Contributor
w201

How to Access Motorola Surfboard SB6141 Configuration Manager?

Greetings-

I recently swapped my comcast modem for my personal motorola surfboard SB6141. Everything is up and running, however, I wanted to look at the configuration page of the modem, but was unable to access the page.

I called comcast and quite literally spent hours on the phone being bounced around from customer care to tech support to tier 1 tech support back to customer care...probably repeated that cycle several times. Seems that when they're stomped, instead of telling you they don't have an answer, they play bouncy ball to save face. All I needed to find out is why I cannot enter the configuration manager of the moden (192.168.100.0).

Most of the people I spoke to were very rude. One rep had the nerve to tell me that if I'm not experiencing a connection problem, I didn't need to look at the configuration settings. Unreal.

Needless to say I never got my answer. So, I know a lot of you guys out there use this modem, how exactly do I enter the configuration page? As stated above, I tried 192.168.100.1 and I tried the old comcast router 10.0.0.1, both time out.

What exactly is happening? Am I being blocked by comcast, or is something wrong with my modem?

Thanks!

Recognized Contributor
God1hire

Re: How to Access Motorola Surfboard SB6141 Configuration Manager?

Well the official pdf manual here http://www.midcocomm.com/_files/files/SB6141.pdf states that the config address is indeed 192.168.100.1. You sure you didn't buy this modem from somewhere online, because I can't think why it would be locking you out from changing anything. If all else fails try to do a hard reset.

Contributor
w201

Hi- Yes I did indeed buy the modem online, eBay to be exact. However, I do a lot of buying on eBay and only purchase items from reputable sellers with 100% feedback, as was the case with this particular seller. The item was also marked as new.

The modem works fine, except the blue blinking link light, which is constatnly blinking even when there is no data transfer going on. This is the main reason I wanted to access the configuration manager.

Question- if I do a hard reset, will I have to call up comcast again afterwards? I don't know if you've read my entire first post, but I'm really trying to avoid that at all costs!!!!!!

Recognized Contributor
God1hire

[ Edited ]

Yea and this particular modem doesn't have a physical reset button on it for you to push and the only way is in the configuration manager. If its not letting you access it, I'm out of ideas. Maybe try unplugging and replugging a few times.

Contributor
w201

I have already tried unplugging it and power cycling it several times before. This is very frustrating. Do you think there is any chance comcast is blocking access to the configuration page or am I being paranoid?

Contributor
w201

Well, it seems that I have narrowed down the problem... If the computer is connected directly to the modem, I can access the configuration page. Logic tells me that the culprit is my linksys router.

I'm no networking wiz, but from my understanding my Linksys router is on LAN 192.168.1.1

And my modem is on the same LAN, but with a different subnet (192.168.100.1). Any of you networking gurus known if this means I have to configure my router to access my modem config?

Recognized Contributor
God1hire

[ Edited ]

I'm not a networking guru like your requesting just another user but I was unaware that you were using a separate router as well as the modem. The router has a different config Ip address (192.168.1.1). Basically the configuration goes through anything your computer is directly plugged into.

Contributor
w201

Sorry, I guess I should have mentioned that. I thought most people out there use a router+modem setup since simple modems aren't firewalled.

Do you know if I have to use something like DMZ or port forwarding to get it to work?

Recognized Contributor
God1hire

I know I guess I wasn't thinking for some reason about you having the router. If you still can't get it to work. It seems you have to clone the mac address to the linksys router to make it work. Here is a link I found

http://www.rickysays.com/connecting-linksys-router-with-comcast-motorola-modem

Contributor
w201

Hmmm, I'll give those instructions a try.

You've been good help, thanks again!

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

You didn't post the model of the router that I saw, but the newest Linksys EA6500 series routers will not let you access  the modem page on the WAN port.  http://192.168.100.1 will not go anywhere with these EA routers.

Regular Problem Solver
PeteC2

JayInAlg wrote:

You didn't post the model of the router that I saw, but the newer Linksys EA series routers will not let you access  the modem page on the WAN port.  http://192.168.100.1 will not go anywhere with these EA routers.

What?  I have the EA4500 and have no issues whatsoever in accessing my modem's page (Zoom 5341J)...nor did I with the Arris TM722G for that matter.  My Zoom's page comes right up with http://192.168.100.1

Also no problem with my mom's EA2700.

Regular Problem Solver

No problem with modem access using my EA3500.....!

Using a Zoom 5341J, also......

