Regular Contributor

How to lower Upstream Power level

My Upstream Power Level is 54dBmV which is kinda high. Jason1 said this could related to my connections problem. I was just wondering if there was anything I could do lower this value, or do I have to just call a tech out and wait all day for him.
Connection Expert
EG

Re: How to lower Upstream Power level

If you have read the sticky's and followed the advice, then there's really nothing else you can do. The noise ingress is probably on the outside lines or at the plant.
Regular Contributor

So would it help any to have a tech come out. Also I live in an appartment complex, should I have him check the complexes wiring. One more thing, I have talked to a couple other people in my area, that don't live in the same complex as me, and they seem to have similar problems. I'm just trying to figure out what to do next. Thanks.
Connection Expert
EG

>>So would it help any to have a tech come out

I'm afraid that you'll have to start there, this is Comcast's standard operating procedure.

>>should I have him check the complexes wiring

Comcast may not be responsible for the maintenence of that wiring, you'll have to ask.
Regular Contributor

Do you think it would be worth trying to connect my modem to another cable hookup in my house?
Connection Expert
EG

Are you talking about another cable outlet in your apartment?, or someone else's apartment? If it's the former, it can't hurt to try.

Message was edited by: ElevatorGuy to correct spelling errors.
Regular Contributor

Would a signal booster help?
Security Expert
CajunTek

No... Likely will do more harm than good..
TANSTAAFL!!

New Visitor

I am at around 48 upstream power, is this too high?
Most Valued Poster
Jason1

ericjwill,

Yes, 48dBmV is an ok upstream power level. 50-55dBmV is pushing the upper limit and some modems will not operate at this high a level but you should be fine as long as the upstream is not continuously jumping very high above this.