New Visitor

How do I obtain a static ip address from Comcast?

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: How do I obtain a static ip address from Comcast?

[ Edited ]

Switch to a business account. Why would you need a static ip address with a residential account? I can't think of anything you can't do on a residential account without a static ip address. But rather than having us guess what your need is, please provide some detail.

When posting please:

1) Include a short overview of the topic in the Subject area

2) Describe your problem or ask your question in the text box below including exact and complete error messages if any, your configuration details, what you are trying to do when the issue happens, etc. The more details you provide the faster we can help you.

In most cases, blank posts will be locked as they generally do not provide adequate information for the Forum Admins and helpers to give proper guidance. We hope you'll try again following the posting guidelines, and we'll be able to give you the help you need.

Message Edited by FishMan on 09-17-2009 09:42 AM
Contributor

Why would you attack the question?  Because you can't think of a reason you berate the guy.  He probably tries to connect to his home computer from a different site and is tired of Comcast changing his ip.  Yes, I know there are sites like No-Ip.com which will help but why do you have to go through a third party.  I went on vacation and in the middle of it my home ip address changed and I lost contact with my home computer.  Things like Quicken were no longer assessible, I couldn't transfer my photos to my home computer and a few other inconvenciencies.  These are some of the things that you can do with a static ip address.  Oh, I forgot to mention that I stream my music files to my G1 and when the address changes I have no more music or access to some of the other files on my home computer.

Simple question of how to do something, why be so rude.

john

Connection Expert
JamesR

netFad wrote:

Call Comcast Sales and inquire about pricing for the Static IP.  My guess is that Fishman is right and you will have to open up a Commercial Account.

An Alternative would be to use your Free Webpage and put your files up there password protected.  That way you wouldn't need to worry about Static IPs because your Free Webpage is accessible by name instead of IP address.

Contributor

Thanks, good answer about contacting comcast.  However the personnel page doesn't offer much support because of the limited size.  I have close to 6 gigs of music and that is just what I listen to.  As for photos, considerably more.  I have started shooting RAW with a 12 mp camera and the files are huge.

Thanks for the suggestion though.  I will contact comcast about that.

john

Connection Expert
JamesR

jbs1136 wrote:

Thanks, good answer about contacting comcast.  However the personnel page doesn't offer much support because of the limited size.  I have close to 6 gigs of music and that is just what I listen to.  As for photos, considerably more.  I have started shooting RAW with a 12 mp camera and the files are huge.

john

Heh Heh  Sounds to me like you are in the process of justifying a new Laptop with a huge Hard drive, great graphics, wide screen and a Killer Sound system.

Bronze Problem Solver

[ Edited ]

jbs1136 wrote:

Why would you attack the question?  Because you can't think of a reason you berate the guy.  He probably tries to connect to his home computer from a different site and is tired of Comcast changing his ip.  Yes, I know there are sites like No-Ip.com which will help but why do you have to go through a third party.  I went on vacation and in the middle of it my home ip address changed and I lost contact with my home computer.  Things like Quicken were no longer assessible, I couldn't transfer my photos to my home computer and a few other inconvenciencies.  These are some of the things that you can do with a static ip address.  Oh, I forgot to mention that I stream my music files to my G1 and when the address changes I have no more music or access to some of the other files on my home computer.

Simple question of how to do something, why be so rude.

john

:smileyconfused: The OP did not provide any details so I provided the best answer possible. There was nothing rude in my response. I suggested getting a business account as that is what is needed to get a staic ip address from Comcast. I also pointed out that I can't think of anything that would require a static ip address. I still can't. You can do all the things you point out using a dynamic ip address if you set up a dynamic DNS service. That is what dynamic DNS is for. As for going through a third party, it is just the DNS service that is performed by a third party. Your connection nor your data goes through the third party DNS server. Setting up dynamic DNS just resolves your dynamic ip address, nothing else.

Message Edited by FishMan on 10-07-2009 05:13 PM
Email Expert

jbs1136 wrote:

john

If you're planning on operating a web server, that's another reason to switch to a business account. Running servers is against the Terms of Service for residential accounts.
Another possibility is to sign up with a web hosting service. That's likely to be less expensive than a business account with Comcast. 

