Contributor
Jimga

Does the Arris TG852G/CT broadcast in 5 GHz?

Hello--

I am trying to set up a Netgear "Dual Band" Wifi Range Extender with "Fastlane technology." This  supposedly allows setting up connection to the router using either of two bands (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) and then sending the signal out from the extender using the other band.

I have had no trouble connecting the extender to the TG852G/CT I rent from Comcast using the 2.4 GHz band. When I try to connect using the 5 GHz band, however, I find myself in "Netgear Genie" circular heck (this forum refused to post the "bad word" I originally wrote-how silly) with inscrutable options and seemingly no way to connect.

The Netgear documentation seems to suggest that not all routers support 5 GHz. I have been trying without success to find out whether or not the TG852G/CT does. The Arris tech sheet (TG852G_TS_24SEP10.pdf) does not include the term "GHz," though it does include this information:

RF Downstream

Frequency Range (MHz) 108-1002 DOCSIS
      Carrier Bandwidth (MHz) 6 (DOCSIS)

RF Upstream

Frequency Range (MHz) 5 to 42 (DOCSIS)

Would that answer my question, if I knew how to interpret it?

I would appreciate any pointers to where I might find an answer.

--Jim

Connection Expert
EG

Re: Does the Arris TG852G/CT broadcast in 5 GHz?

[ Edited ]

Jimga wrote:

RF Downstream

Frequency Range (MHz) 108-1002 DOCSIS
      Carrier Bandwidth (MHz) 6 (DOCSIS)

RF Upstream

Frequency Range (MHz) 5 to 42 (DOCSIS)

Would that answer my question, if I knew how to interpret it?

FWIW, those are the RF frequency ranges that the cable modem segment of that device operates on with the Comcast system and has nothing to do with the frequencies that the wireless router segment operates on. Also, I don't believe that that Arris gateway device has dual band wireless capabilities. Perhaps one of the resident networking experts will drop by to assist you further. Good luck !

Regular Problem Solver
PeteC2

No, the Arris TG852 does not have dual-band wireless capability, nor for that matter does the TG862, they are wireless N, 2.4ghz only devices.

Another reason to pass by the wireless gateways and use a quality stand alone router.  I recommend buying a quality dual band router, and have Comcast put the TG852 in bridged mode for best network performance and range.

I know that a wireless gateway seems like an ideal, all-in-one solution, but historically, these devices have been nothing but problems, and even when working okay, are still far inferior in theior routing functionality versus a dedicated, quality router.  They almost always suffer on range, due to antenna arrays and placement that is usually a compromise in design of a combined device.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

Hmmm.. Sounds vaguely familiar..

Contributor
Jimga

Thanks for the information and advice.  I gather you recommend continuing to rent the TG852, for use as a modem only. Any recommendation for a router than would pair well with the TG852 would be appreciated.

--Jim

Regular Problem Solver
PeteC2

Jimga wrote:

Thanks for the information and advice.  I gather you recommend continuing to rent the TG852, for use as a modem only. Any recommendation for a router than would pair well with the TG852 would be appreciated.

--Jim

Well, as the TG852 is an eMTA modem, it is difficult to buy your own eMTA to use with Comcast. Only selected Best Buys with a Comcast center sell an eMTA that Comcast wants to provision...so, yep, might as well stick with the one you have and just have Comcast put it into bridge mode.

I am particularly recommending the current Linksys line of routers, specifically the EA 2700, EA 3200, or EA 4500, based on desired features (I would avoid anything below an EA 2700).  Their set-up is crazy-easy and they are solid/well designed routers that handle dual band well.

Having said that, any of the mainstream brands for routers have good offerings, but stay away from the "cheapie" models in any given brand.  Netgear/Belkin/ASUS/Buffalo/Trendnet etc. all produce good routers.

At any rate, I recommend a dual band router that has gigabit ports and IPv6 compliance.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

PeteC2 wrote:

Well, as the TG852 is an eMTA modem, it is difficult to buy your own eMTA to use with Comcast. Only selected Best Buys with a Comcast center sell an eMTA that Comcast wants to provision....

