Regular Contributor

Extreme 105 performing worse than my old Extreme 50 connection

i was getting 11 up and 54 down using an motorola sb6120 with the extreme 50 connection. Tested by speedtest.net & Xfinity everytime at the 11/54. I recently upgraded to the extreme 105. I am currently getting 5 up and 62 down. I have powercycles my router and modem. I have tested my speeds removing the router and adding back with the same results. I have an arris modem. i don't know the model number, yet. will check later. only other thing that had changed was this: i had the arris and the sb6120 on a splitter coming in. The installer suggested that i remove one of the two modems. i get my phones from the arris. so that one had to stay. now, i get poor speeds which i can justify paying for. my comp has enough of all the recommended specs. I am really concerned over the up than the down. Any ideas? Thanks for any suggestions or tricks/ideas!

Connection Expert
EG

Re: Extreme 105 performing worse than my old Extreme 50 connection

We really need to see the model number of the Arris modem/eMTA.

Regular Contributor

it's an Arris

M/N: TM702G/CT 

P/N: TM02AHDG7CT

Thanks Again!

Connection Expert
EG

Well that is indeed a D3 capable modem/emta. It could be that the correct config file hasn't yet been pushed to it by them. Have you tried resetting it by using the recessed reset button on the rear ? Sometimes this is needed in order for it to download the new config. If this doesn't do the trick you should call in and let them know and confirm that they have pushed it.

Regular Contributor

thanks, i will push the reset button. I was on last night with chat help and they sent a few signals to it. i am getting 52 down and 5 up currently. worse than my old setup. good grief. : (

Connection Expert
EG

Let us know how things turn out.

Regular Contributor

i pushed the reset button. It didn't help. I cleared the dns. I reset the router to shipped specs. redownloaded firmware. used tech chat. they sent 3 more signals to my modem. didn't help. actually, made things even worse. i checked firewalls,anti,spyware, cleared ie 9 history, downloaded latest java. ran a ping test. 0 packet lost with router and out. ran speed test with router and out. 42 down, 3 up.  i have a tech coming out sat to look everthing over.  : (  

Regular Contributor

thanks for caring! it is appreciated.

Contributor

I hate to be the Messanger of bad news but I had a similar issue when I went from Blast Internet to Extreme 50 ( For some reason they dropped Ultra) I was shocked to find my Speeds went down. To make matters worse my upload speed even after reverting back to Blast is still below what I had.

I use a few Different Sites to test my speed and compare them all along with I love having the ability to go back a year and see what I was averaging at that time helps me to verify if something has changed little by little etc.

I was getting constant results of

25.03 Mbps (3.13 MB/s) download

6.89 Mbps (861 kB/s) Upload

First 12 days after I upgraded to Extreme 50 I was averaging

6.35 Mbps (794 kB/s) Download

4.66 Mbps (583 kB/s) Upload

Which just flabergasted me that I am now paying $40 more and seeing a drop of 75% and approx 40% respectively, I worked with Comcast Tech Via Phone and Internet on at least 3 occasions and for some reason ( on the Comcast Side as I have a 10/100/1000 Nic and connected Via 1000) It never was able to consistantly download above 30Mbps so I decided it was not worth an additional $40 So I went back to Blast.

I have had Comcast Triple Play in my house since 4/2007 and I was very satisfied and impressed with the Speed of my Internet and the Unbelievable reliability, I only had 2 issues from 2007-approx 7-2009 when I had a Modem that for no reaon anyone could find throttled my speeds by 90% so that was replaced and then I had( Nothing to do with Comcast at all) my Wireless router immitating the bad Modem and di the exact same ting so I got a N+ Router.

But for some reason ( Something major changed)approx Jan-2011 my Speed started to vary a little and the Reliability went from a perfect 10 rating to about a 4 and on some weeks I would say a 2.