Contributor

Not planning on running a web server, just want to be able to connect to my home computer when I am away.  As I stated before, I would like to have the ability to upload my photos to my home computer (more space there) and to access my checking info (quicken) in the event that I need to.  Maybe, stream some music from my home computer to my phone or laptop while away.  I don't think any of these things constitute running a webserver or would require my getting a business account.

Again, why would I want to run my connection through someone not necessary.  If I had a static connection I could connect, instead you propose I sign up for an account with someone else and rely on them to maintain my access to my home computer.  Why would I want to do that?  Yes I know it is simple and easy but not as easy as if I had a static address.

john

Bronze Problem Solver

jbs1136 wrote:

Not planning on running a web server, just want to be able to connect to my home computer when I am away.  As I stated before, I would like to have the ability to upload my photos to my home computer (more space there) and to access my checking info (quicken) in the event that I need to.  Maybe, stream some music from my home computer to my phone or laptop while away.  I don't think any of these things constitute running a webserver or would require my getting a business account.

Again, why would I want to run my connection through someone not necessary.  If I had a static connection I could connect, instead you propose I sign up for an account with someone else and rely on them to maintain my access to my home computer.  Why would I want to do that?  Yes I know it is simple and easy but not as easy as if I had a static address.

john

Consumer level routers typically have dynamic DNS support built in. So it is very easy. You don't have to do anything except register the name you want. But it appears you are set on getting a static ip address. I think, as I said previously, that Comcast no longer provides static ip addresses to residential customers. Static ip addresses are an add-on to the business account.

Networking Expert
kevj

Using a Dynamic DNS service does not mean you are 'running your connection through someone else". All it means is that you are using a 3rd party service to provide you with DNS resolution for an easy-to-remember hostname that you pick and associate with the Internet IP on your router (assuming you have a router). As previously mentioned. most home routers have the ability to automatically update the Dynamic DNS service you have chosen whenever the IP on your Comcast connection changes (which is rarely anymore, unless Comcast have done any major work on their networks in your area). Personally, I have had the same IP for at least 2 years now...and I use DynDNS for name resolution....Accessing my 'stuff' at home while I am away couldn't be easier.....

If you don't have a router, DynDNS provide a client that will run on your PC at home to update their information if your Internet IP changes....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Email Expert

I also use DynDNS.org for this, and I have it set up on my mother's computer so I can remote control it when she calls me for help. You really don't need a static IP. I don't even know how often my IP changes, because dyndns.org takes care of redirecting my hostname automatically.

As others have said, most routers can automatically update the popular dynamic DNS services. But if your router doesn't do this, you simply download an app from the service and it will do it for you. 

Contributor

Last post and I will go away quietly.  I would like to have a static ip address.  I do not want to use 3d party software/web sites/etc.  The more you use the greater chance for something to go wrong.  I am looking for the simple solution and everyone wants to add steps to my process.  The more steps the more chance for something to go wrong.  My home network, behind a router, is one Win XP, and 3 Linux computers.  I just would like to be able to go from my laptop to my desktop when I am away from home.  I do not want to run a web server.  I would be using a program called Quicken on my home computer running on wine.  Why would I want to add in all these other things.  If I had a static ip I could **bleep**o my home computer, forward my X display to my laptop do what I need to do.  All this can be run by a simple script.  Why would anyone want to connect through the web and a third party is beyond me.  I know people who do it, including my oldest son who uses Vista.  I can do the same and more in less steps than he can and I don't have to contact anyone on the web to ask for the correct ip. 

No further comments are required.  I have my way of doing things and so does everyone else.  I will just continue as I am until someone is able to break the francise and give us a choice of Internet providers and I am not forced to use Comcast which offers nothing outside of the connection that I find useful or Qwest which I tried and actually hated.  Poorer service and support and they wanted me to use MSN!

john

Connection Expert
EG

jbs1136 wrote:

Last post and I will go away quietly.  I would like to have a static ip address. 

As was previously stated by others in this thread, you will need a business account to have this..

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud