Contributor
av97005
Accepted Solution

How fast on AVERAGE is "Performance Internet" with PowerBoost supposed to be?

I signed up for Comcast "Performance Internet," which advertises "Download speeds up to 20 Mbps with PowerBoost" at $29.99/month for 6 months. This includes no TV or phone service.

I've gotten conflicting answers from tech support as to what my average speed should be. Some reps say 10-15 Mbps, others say approx. 15 Mbps, and one said 6 to 7 Mbps (which is the fastest I've clocked). Before signing up, I clicked on the "learn more" link, which led to a generic Internet deal page, with no mention of average speeds. I asked a chat rep and they were of little help, so I bought this online package on faith.

I know that "up to 20 Mbps" means temporary PowerBoost speed for some downloads, but I only get 6.3 to 6.4 Mbps (download) and 1 Mbps (upload) at various speed test sites. This is in a 1970s apartment complex near Portland, Oregon. The modem is a new DOCSIS 3.0 model (which I own) and it tests OK on Comcast's end. A tech came out to check the line, and after finding no way to make it faster, concluded I'm getting what I paid for, with no contractual definition of that speed.

Is the average speed for "Performance Internet" in writing anywhere? Do they keep it deliberately vague for geographic variables? It seems like a simple question. Thanks for any official answers.

Contributor

Re: How fast on AVERAGE is "Performance Internet" with PowerBoost supposed

[ Edited ]

If you signed up for the 20 Mbps package, the average minimum that you should be receiving is 20 Mbps.  With powerBoost, you may see speeds up to 30 Mbps depending on how much bandwidth is available.  As far as your slow speeds, check it right off the modem with a second computer.  Also ping www.comcast.net and see if you are receiving packet loss.  Also, run your speedtest at speedtest.comcast.net...

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

av97005 wrote:

Is the average speed for "Performance Internet" in writing anywhere? Do they keep it deliberately vague for geographic variables? It seems like a simple question. Thanks for any official answers.

Yes, they do. "Performance" varies from region to region. Generally it is 16/2 sustained with Powerboost you'll usually see 20/4 ish.

You can get a pretty good idea of your speeds:

- Plug directly into the modem (no router) via ethernet and run ShaperProbe.

Contributor
av97005

I wish that was true but my understanding of PowerBoost is that it only gives you 20 Mbps for initial parts of certain downloads. "Up to" does not equal "mininum."

http://blog.comcast.com/2011/08/what-is-powerboost.html (bursts that take advantage of unused network capacity)

But I don't even see evidence of those bursts. No initial spikes on the download meter, just a climb to my typical 6.3 to 6.4 Mbps.

Contributor
av97005

Do you have a link to any Comcast documents that specify that? Why can't they state it on the signup page, or somewhere easily found? The presence of PowerBoost shouldn't make the average speed a guessing game.

I've tried ShaperProbe but I keep getting the error "Server busy or measurement aborted. Please try again later." I'll keep trying but I doubt it will reveal higher average speeds.

If anyone reading this has the same plan as I do (no TV or phone included, if that matters) please post your average speed and city.

Contributor
av97005

FYI, I just tested ShaperProbe on my 4G network and it's running fine. Might Comcast be blocking that program somehow? I tried ShaperProbe the other night and got the same problem.

Contributor
av97005

[ Edited ]

The site below finally answered the details. I don't recall seeing the word "Starter" in my "Performance Internet" deal when signing up, but now I see it in my plan details. Issue solved, except for the uknown of where DOCSIS 3.0 service is actually available.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15643

Performance Starter: 6000 kbps / 1000 kbps 
Downstream: 6600 kbps 
Upstream: 1100 kbps

This translates into about 825 KB/sec maximum transfer rate when you are downloading and about 137.50 KB/sec maximum transfer rate when you are uploading.

Select Areas

Performance: 20000 kbps / 4000 kbps (DOCSIS 3.0 tier)
Downstream: 22000 kbps 
Upstream: 4400 kbps

This translates into about 2750 KB/sec maximum transfer rate when you are downloading and about 550 KB/sec maximum transfer rate when you are uploading.

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

In my market (central PA, 17401) the May 2012 price sheet includes the following note for Performance Starter: "Download speed up to 6 Mbps and upload speed up to 1 Mbps. Does not include PowerBoost."

New Visitor
mustanggt2007

I have Comcast's performance internet with no TV or phone and I get an average speed of 11.04 down and 5.81 up. I would like to know what performance should be also. Does anyone know?

New Visitor
mustanggt2007

Detroit Michigan. 11.92 down, 5-81 up.

New Visitor
LUISJENNIEO

I've recently been annoyed by the lack of speed after being told by my employer's tech support that the slow internet is causing trouble for an application I need to use.  I got a new modem, thinking that was the issue, and although that helped some, we still only get about 9.2 down, and 2.5 up.  That is with Performance internet, in Springfield, MA.

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

mustanggt2007 and LUISJENNIEO: You're posting in a thread that's a year old. To troubleshoot your speed problems please see http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/Connection-Troubleshooting-Tips/m-p/125...

If you want help, please start a new topic.

Connection Expert
EG

Thread now closed.