Contributor
w201

Regular Contributor

No clue if it was just me or it happens sometime but, I had similar issues one time and funny enough it ended up being the browser I was using. Was trying to log in using Firefox and could not for the life of me figure it out. Then I tried Internet Explorer and it worked fine. Just a thought, maybe it was just a fluke but I figured I would throw it out there just in case.

Regular Problem Solver
PeteC2

w201 wrote:

Just an update- I. My router is a linksys EA 6500. Can anyone confirm that this is the case with my router.

I'm actually debating whether to swap out my surfboard for a more friendly compatible linksys modem.

It is not your router.  Perhaps as the last poster suggested you might try a different browser, but the EA series routers do not prevent getting to your modem's web page.

Maybe a little confusion:  Linksys is not a modem.  The Linksys router is 100% compatible with Comcast service.  I know a number of Comcast customers using them and none has any issues.

Your surfboard modem is fully Comcast-compatible, however, some might suggest that the Zoom 5341J has had more stable firmware with Comcast.

Contributor
w201

Well I'm glad to hear it's not my router. Linksys does make a modem, however. When I was shopping for modems I was looking at a linksys and the SB6141, and I heard such great reviews about the sb6141 that I decided to snatch one up. In hindsight, I'm thinking I should have gone with the linksys becuase it would have integrated much smoother with my linksys router.

I'm still trying to sort out the issue. But good call on trying a different browser. I happen to be using firefox. Will post with any updates.

Thanks!

Regular Problem Solver
PeteC2

w201 wrote:

Well I'm glad to hear it's not my router. Linksys does make a modem, however.

Yes. The Cisco DPC3008 is also cross-branded as the Linksys DPC 3008.

Although the DPC 3008 is not a bad modem at all, I would be cautious, and call Comcast first to make sure that they will provision it as the Linksys DPC 3008 is not on their approved device list.  I would think that the firmware for the Linksys modem would be identical to the Cisco version and that is a mere technicality.

Regardless, there is no operational advantage with the Linksys modem to the EA router anymore than any other brand D3 cable modem.  Routers neither know, nor care which modem they are paired with any more than whether the connection is from cable, dsl, Uverse, sattelite, etc.

Frankly, I'd choose my modem based on features (Docsis 3.0, 8 bonded channels down), price, and what its "history" is with a given cable service.

On that basis, I would lean towards the Zoom 5341J...not because it is the one I own...but because it has the best track record on Comcast at this time.  The 5341J has had less firmware issues than the others as well as showing itself to be a bit more stable at signal-strength extremes... and on top of that, is generally available at a few bucks less than the Motorola or Cisco/Linksys modems...but I recommend this only by a very narrow margin over the others.  They are all very good modems.

Contributor
w201

Well, as usual, I was going to react on my impulses and fork over more money for a new modem. It's frustrating when things don't operate the way you need them to, but I'm farily certain that my lack of knowledge is the real problem here.

It also helps to talk to someone with more experience than yourself. Thanks again Pete, you've been very helpful.

New Visitor
userofdata

How was it you were able to get them to swap the modem to the SB6141 in the first place? I spent 4 hours on the phone with them last night and each of them kept asking for an MAC ID starting with 00. They kept asking for a prefix of a few letters but I cannot remember what they said it was.

I let them know that this modem only has an HFC MAC ID and they had no idea as to what I was talking about. I spoke with 4 reps in total and none of them were able to get it connected and provisioned.  Any suggestions as to how I can explain this to them?

Connection Expert
EG

userofdata wrote:
I let them know that this modem only has an HFC MAC ID and they had no idea as to what I was talking about. I spoke with 4 reps in total and none of them were able to get it connected and provisioned.  Any suggestions as to how I can explain this to them?

FWIW, the HFC MAC address is indeed the one that they use and need to provision a modem for service on their system. You need is to get a competent rep that knows what they are doing.

New Visitor
ed231

Pete,

I am trying to route to the Cisco DPC 3008 remotely.   The IP address and GW I have from my WIFI router are not routable as in the past.  Does the DPC have the Comcast routable address or has that been hidden to restrict consumer use?

New Visitor
Jimmcc

While you've probably moved on to other challenges, here's what worked for me.

I just bought the white SB6141 and swapped it out via Comcast. I did this through Chat, but at one point the rep told me to plug in the new modem I suspect it did everything on its own from there. No problems making the shift. (foolishly, I did this while I was online with old modem and managed to switch the chat session to my mobile hotspot midstream).

I'm using a Netgear R6300 router, and I've set its IP address to 10.10.2.100, with the router's DHCP service assigning IP addresses 10.10.2.nnn.

Using either Chrome or Internet Explorer under Windows 7, I get directly into the configuration manager by going to http://192.168.100.1/