I am very irritated by some people who seem to bash anything and everything for fun, While never working to solve the problem and alot of times never even did enough trouble shooting to even remotely find the Cause but come off acting like it is 100% somone elses fault, SO I try real hard not to reply with those type of comments in my replys or start threads with those type of comments.

I will be subscribing to this thread and I am looking forward to seeing what comes out of this if you get the Extreme 105 working properly or if you decide to go back to extreme 50 along with I would appreciate it if you could post some results from which ever Tier you decide to stay with along with any past results if you have any.

I will list some of the Sites I use and I find it benifits me to have multiple test results for a range of sites when Techs or anyone else try's to lead me to a test that always seems to show quite higher results then any of the other ones I use, But the other ones stay +/- 5% of each other so I know they are correct.

www.testmy.net (if you register you can record all tests to compare, I like this one alot)

www.speedguide.net ( Has alot of Speed Tweaks, Reviews and Tools)

www.speakeasy.net/speedtest ( you can choose servers cloe or far to compare)

www.speedtest.net

www.whatismyip.com

http://reviews.cnet.com/internet-speed-test/

http://speedtest.comcast.net/

I sure hope you get your Speed issue fixed I know how frustrating it is to look forward to better faster speed to have it end up slower then what you previously had or not worth the extra $$

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

To the original poster. I'm going to escalate your issue to ComcastSteve. He has an excellent track record on getting things like this straightened out. You might also want to send him a private message here;

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/214920

Keep your eye on this thread for a response. Good luck !

Official Employee
ComcastSteve

To OP,

You do have the correct config file for Extreme 105/10 speed. I went ahead and re provisioned the modem just to be sure you are running optimally.

Can you post some speed tests with and without the router in the mix?

http://speedtest.comcast.net/

Make sure the tech that is scheduled for tomorrow confirm the speed before he leaves.

Steve Teow

Connection Expert
EG

Thank you for the speedy response Steve ! :smileyhappy:

Regular Contributor

Hi, Steve

Today , my speeds have been a lot better for most of the day. This morning i tested on Xfinity and Sppedtest around 119 down and 6 up. The afternoon, it was 80 down and 8 up. now at 11pm, around 19 down and 9 up.

Currently -

it is working better. But, i have noticed a lot of chugging . Anyways, Thanks Steve for the Help! I canceled the tech due to my speeds being better for most of the day.

Regular Contributor

Thanks, EG!

Regular Contributor

i can post some test without the router tommorrow if you're still interested. Thanks AGAIN!

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

No worries ! It's why we lurk !  :smileyhappy:

Connection Expert
EG

tehshrapnel wrote:

i can post some test without the router tommorrow if you're still interested. Thanks AGAIN!

Please do. We need to see if the router is constraining you. What is the make and model nunber of the router ?

Networking Expert
Baric

tehshrapnel wrote:

It would also be interesting to see the modem signal stats when running at top speed and when it slows down.

http://192.168.100.1

Regular Contributor

it is a dlink dir-855 N dual Band wireless router

Regular Contributor

stats? like ping? where can i find those?   Current as of 1am:

thanks for the help!

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

stats1.gifHere is a screenshot of the recent test stats

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Just curious - didn't the tech that did your Extreme 105 install check the speeds?

Regular Contributor

yes, he stated that he checked speedtest and i was getting 64 . Then lefted. never mentioned up or thought 64 was terrible.

Networking Expert
kevj

tehshrapnel wrote:

it is a dlink dir-855 N dual Band wireless router

That router shouldn'tbe a bottleneck...smallnetbuilder says it gets over 330mb/s both WAN to LAN and LAN to WAN

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Regular Contributor

when i tested it the other day i was receiving the same results with the router and without the router. will try again sometime today. Thanks Again too All!

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

tehshrapnel wrote:

yes, he stated that he checked speedtest and i was getting 64 . Then lefted. never mentioned up or thought 64 was terrible.

Well, what was the point of him being there then?! Useless tech.

