we just had it installed today (I'm using my mom's Comcast account to post this). It turns out that there was a problem with the wiring in the house, I guess, and they spent about 5-6 hours doing everything, hooking up the cable boxes, wiring things outside the house, and hooking up the modem/router. However, the technician hooked up the Arris TM502G modem in the room next to mine which doesn't have my desktop PC in there -- I don't know why he did this -- and hooked up the CG814WG Netgear router in my room.

So the router is connected to a cable outlet in my room while the cable modem is connected to a cable outlet in the other room (also, a phone line is connected to it, and I guess this might be important). Well, obviously, the internet connection is working just fine, except I am unable to connect to any low-pinging servers on Team Fortress 2 (a game played using Valve's Steam application). In fact, on a game called GunZ which uses a peer-to-peer connection to play in multiplayer games, I get a ping of 999 to everyone else in the game room which, commonly suggested by the small community of players, means I have to forward certain ports. The thing is, the 999 ping problem has always been related to routers -- otherwise, it works fine.

I tried to forward the ports using a guide on www.portforward.com, but it didn't work for either Team Fortress 2 or GunZ. And I don't think it'll work for any other game, for that matter. Using the Steam app's server list I see that I get a very limited amount of servers with half-decent pings (around 70), but when I download something it's around 300-700 kb/s -- sometimes lower -- which seems weird, but even then I would think that I would be getting better pings than this.

Then, I figured that I would connect the modem directly from it's ethernet port to my PC's ethernet port. It doesn't work. The modem's lights are all on without blinking except for the "link" light, which is blinking in a pattern: on, off, on, off, etc.

Either I find a way to fix this or I will not be able to play online games anymore. Any help would be appreciated.
Connection Expert
EG

Re: Directly connecting to my Arris TM502G modem WON'T WORK.

You need to hit the reset button on the back of the Arris modem each and everytime time that you change the device that is directly connected to it.
Connection Expert
Joe

you said
Then, I figured that I would connect the modem directly from it's ethernet port to my PC's ethernet port. It doesn't work. The modem's lights are all on without blinking except for the "link" light, which is blinking in a pattern: on, off, on, off, etc.

that modem a Arris TM502G will need to be reset.
because of the backup power in the modem you will need to push the reset button

on the way the router connect can you explain more.
it all connects by Ethernet cable
is you house wired for Ethernet

the Arris modem is that the only modem there is?

Contributor

[ Edited ]
Connecting the ethernet cord directly from my PC then to the modem and pressing the reset button didn't work.

As for the router, it's connected to what I think is a coaxial cable that is hooked into the cable outlet. It's a long black cable. Then an ethernet cord is connected from the router to my computer's ethernet port-thing. When I do it with the modem it just doesn't work for some reason.

Wired for ethernet? I don't know what you mean by that. Previously we used Qwest and I used an ethernet cord that plugged into the modem and then directly to my computer and it worked fine.

Message Edited by GoingDown on 10-23-2007 07:38 PM
Connection Expert
Joe

[ Edited ]
wired for Ethernet means your computer can connect to other devices in your home.

that router that connect to the cable line
can you post it brand and numbers

Message Edited by Jo on 10-23-2007 10:56 PM
Contributor

Pretty sure the model number is on the bottom? Anyway, it says:

NETGEAR

Wireless Cable Modem Gateway CG814WG v2

There's other stuff on here that says SERIAL and MAC but otherwise I'm not sure what else to type here. What do you mean by numbers?
Connection Expert
Joe

post signals from modem click this link
see if that link ask for a password
if not can you post the signals
Connection Expert
EG

GoingDown wrote:

Connecting the ethernet cord directly from my PC then to the modem and pressing the reset button didn't work.

You also have to re-boot your computer, sorry.

It's all yours Jo........ :smileymischief:
Contributor

It doesn't give me an option to check the signals. All I get is this page:

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/138/pageng7.jpg
Connection Expert
Joe

first time i seen that type of router
look thru the tabs link to see if it has a stats page

Contributor

Unfortunately it doesn't have a stats page. There are some parts that have my IP address and my MAC address, but no signals or anything like that.
Contributor

Ok, well, I just read that this Netgear router/modem? It's apparently unconfigurable. Past posts on various message boards have stated that nothing helps it, and I'm better off calling Comcast (it has the Comcast logo on it, even) to replace it or something. Someone was having trouble with the Roadrunner version of it:

"I am not famililar with the Road Runner version of that cable modem router but on the Comcast version, the options that you need to disable are not even configurable.

