New Visitor
Schreckly

Frequent Internet and Phone outages in Boca Raton FL

I (along with my neighbors) have been experiencing frequent intermittent and but brief outages in central Boca Raton FL for the past 3 weeks. These outages usually last less than 5 minutes, but have been occurring sometimes every 15 minutes or so, and sometimes at much longer intervals. Telephone and internet services are interrupted, but television remains available.  My home has been checked out by Comcast with no problems identified.  What I have also been told is that there is a pirate radio station operating intermittently within a 3 mile radious of my home that is causing these interruptions and they are struggling to identify its location.  I don't know if this is reliable information, but I wonder if I would experience the same outages with AT&T U-verse since it operates on fiber optic DSL. Any thoughts?  

Visitor
Big-Al-51

Re: Frequent Internet and Phone outages in Boca Raton FL

I have the same symptoms in Boynton Beach. I believe the problem is related to unreliable COMCAST DNS Servers. My servers are 68.87.68.166 and 68.87.74.166. You can check this by opening a CMD prompt and typing "IPCONFIG /ALL". Your DNS Servers should be listed there.

I worked around the problem by pointing my configuration to other (non-COMCAST) DNS Servers. The servers I picked are listed at http://www.opendns.com . However, there may be others that work as well.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Since this is an ongoing problem, you should drop a note to Comcast corporate customer service (we_can_help@cable.comcast.com).

For the quickest response, please include:
Your full name;
Service address;
Phone number & an alternate number if possible;
Account number;
A link to your post.

Or you can ask for help in the Broadband Reports Comcast Direct Forum.
Be aware that you won't get a response on the weekend as they work normal business hours.

And no, fiber optics are not subject to radio interference. But the "Pirate Radio" excuse sounds like a bunch of BS to me.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Can you please give us more information:

1) Please connect your computer directly to the modem via Ethernet ( no router, no wireless, no USB )
2) Run ShaperProbe and post your results. (It works with Win 7)
3) Post your upstream and downstream signal levels (click the link.) We are interested in your power levels (dBmV) and your Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR).
4) Let us know to what speed tier you subscribe.
5) Post the make a model of your modem.

Visitor
Big-Al-51

I changed my DNS Servers to use:

208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 (OpenDNS) and everything seems to work fine now.

My modem info is:

Model Name: SB6120
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB612X-1.0.3.3-SCM00-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot 1.0.0.4m1
Hardware Version: 3.0

Firmware Build Time: Aug 12 2010 13:58:19

Downstream Bonding Channel Value

Channel ID 4 1 2 3

Frequency 597000000 Hz 579000000 Hz 585000000 Hz 591000000 Hz

Signal to Noise Ratio 36 dB 36 dB 36 dB 36 dB

Downstream Modulation QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256

Power Level  -6 dBmV -6 dBmV -6 dBmV -7 dBmV

Channel ID 7 Frequency 36500000 Hz Ranging Service ID 2324 Symbol Rate 5.120 Msym/sec Power Level 43 dBmV Upstream Modulation [3] QPSK
[3] 16QAM Ranging Status Success

Contributor
Mattitude87

I am having this problem as well. Same modem as poster above. I recently moved to Deerfield Beach after living in Tallahassee, where I had the same hardware without problem. Now I get interrmitent drops in connection, lasting a few minutes each time. The frequency is random... sometimes it's fine for hours, sometimes it drops out every 20 minutes.

I have swapped my DNS servers over to the OpenDNS servers, but alas after a few hours my connection just interrupted again. :smileysad:

New Visitor
Schreckly

In follow-up, thank you for the suggestion to contact Comcast Customer Service via the email address which you provided. I had a Supervisor call me within hours and they immediately dispatched a technician who was successfully able to troubleshoot the problem to some defective wiring issues.  The prompt response and diligent follow-up was quite impressive.  My service is now working perfectly.

Connection Expert
EG