FWIW, to my knowledge, the "difficulty" would only be having them provision the telephony modem segment of a retail purchased eMTA device ( if the OP indeed has their telephone service). If not, there may not be a problem with getting an eMTA device bought at retail internet modem's segment provisioned for internet only service.

Regular Problem Solver
PeteC2

EG wrote:

PeteC2 wrote:

Well, as the TG852 is an eMTA modem, it is difficult to buy your own eMTA to use with Comcast. Only selected Best Buys with a Comcast center sell an eMTA that Comcast wants to provision....

FWIW, to my knowledge, the "difficulty" would only be having them provision the telephony modem segment of a retail purchased eMTA device ( if the OP indeed has their telephone service). If not, there may not be a problem with getting an eMTA device bought at retail internet modem's segment for internet only service.

True enugh.  I (perhaps wrongly) assumed that the op was using the eMTA for internet/voice.   Although he mentioned uusing the TG852 as a "modem only", I took that to mean not as a router.

If he is not using the TG852 for telephony functions, then I would definitely recommend giving Comcast their eMTA back, purchase his own modem (such as a Zoom 5341J or Motorola SB6121) and a quality router.

Contributor
Jimga

" I (perhaps wrongly) assumed that the op was using the eMTA for internet/voice."

I assume I am the "op" here (op-erator? op-inion seeker?)

Anyway I am in fact using Comcast for telephony service.

"Only selected Best Buys with a Comcast center sell an eMTA that Comcast wants to provision"

On other threads here (Trying-to-buy-Arris-TM722G-without-success) and from Amazon I learned that

• although better Arris telephony modems exit (TM822) Comcast currently only approves the Arris TM722
  • I might be able to get a TM722 at one of my local Best Buys, but it will cost perhaps $149. It would take two years for this investment to reach the $7 monthly rentals
  • There is a used 722 on Amazon for $53 but I risk Comcast charging installation fees or refusing to connect it if I buy other than through Best Buy

Thoughts on whether this is accurate analysis?

thanks again,

--Jim

Networking Expert
Baric

In this context, OP = Original Poster, ie. the user who started the thread and asked the original question. 

It varies from area to area, but in general, unless you buy the EMTA from Comcast itself (even if it was via their kiosk in Best Buy), they will refuse to provision it, even if it is a supported model like the TM722G.  SO buying a used TM722 on Amazon or eBay is likely not to work, and at worst it's stolen equipment.  Other than that, yes, it's accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Contributor
Jimga

Thanks again for all this advice! I ordered an EA4500 but will continue to rent the TM852G from Comcast for now.

One more question. I confess I am not on top of all the different kinds of speed, throughput, etc. involved in this technology. The EA4500 is "capable of speed up to 450+450Mbps."

In an earlier attempt to deal with wireless range problems, I talked to Comcast customer service and agreed to pay $10 extra a month to increase something from 15Mbps to 20Mbps. I was told I could increase it again by increments of 5Mbps up to 50Mbps, paying $10 more for each increase.

This is of course a long way from 450Mbps. Are these numbers related, or something else? If Comcast is allowing 20Mbps only to get to my modem, and the router can put out the same thing at 450Mbs, it will never get anywhere near its maximum. Have I attached a straw to a firehouse?

--Jim

Regular Problem Solver
PeteC2

Jimga, not at all.  First off, the only way to get anywhere close to 450Mbps, would be with a compatible wireless adapter which are still very rare at this time...300Mbps would be the theoretical max...and then even that is only in the dreams of router marketing folks :smileysilly:

In reality, wireless G rated at up to 54Mbps would net you around 22 to 25Mbps throughput in real life usage.  While wireless N has enough overhead (for now) at either 150Mbps or 300Mbps based on configuration, keep in mind max rated speeds are significantly over real life results.

The EA 4500 may be "more router" than you need right now, but if you plan on taking advantage of running an external hard drive off the USB port as networked storage, the 4500 has the most robust processor out there, making it much faster at data transfer within your network than most other routers

If you are going to be doing data sharing between devices in your network, video streaming, networked storage etc., then the EA 4500 is a good choice. (again, not taking away from the other top of the line consumer routers from other makers)

Connection Expert
EG

Jimga wrote:
I was told I could increase it again by increments of 5Mbps up to 50Mbps, paying $10 more for each increase.