On another note, you're probablly paying an additional $5-$10 per month for the privledge of having that cable modem router, right? At best, you've got there a $20 router that has pretty much no features, making it not very useful. Honestly, you're better of getting Road Runner to swap out that piece of junk for a normal cable modem and getting your own wireless router. You'll be much happer and after a couple of months its paid for itself."
Connection Expert
Joe

[ Edited ]
i had a feeling it may not have a stats page.
try the Arris,when computer connect
push reset button on the Arris  then  power cycle your computer
post signals from modem try signal from Arris

just notice your surfing is good but not to game server
post a tracert to that server,if it lets you

Message Edited by Jo on 10-23-2007 11:39 PM
Regular Problem Solver

I'm speculating here, but it sounds like what you have is an Arris modem configured for digital telephone service only and a Netgear CG814WG gateway (which is also a modem, BTW) for your Internet service. That setup requires an extra split of the cable signal, which degrades the signal quality. Also, you said you are subscribing to Comcast's Home Networking service, and that means that your Netgear gateway gets Comcast's crippled firmware.

Here's what I suggest. Cancel the Home Networking service from Comcast and return their Netgear gateway. Comcast can then enable the Internet service on the Arris modem and you can eliminate a splitter (or replace an N way splitter with an N-1 way splitter) to improve the signal quality. You can then buy your own wireless router (the savings from cancelling the Home Networking service will pay for the router in 1 year), which will have the manufacturer's normal firmware and support.
Connection Expert
Joe

[ Edited ]
you right MelvinTheGrate

that will work

Message Edited by Jo on 10-23-2007 11:46 PM
Connection Expert
EG

ug
Contributor

Yeah I pretty much realized that it was probably only for the telephone service. I thought that was weird, but the Comcast technician didn't tell me this, so I assumed that there were somehow two modems, and I suppose I was just blinded with frustration and didn't realize this earlier. I'll somehow convince my mom to do that since it seems logical and also a much better decision.

And that signal quality loss? Does that relate to my strange speed fluctuations?

Anyway, thank you for your guys' help.

Connection Expert
Joe

EG wrote:
ug

it a good idea anyway
the op has only a game server issue i believe.
but to rule out signals ,may just have to call comcast
the voip phone modem may not help
Contributor

Ok, thank you for that advice. Should we buy a modem and router ourselves and simply cancel the Home Networking and return the router to them then?
Connection Expert
Joe

GoingDown wrote:
Yeah I pretty much realized that it was probably only for the telephone service. I thought that was weird, but the Comcast technician didn't tell me this, so I assumed that there were somehow two modems, and I suppose I was just blinded with frustration and didn't realize this earlier. I'll somehow convince my mom to do that since it seems logical and also a much better decision.

And that signal quality loss? Does that relate to my strange speed fluctuations?

Anyway, thank you for your guys' help.

it may
but you just have to call comcast for this.
sorry we can not help more
Connection Expert
Joe

[ Edited ]

GoingDown wrote:
Ok, thank you for that advice. Should we buy a modem and router ourselves and simply cancel the Home Networking and return the router to them then?

anyway way you like.

you can rent a modem for 3 dollar a month and buy a router
or
buy both modem and router
or
if that is a older modem /router can try a more up to date version
if you do not mind not getting stats from it

Message Edited by Jo on 10-24-2007 12:01 AM
Regular Problem Solver

GoingDown wrote:

Since you have Comcast's Digital Voice service, it might be best to stick with the rented Arris modem. I don't recall seeing reports from someone using a purchased modem with that service. (Anybody ???) Anyway, you can always change your mind on that later. Definitely get rid of the crippled (and not well supported) Home Networking service, return the Netgear gateway, and buy your own wireless router.
Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

Jo wrote:

EG wrote:
ug

it a good idea anyway

F.W.I.W., "ug" means "yes", or "me tooooo" in American Indian..... :smileysilly: :smileygrin:

Message Edited by EG on 10-24-2007 12:48 AM
Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

MelvinTheGrate wrote:

I don't recall seeing reports from someone using a purchased modem with that service. (Anybody ???)

As of now I believe that a Telephony modem such as the Arris can not yet be purchased retail and self installed mainly due to the importance of the 911 emergency calling feature. It must be installed by a qualified Comcast CDV tech. Maybe Michael can confirm this or correct me.

I have seen some rumor posts at the BBR forums that these modems may become available for retail sale in future...

Message Edited by EG on 10-24-2007 01:06 AM
Connection Expert
Joe

EG wrote:

Jo wrote:

EG wrote:
ug

it a good idea anyway

F.W.I.W., "ug" means "yes", or "me tooooo" in American Indian..... :smileysilly: :smileygrin:

Message Edited by EG on 10-24-2007 12:48 AM

ok then
there still a lot of those abbreviation i still do not know
Connection Expert
JamesR

I wouldnt cancel the Home Networking contract.  It affords you free service and replacement of failed equipment.

you have an ARRIS modem for Phone Svc in Parallel with the Wireless Cable Gateway

If you have a CHN contract then call comcast and advise them that you are Triple play guy with CHN support and they will walk you throu some stuff and then get you over to a CHN tech who will work with you and schedule a Truck Roll to get a guy out to your house.  Make sure they set up the encryption to keep your neighbors off your Network and verify speed from the various locations that you use in you home to reach the Gateway