Visitor

Flashing modem lights

All of my modem lights are flashing continuously, although phone and internet are functioning OK. Flashing lights usually indicate a problem?

Thank you, Bob

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

Re: Flashing modem lights

What model modem?

Connection Expert
JamesR

Is it the modem directly connected to a wall jack? Or Are there any Splitters In the line?
Visitor

Modem is a Comcast phone and internet and have it plugs directly into wall outlet.

This problem just started yesterday, has been working OK the past year.

Contributor
charity123

I had the triple play installed on June 1st.  there are seven circles that can potentially light up on the modem. The first one is the power light which should always stay lit, the second says us/ds--should stay lit, third says online--should stay lit, fourth says wifi which does not stay lit but blinks if you are online wirelessly or unfortunately for me blinks three or more times at first then once every minute when my neighbors are obviously stealing or should I say using it, otherwise it only blinks when I am using it, the fifth shows tel 1 with a telephone on it,  it stays lit because I have only one telephone line but blinks when we are using the phone, and the sixth one shows tel 2 and does not light up because I don't have a second line even though I had to unplug the modem a time or two or three when the tel 2 light stayed lit too, and the seventh shows battery which stays lit when it is fully charged due to the modem constantly charging it via electricity.  The battery light should blink only when the modem is not plugged in and the battery is low.  If you unplug the modem to get your neighbors off your wifi the power light will blink, the telephone line will stay lit and should not blink and the battery will not show at all unless it is low in power.  I don't know why all of your lights are constantly blinking and I hope I have helped somehow.  You should call Comcast.  It took over an hour and six different people to help me password protect my router/wifi and my neighbors are still using my wifi more than I am so I have to call them again. 

Connection Expert
EG

charity123 wrote:

It took over an hour and six different people to help me password protect my router/wifi and my neighbors are still using my wifi more than I am so I have to call them again. 

Guess it wasn't effective then ?? You need to use a wireless security encryption scheme such as WPA2 rather than just a router access password.

Visitor

Thanks for the input. I have seven flashing lights, the  #2 light is steady. (8 total) I don't use wireless, had too many problems, so went to ethernet  and have all of my computers and printer on that. The lights flash 2 or 3 times per second. I guess I'll have to call Comcast. 

Regular Problem Solver

What is the Make and Model of your internet/telephone modem. I have never heard of Comcast giiving you

a combination telephony/modem and wireless router

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

corgi11 wrote:

What is the Make and Model of your internet/telephone modem. I have never heard of Comcast giiving you

a combination telephony/modem and wireless router

FYI, here is a new one that they have started distributing;

http://www.smc.com/files/AX/SMCD3GNVFeatureSheet.pdf

PDF reader needed to view link.

Regular Problem Solver

Thanks

Regular Problem Solver

Here is a Comcast link to the complete User Guide and the Quick Start Guide:

http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/HelpNFC.aspx?print=false&id=e70e9d0e-d9eb-4748-b163-636a323e7950

New Visitor
For_sure

I have a Ubee 10C035 cable modem. In the early morning hours, the DS and ready light vegan flashing for about 15 minutes. After that the Ethernet lights on both the modem and router began flashing at a high rate. Comcast doesn't know why. They sent a refresh which indicated success on their end but showed no effect on my end. I have broken the whole system apart and reconnect without changes.

I am sched for 20mb upgrade next week and suspect they might causing this problem.
Connection Expert
EG

For_sure wrote:
I have a Ubee 10C035 cable modem. In the early morning hours, the DS and ready light vegan flashing for about 15 minutes. After that the Ethernet lights on both the modem and router began flashing at a high rate. Comcast doesn't know why. They sent a refresh which indicated success on their end but showed no effect on my end. I have broken the whole system apart and reconnect without changes.

I am sched for 20mb upgrade next week and suspect they might causing this problem.

Sounds like you may have gotten a new firmware load pushed to the modem which now causes the *Activity* indicator light on the modem to behave differently or you may now be on a different/larger subnet with more background ARP and DHCP traffic making the lights show more activity. Are you now having any connectivity issues ? If not, I wouldn't sweat it.

Visitor

I just found my solution to the flashing lights, there is a recessed reset button on the back of modem, I tried it, lights seem to be working normal now.

Connection Expert
EG

By resetting all defaults you may have gotten yourself a different IP on a different subnet again with less activity. I wouldn't actually classify this as a "solution" if there wasn't a bona fide problem in the first place. You didn't answer whether or not you were indeed having actual connectivity issues or if the reset has now fixed them. Hey, if your are now happy with the lights then that's all that matters here !! :smileyhappy:

New Visitor
For_sure

Thanks to both of you. I was gonna reset the device but thought that there may have been a. bios update pushed as EG suggests, and that the reset might kluge it. Field support vs phone support is the old right hand/left hand thing.

I have appt next week to test my home line speed to see if it will support 20mb so I will break nothing until then... The old saying...if it works, etc...

Thanks...L
Email Expert
CCCarole

Password protected my wifi but no longer want wifi.

Moved to it's own Thread. Unless your issue is exactly the same as the original poster, it is always a good idea to start your own thread to avoid confusion with the OP's problem. Thank you.

Contributor
charity123

Re. Confusing the issues

Sorry. Didn't mean to.  I am new to the forum and a little unsure how things work.  Thank you for moving my message.

Connection Expert
EG
Connection Expert
EG
Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

Year and a half old thread now closed.