FWIW, I have never heard of them having any "increments" such as these...

Regular Problem Solver
PeteC2

Jimga wrote:

" I (perhaps wrongly) assumed that the op was using the eMTA for internet/voice."

I assume I am the "op" here (op-erator? op-inion seeker?)....

• I might be able to get a TM722 at one of my local Best Buys, but it will cost perhaps $149. It would take two years for this investment to reach the $7 monthly rentals
  • There is a used 722 on Amazon for $53 but I risk Comcast charging installation fees or refusing to connect it if I buy other than through Best Buy

Thoughts on whether this is accurate analysis?

thanks again,

--Jim

Sorry Jim!  Op = original poster (or person who initiated the thread)

I agree with your analysis:  To date, it seems that buying your own eMTA is not a great proposition, unlike those who need an internet only modem. I very recently went through the same decision process:

Many have found it to be a pain even getting a Best Buy that has these eMTA's. (yes, never buy used/ebay, as they most likely will not provision it)  Arris's Best Buy list is not up to date at all, by the way. A number of Best Buys no longer have any Comcast connection.

Also consider that the only authorized retail eMTA sold, the Arris TM 722G, while a decent model, is already some 3 years old, and not their most current...at $149 (plus tax, plus $10 to provision) to buy a model that is not even that new...figuring it will take 2 years to cover the cost versus renting...and that in the meantime if the eMTA does "go south" there is no Comcast to swap you a new one...well...made keeping the rental a no-brainer to me. At the end of 2 years, I would have an eMTA that is a 5 year old model...by which time I may want/need to move on anyway.

If I could have purchased the most current model, I would have been much more likely to consider this route.

Contributor
Jimga

According to Comcast technical support,  they offer five "internet download speeds" for different prices. The standard is 12 Mbps. There is an "economy" speed of 1.5 Mbps, and higher speeds of 25, 50 and 105. They further explained that each computer connected to the internet can use up to whatever limit you are paying for simultaneously. So for example at the 25Mbps speed I am now paying $10 extra to get, I could have six computers all maxed out at 25, assuming (if they all connected wirelessly) the router is capable of 6x25 = 150Mbps.

I tested speeds at various locations here using both the Comcast test site sppedtest.comcast.net and speedtest.net. Curiously, in the same room as the router speed download speed tested at 36 Mbps. In a separate building where my office is it was 10-13 Mbps. It was also 36 Mbps at the other end of the house where I put the Netgear extender. Down at the cabin where the extender is needed (main router only 1-3 Mbps) the 2.4Ghz extension channel ranged from 9-11Mbps and the 5Ghz channel reached 13-18Mbps.

I suspect from looking at these numbers that the extra $10 may be worth it. If my limit was still 12 Mbps I suspect I would not be able to get 13 at one place near the end of the range and 18 through the extender. Unfortunately I did not do these tests before I started paying the extra charge.

It seems strange however that i get 36Mbps speed when I am supposedly only paying for up to 25. I wonder, if I paid another $10/month for a "limit" of 50, would all the numbers be higher?

I am hoping that in any case the better router will improve things all around.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Contributor
Jimga

Hello again--

I thought I'd check in to report that after intalling the Cisco router (EA4500) we are getting much better download speeds, in some spots double to triple (it varies) what we were getting with the TG852G. Thanks again for the recommendations & advice I received here.

That't the good news. Unfortunately, getting it installed properly, with the TG8532G in "bridge mode," took forever. For a while the two routers were broadcasting next to each other, which caused various strange behavior. The Comcast modem/router was supposedly turned off, but somehow one computer at a time was still able to connect, but not the others. That was just one problem... all solved now, I hope.

Thanks again.

Regular Problem Solver
PeteC2

Glad to hear this, although sorry it took so long to get straightened out (you would think that bridging these Comcast gateways would be a bit more straight-forward).

There will always be something faster coming out shortly in consumer electronics, but the EA4500 is a pretty safe bet to have long use.

New Visitor
J_ZIGG

Just fyi, comcast doesn't charge for activation of a different modem or emta.  I've changed mine at least 5 times.

Connection Expert
EG

Two year old thread now closed.