Networking Expert
Baric

tehshrapnel,

That Arris stat screen shot, was that with the router or computer directly connected?  Are you certain the computer is getting a gigabit ethernet connection?  Are you using some kind of software firewall?  If so, disable it as a test and retry the speed at speedtest.comcast.net.

Regular Contributor

stats2.gif

10:36 pm est. with router.will post without tonight. windows firewall turned off. only anti virus is micrsoft essentials. yes, i have a gigabit ethernet connection. stat screen before and now with router. will retake pic without router 

Regular Contributor

Thanks To Everyone! Let me know and i'll answer.

Regular Contributor

test & stats without router 12:36am

stats3.gif

Regular Contributor

2nd set of tests without router. 12:39 am

stats4.gif

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

12:44 am  test / stats with router

stats5.gif

Networking Expert
Baric

[ Edited ]

If the same problem happens (speed flucuations) without the router, then the issue is either the PC, or the EMTA and/or signal.  Try a different computer direct connecting to the Arris, same issues?  If so, it's the Arris or the signal is unstable.  The numbers at the modem seem to be pretty consistent and look within specs, nothing raises a red flag.  Call Comcast and ask them for the upstream SNR and upstream receieve power.  If those look good, I'd have them replace the EMTA.  If that problem still persists, then they have a signal (or cabling) issue that needs to be addressed.

Regular Contributor

Baric,

I am not sure if i mentioned this yet. I was using the same laptop computer before when i had the Extreme 50. Which i was pulling 54 down and 11 up on a regular basis. But i had two modems in the system. I had an Motorola sufboard sb6120 and this Arris. Both coming in from outside then going thru a splitter. the reason being i had originally only had internet, then later added phones to my account. The second installer didn't want to take out the sb6120 when adding the Arris. Maybe , he knew something we don't? Is this Arris a so-so modem for the interent but better for phone use? I have had issues with my phones on several occasions that i have to power cycle that modem. I wonder if the sb6120 was still in the system how it would preform. I had it removed due to the rental fee and my connection being split.  I guess i should have left it alone. I don't have another computer to use but a netbook with much less specs. I'll post the specs of my Dell Laptop later. I know i have Windows 7. I can't remember the rest. I will call Comcast tonight if i get a chance. Thanks for the help!

Networking Expert
Baric

You can try the SB6120, but as soon as they enabled HSI on the Arris (instead of just phones), they probably deavtivated the SB6120, but you can try and see.  My guess is it won't work, or it's still configured for the older, slower tier. 

I do know that older Arris EMTA's had trouble maintaing an Internet connection or speed when a phone call was in progress, but I haven't heard of a problem with the newer Arris models.  I do know that others have this model with the 100+ tier and are getting the top speeds (ie, 110+) wth it.  So, in general it should handle the configured speed, which means either your specific EMTA is not working as it should, or the signal is flaky, or there is an issue with your computer.  If you don't have a second decent system to test with, how about a friend with a laptop with gigabit ethernet?

Have you called Comcast for the upstread SNR and receive power?

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Baric,

Downstream Signal Quality (SNR) - 36.1

Upstream Signal Quality (SNR) - 30.7

Regular Contributor

this is a direct connect

call support. setup an appointment. weird issue, call phone support 1st. the auto system said there were issues in my area. then the chat rep said there were none.

Networking Expert
Baric

tehshrapnel wrote:

Baric,

Downstream Signal Quality (SNR) - 36.1

Upstream Signal Quality (SNR) - 30.7

The upstream SNR is borderline too low which means you might have a noise issue on your upstream channel.  Since your speeds are all over the map, it sounds like some kind of fluctuating issue, like a loose connector or bad cable.  If you have verified it's not in your setup (as much as you can without test equipment), then you need Comcast to come out and make sure they don't leave without fixing the issue or at least tell you what they will do to find and correct it.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

