New Visitor

How To Register a New Cable Modem?

I am considering the purchase of a new cable modem (DOCSIS 2). It will be a Surfboard 5120. I wonder what I need to do to get it "registered" on the Comacast network as replacing my old Surfboard 4100.

Before being sold to Comcast, my cable service was via ATTBI and they had an online web page which you could go to to register the new modem. Is there anything like that at Comcast?

Note: I have never needed to install/use any Comcast-provided software on my computers and have been happy to keep things that way. I do not want to start doing this now.

Really this would seem simple. I'd think that all I need to do is give Comcast the MAC address of the new modem and my account number so they can associate the two.

Thanks,

David
Seattle
Most Valued Poster
bertamayo

Re: How To Register a New Cable Modem?

only way out : call 1-800-comcast, dont let them open a ticket though...
Message was edited by: bertamayo
Regular Problem Solver

Anon8419.....
You do NOT need to install any Comcast software (unless you plan on using USB - NOT recommended - and need to load drivers....).....You can call 1-800-COMCAST and register via phone or on the Web.....Not sure of the exact URL for online reg, though.....but it IS doable; many have....
And....good luck with the 5120!!:smileyhappy:
Most Valued Poster
bertamayo

for ONLINE registration, you need to download some software, which is the same as the cd, also not recommended...just call...