Contributor
slayer2122

Download speed great, upload speed? not so great... at all

[ Edited ]

I just switched to blast yesterday, and I got my desired download speeds (36mbps) but when I tested my upload speed, I barely reached 1mbps, the highest I've gotten was 1.5mbps. before i was getting at least 4mbps with performance internet. What's going on? could I improve these speeds?:manfrustrated:

I also have a sb6121

Contributor
Zerth

Re: Download speed great, upload speed? not so great... at all

I've been having a issue with slow connection speeds for 2 weeks my upload has always been fine, the connection finally became stable last night, and tonight my upload dropped from normally 5mbps to 2mbps while I'm still getting about 33mbps....Comcast please fix this already....its getting kinda old.

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

Powercycle all of your equipment and see if it continues...

Contributor
slayer2122

I reset everything, still getting the same result unfortunately. 

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

Have you tried bypassing the router, to see if it still exists?  Keep in mind if you do that, modem needs to be powercycled again, to look for the new mac address connected from it...

Can you list for me all of your equipment?

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Can you plug directly into the modem (no router) via ethernet and run ShaperProbe pls?

Contributor
slayer2122

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 6431 Kbps.
Downstream: 36712 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: Burst size: 9701-9778 KB;
Shaping rate: 4293 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 19553-20059 KB;
Shaping rate: 26618 Kbps.

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

those are advertised blast speeds...  and the result with the router?

what brand and model of router, also how many wireless devices would need reconfiguring if a factory reset it needed?

Contributor
slayer2122

With the router I can achieve pretty much the same speeds. My router model is a linksys E1200.

And I would need to reconfigure about 3 devices.

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

decent router...  well if you're getting the same test result with the router hooked up, i don't see how a factory reset would help any...  it's up to you if you want to do that.

cisco is no problem, so I don't mind helping with the reset...  it's up to you though, the results seem to be fine...  just be sure you want to do that before you do...  anything hard-connected from the router?  it will have to be set back up with a hard connected computer...  before resetting it, sign into the ciscos interface with 192.168.1.1  user and pass are admin   the interface will have main headings, and as you click the main headings, the sub headings will change...  so click wireless at the top, then the wireless settings subheading...  are you using wifi protected setup or manual?  you'll want to notate your all your settings, set it back up with those same settings, and you won't have to reconfigure any of the wireless devices...  also click on status in the interface and see what firmware version it's running...  latest firmware can be downloaded here, make sure you use the correct hardware version, it's printed on the bottom sticker...

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/support/routers/E1200

like i said before though, if you're getting what you are supposed to, i don't see how a factory reset would help any, although i tend to do mine every few monthes, and also make sure its running the latest firmware...

Contributor
slayer2122

I'm just wondering why My old service (performance) was faster in terms of upload speed. I'm barely hitting 1mbps on blast whereas I hit an easy 4.5 mbps upload speed with performance :c

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

you had

Upstream: Burst size: 9701-9778 KB;
Shaping rate: 4293 Kbps.

what do you get at speedtest.net or

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

if it's still not performing properly, and feel that it's comcast and not the router, call in and have your modem reprovisioned...  if it were failed provisioning, you probably wouldn't be able to surf or be stuck on an activation page...  ask them what your bootfile is...  it's been a few monthes since i was an agent, and it also depends on market for the bootfile's name, but blast will either say blast, or ultra...  my memory is a little shady, there are so many bootfiles...  will be something like d11_u_sb6121_blast_cm

also, when a sb6121 is undergoing a f/w update, the send and recieve lights will blink in unison, then it'll reboot again...  have the router unplugged while all of that is going on...

Contributor
slayer2122

speak easy speed test

Last Result:
Download Speed: 36808 kbps (4601 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 364 kbps (45.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

speedtest.net

36.46mbps download speed

1.50mbps upload

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

i agree it's not running properly... if i were to have you on the phone, calling in about this, i wouldve redid everything...  only takes 10 minutes tops...  getting someone on the phone will probably take longer...  and someone who will t/s a cisco probably won't happen...  they will either have you remove that completely or send you to sig support or even cisco...

id have you powerdown the router, would be looking at the signals, are they green, yellow, or red, i would reprovision it, make sure it stays green, yellow is ok, not desirable though, have you power up the router and try again...  then i would entertain removing the router and trying again...

were you getting 1.5 upload with the more conventional speedtests with the router removed?  the shaperprobe looked fine...

Contributor
slayer2122

Both of those speeds are without the router, it's disconnected

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

I'd like for you to disable your local area connection and hard powercycle....  

Control Panel:

XP:  Network Connections, right click the local, disable

Vista:  Network and Sharing Center => Manage Network Connections => right click the local, disable

7:  Network and Sharing Center => Change Adapter Settings => right click the local, disable

Hard powercycle by removing power cord, AND unscrewing the coax, wait 10seconds or so, connect them back coax first, wait for 4 solid lights, right click the local, hit enable...

If you don't want to disable/enable the local, just turn the computer off while you powercycle, I just don't want it looking for a connection from a modem you are powercycling...  7 is friendly it prob wont matter, XP not so friendly, so you'll want to disable the connection or turn it off....   test again...

Contributor
slayer2122

I tried it, but didn't really get an improvment :c should I just give comcast a call? 

And ps. Thanks for trying to help, I really appreciate it

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

np man...  might as well call...  only thing they can really do from there is check the signals, look at some historical plots, see its bootfile, reprovision it...  thats about it...  im thinking the bootfile is fine though, you're getting a blast d/l speed, in fact its actually higher than blast usually is...  think blast is 22 + 8 powerboost...  and 2 to 4 upload....

is that windows 7?

Contributor
slayer2122

Yea I have win 7

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

run the command prompt as administrator and type:

netsh int ip reset log.txt

and

netsh winsock reset

then reboot...  if you still have a poor upload speed, directly connected from the modem, i honestly don't see anything else you can do from your end...  one of the best modems on the market, and up to date computer and OS...  gonna have to see about reprovisioning the modem, or at worst a service call...  to possibly be told u own the modem, and it's the modem...

unfortunately...  most employees are smart enough to realize that the system works in a giant circle...  the stuff is so ambiguous to the end user, and so many components involved, i promise i could come up with 10 different answers that all contradicted each other but all sounded plausible...

sucks for ya man...  sorry about that...  have the modem reprovisoned, have the router removed while you do that...

Connection Expert
EG

There seems to be nothing wrong with your speeds. The Speakeasy testing site is a total joke and has been for years..

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

I thought they looked fine too, but I don't doubt he noticed a decrease...

Contributor
slayer2122

[ Edited ]

alright so I did all of the command prompt stuff, and I got download speeds of 36.25 mbps and a whopping 0.57 upload speed lol. This is so frusturating :smileysilly:

New Visitor
RB41

After my NETGEAR modem was blitzed by a near lightening strike, I purchased the Linksys DCP3008. I had the same problem as you with the Linksys. Blistering download speeds; upload was in the toilet. Spent hours on the phone with the CISCO agent who even though there are dozens of threads on the Internet about the problem, offered no solution. Returned the Linksys modem and went back to NETGEAR. Upload speeds went from .512 mbps to 1.5 mbps. Still not great, but much better,