Contributor
camassari

Gateway Modem Problems - Wifi

I have been without wifi for over a week!! I have spoken to at least 5 different technicians that can not reconfigure my modem.  One time I was sent to "special tech" service only to wait for a half hour on hold and then was prompted to hit "1" to leave a call back number.  Every time I put in my number it read it back incorrect.  I gave up.  Called again and got the direct line, I called it myself and it was the service you have to pay for.  Then I called again the next day, spoke with a nice girl who went through all the hoops and still couldn't get it to work.  then she gave me the number to the "special Tech" that wasn't supposed to be a charge for.  When I dialed the number it was an undesirable (I am not allowed to type the word) call center!  I give up -- how do I get Comcast to respond appropriately?  How many times do I have to call before they send out a new modem and a tech to reinstall it?  the nearest office is over 20 miles from my house and I have to say this is the most inconvenient service I have ever had. 

New Visitor
kindness53

Re: Gateway Modem Problems - Wifi

I agree same problems here. Bev

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

What do you mean you talked to 5 techs? You mean customer service reps on the phone? There are actual techs that read these forums, if you give us more info, perhaps we can help you.

Contributor
camassari

Yes - customer service reps -- and how do I access help from a "tech"

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Just tell us what your problem is and give us details...

Contributor
camassari

I have a Gateway Modem w/wifi router included.  Everything on the modem is working except the wifi -- so I can go on-line when the ethernet cord is attached.  My computer doesn't even pick up the wifi -  I have rebooted, reset, unplugged, and disconnected the cable and nothing has worked.  The customer reps have sent signals to it and it reboots but the wifi light flashes once or twice and then goes out.  I am not in front of my modem right now --

New Visitor
Postboyd

I just recieved my gateway modem yesterday and am having the same issues. :smileysad:

Networking Expert
Baric

camassari wrote:

I have a Gateway Modem w/wifi router included.  Everything on the modem is working except the wifi -- so I can go on-line when the ethernet cord is attached.  My computer doesn't even pick up the wifi -  I have rebooted, reset, unplugged, and disconnected the cable and nothing has worked.  The customer reps have sent signals to it and it reboots but the wifi light flashes once or twice and then goes out.  I am not in front of my modem right now --

What "Gateway Modem" do you have EXACTLY?  There are many different gateway type devices in use out there and we have no idea what you have.

Contributor
camassari

Model # - SMCD3GNV

Networking Expert
Baric

camassari wrote:

Model # - SMCD3GNV

Yuck.

My advice, get rid of it, or at least have it placed in bridge mode and get your own wireless router.  The wireless function on the SMCD3GNV is reported to be very poor.

Connection Expert
EG

+ 1000

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg
New Visitor
hiramcarter

Hi - I had a similar problem with long wait times only to be transferred, surprisingly,  to a pay service.  After all that (2 days, and 1 1/2 hrs) I finally got through to a very helpful tech who confirmed my thinking that the problem was probably my netgear router since my wired speeds are @ 34-35 mpbs and my wireless speeds are anywhere from .97 to 3-4-5 mpbs.  So, a tech is coming by tomorrow to change out both my modem and router and replace them with a Gateway modem/router.  Now, above I just read that the Gateway model number specified was not very good.  I guess my question is this (or, maybe, are these):  Do techs carry several different models with them? Can I specify a model.  And, if all fails, which Comcast compatible modem and router, or modem/router from any maker, is considered the strongest?  Thanks, hc.

Networking Expert
Baric

Tel them you do NOT want a gateway device, just a cable modem and that you will supply the router.  Better yet, buy your own cable modem and router.  For high speed serivce the Motorola SB6120 and Zoom 5341 work well as modems, and any decent router will work with them.

My advice is to stay far away from gateway devices, they invariably lead to problems, sooner or later.

New Visitor
hiramcarter

Thanks, Baric, that sounds like reasonable advice.  Have you had any experience with the D-Link DIR-655 Extreme N Gigabit Wireless Router?  hc

Networking Expert
Baric

I have no direct experience with that particular model, but I know others use it and it works fine.

Connection Expert
EG

I am using one as we speak and I love it. I have had it for two years now with nary a hiccup !! It is very fast, handles multiple simultaneous connections with ease, and has very good wireless capabilities and range. The only downfall IMO is that it won't support any third party firmware usage.

New Visitor
hiramcarter

Thanks, that's a big help.  Cheers, hc.

Contributor
camassari

Comcast came out finally after someone in Corporate headquarters called me back.  They just added a new Netgear router and I am now finally able to go wireless. 

New Visitor
Schwartzzz

So I was issued both a Gateway modem, (the same spoke of above) and the Netgear router as well. Do I need to use both to achieve wireless and ethernet connection? Or just the Netgear router? If I need to use both, could someone explain how to use both simultaneously?

Networking Expert
Baric

You only need one, as both provide routing and wireless functions.  However, only the SMC gateway provides a cable modem.  To only use the Netgear router, you need a cable modem.  You have several choices here:

1. Use the SMC only with its wireless signal.  Not a great option since there are many, many complaints about the wireless performance and range on this device.

2. Use the SMC and Netgear together.  Configure the SMC and Netgear to use different SSID's and wireless channels and just one the Netgear for wireless access.  This results in a double NAT setup (you have to traverse 2 NAT firewalls to get out) and makes port forwarding from the outside more complicated.  Some software and equipment will NOT like this setup, although in most cases it works.

3. Call Comcast and have them place the SMC gateway in bridge more, which effectively turns the device into an EMTA (cable modem with telephony support for Xfinity Voice).  Then simply connect the Netgear to one of the LAN ports on the gateway.  This results in a much more typical single NAT setup, which is much preferable to the double NAT setup in #2.

4. Get rid of the SMC gateway and replace it with a simple cable modem (or EMTA if you have Voice service) and hook the Netgear to it.

Personally, I'd go with #4, the SMC gateway is not well regarded, although that's primarily because of its abysmal wireless function. #3 is also acceptable.  I would avoid #2 although it will work in many situations.  Avoid #1 at all costs.

New Visitor
PainKiller

I had the dir-655, i liked it, but comcast told me to just use the one installed in the modem, I'm not great with computers, and my knowledge is limited, but I did like the router,  even though I only used it for a few months and now it's just sitting in a box like all the other routers ive had in the past...lol

Connection Expert
EG

That's "your" choice to make..

New Visitor
sdinsf

I am having the same problems and seems the only solution after hours of research is to bridge it (someone said it will update the firmware automatically if you do that also) Firmware is up to comcast Motorola states very plainly and Comcast wont send this yet approved the the model as compatible? NOT compatible if you cant get your laptop to work in another room cause of these connectivity issues from this customers point of view. I am disappointed this is even an issue.  

New Visitor
romeodejesus

Gateway comcast router is very unstable unit.  I have this gateway router for a year. Everything works except WIFI. side of the router. I wish comcast redesign this equipment.

Connection Expert
EG

Almost two year old thread now closed.