New Visitor
PATVENTURE007

INSTALL THE MOTOROLA SB6121 MODEM

How do I replace and install the Motorola SB6121 modem?  I want to replace the Comcast modem to stop paying for the rental.  Please help.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Re: INSTALL THE MOTOROLA SB6121 MODEM

[ Edited ]

When you get your new modem just hook it up in place of your old one and call Comcast, they will activate it for you. You can also activate the new modem by simply opening a web browser and following the prompts (you'll need your account information). Return the old modem to your local Comcast office and make sure you get a receipt. Verify on your next bill that you are no longer being charged a rental fee.

Regular Problem Solver

At one time, the "walled garden" modem activation site did not work in SOME areas,and you'd end up calling CC anyway.....This MIGHT have changed over the last several months ( tried the "walled garden" with my 6120 -- without success-- about a year ago...)... I just skipped it and called in to provision my 5341J....

God luck!

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

dsanbo wrote: ...  ( tried the "walled garden" with my 6120 -- without success-- about a year ago...) ...

Self-install works for me if I use the account number from https://customer.comcast.com/Secure/Account.aspx -- the one on that web page, not the one on the PDF statement. The number on the statement has one more digit than the one on the web page. If I use the longer one, the self-install fails.

New Visitor
cowboy-47

The SB6121 runs the DOCSIS 3.0 release ... are all Internet performance levels supported by the SB1621 and the latest release of DOCSIS?

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

DOCSIS 3.0 is the latest version of the standard. The SB1621 is a DOCSIS 3 modem that supports 4 downstream channels. Motorola also makes a modem with 8 downstream channels, but it is not yet on Comcast's approved list. The Zoom 5341J supports 8 downstream channels and is on the approved list.