ok, had the tech come out today. he didn't have any of the info the online rep took down to give to him. anyways, he didn't have a test computer. He put in a newer Arris modem. # tm722 . Router and modems speeds were real close. He said the snr was normal and that no one received 100 mbps down. He had ordered his boss to come out with a computer and test some more. he showed me speeds of 80 down.  Figures, as soon as he leaves lowers to 60. He did mention that the motorola's seem to be much faster than arris. That the techs weren't allowed to give motorola modems only arris. he could request one, but he said he probably would never see it. I had  better luck going down to my local office like i did last time. I was thinking about getting my sb6120 back and splitting the two again. maybe that way the speeds would come from the sb6120 and the phones the arris. IDK at this point. Btw - why doesn't the online or phone reps have any numbers to any of the local offices. They couldn't even call them theirselves.  Should i try both modems again? just leave whatever i get as is. Latest-

he used speakeasy's site. he claimed he had to use "washington" only. all techs did. I can assure you the previous one didn't.

Networking Expert
Baric

My guess is splitting your HSI out with an SB6120 will not help much since the problem is likely in the signal.  If the speed bounces around even with a new ETMA, then it's likely not the EMTA.  What you need to do is complain and have the problem escalated, the install techs aren't much good with problems that aren't immediately obvious on premise or the drop.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

the tech kepted on repeating to me that the signal should be between 28-40. i was 36. he hinted that i shouldn't complain.

Thanks Again, Baric! I do appreciate all the help.

Networking Expert
Baric

tehshrapnel wrote:

the tech kepted on repeating to me that the signal should be between 28-40. i was 36. he hinted that i shouldn't complain.

Thanks Again, Baric! I do appreciate all the help.

Just becasue your signal is within spec doesn't mean things are fine.  Those numbers are a snapshot in time.  And even with a perfect signal, there may be an issue upstream of you with a local router, etc.  If you are not getting what you are paying for, they own you a refund.  If they continue not to deliver, you need to complain up the chain or downgrade speed or go elsewhere.

New Visitor
nicky95

This was my 20mb service. You guys can believe this? They were saying my modem signal is good.

Nothing wrong with that.

http://results.speedtest.comcast.net/result/82956432.png

I was paying 20mb service price almost for 6months to one year with this speed because I recognized this slow speed recently.

Whenever it usually is good speed at the beginning, but after 6month~1year, they used to reduce speed without notice.

Networking Expert
Baric

nicky95 wrote:

This was my 20mb service. You guys can believe this? They were saying my modem signal is good.

Nothing wrong with that.

http://results.speedtest.comcast.net/result/82956432.png

I was paying 20mb service price almost for 6months to one year with this speed because I recognized this slow speed recently.

Whenever it usually is good speed at the beginning, but after 6month~1year, they used to reduce speed without notice.

Definitely something wrong there.  If you wish some help diagnosing the problem, start you rown thread and give your exact details, make/model of modem, router, etc, how things are connected, modem signal stats, etc.

Regular Contributor

I wanted to give you guys an update. I had two more service techs come out. The last one found out or noticed that 5 houses lost "registration" all at the same time. 3 houses west of me and 2 east. This Rep called a supervisor. Which chewed this guy's out for some reason. The guy kepted saying no need to get nasty with me, i am trying to help the customer. The Rep that came out gave a phone number of this supervisor. None of my calls were ever returned. A few weeks later i was getting 110 down and 10 up. Solid, 24-7.

Connection Expert
EG

Seems like they FINALLY got it going. Good luck !

Regular Contributor

My latest issue.... I have been getting these speeds recently. http://stage.results.speedtest.comcast.net/result/151888582.png

i get a letter stating that my records indicate that i might not being getting the speeds i should.

i have checked my current speeds since this letter. this whole week, and they are this: http://stage.results.speedtest.comcast.net/result/153002572.png

Any clues why? Solid, Poor.

Regular Contributor

Thanks, but a new issues has rised. lol. 

Regular Contributor

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

Thought you said that things were good... Perhaps you should call back in and report that they are not.