Contributor

IP Address Changes?

In the past month or so I've been moved several times to completely different IP schemes without any notice whatsoever. 

Why is this a problem? because whenever it happens, I have to reset my cable modem to get it placed

onto the new ip scheme. In-between the time they make the change and I do the reset, My phone doesn't work and of course internet does not. 

I understand the need to upgrade equipment, etc. but is there any possible way that I could 

receive a little notice before this kind of thing occurs?

Contributor

Re: IP Address Changes?

Just curious...what area code are you in. This just got me too, while nobody was home for a week or so, and I couldn't see my house cameras.

Connection Expert
EG

boogerpick wrote:

In the past month or so I've been moved several times to completely different IP schemes without any notice whatsoever. 

Why is this a problem? because whenever it happens, I have to reset my cable modem to get it placed

onto the new ip scheme. In-between the time they make the change and I do the reset, My phone doesn't work and of course internet does not. 

I understand the need to upgrade equipment, etc. but is there any possible way that I could 

receive a little notice before this kind of thing occurs?

Try using a service like DynDNS.

Contributor

Ahh. Well I didn't say that name resolution was a problem. its not, I do use a dynamic dns service. 

When they make these changes, I need to reboot my cable modem in order for it to start working 

on the new ip network, so until I can do that, I don't have internet. If I received a notification, 

then I can schedule this, or have someone else do it. 

Yea, the security cameras are pretty important, I've already caught someone stealing a package from my front steps. 

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

It's my understanding that residential customers have dynamic IP assignments that change whenever Comcast (or any other ISP) decides to change them. The ISP won't tell you when those assignments will change.

So if you need to know what your current assignment is, you'll need to come up with a solution that handles frequent (or infrequent) IP address changes without your intervention. Have you checked with your dynamic DNS service for suggestions?

In other words, it sounds like your current setup where you have to power cycle the cable modem if the IP address changes is not a viable solution.

Connection Expert
JamesR

boogerpick wrote:

Ahh. Well I didn't say that name resolution was a problem. its not, I do use a dynamic dns service. 

When they make these changes, I need to reboot my cable modem in order for it to start working 

on the new ip network, so until I can do that, I don't have internet. If I received a notification, 

then I can schedule this, or have someone else do it. 

Yea, the security cameras are pretty important, I've already caught someone stealing a package from my front steps. 

What does the WebCam Manufacturer have to say about the issue?  Perhaps they have a script that monitors the IP and sends a reset signal to the modem.

Perhaps you just need to swap out the modem for one that doesn't need to be rebooted to deal withan IP adress change.  I have a Motorola Surfboard modem that seems to take IP address changes in stride with no reboot needed when the IP changes.

If it were me, I would contact the Webcam Mfr. to see if they have a canned solution for you.

Email Expert

It shouldn't be necessary to reset the cable modem when your IP changes. The modem operates at a lower level than this. And I've never before heard of anyone else needing to do this.

Something else is going wrong. It may be coincidence that you lose your connection around the same time as the IP changes. Or maybe the problem that's causing you to lose your connection is also somehow causing your IP to change.

How are your signal levels?

New Visitor
qballrail

Odd.  I have not had that issue.  Many others, just not that one.  In fact, I think I've had the same IP address for many months now.  I would actually like to have my IP address changed periodically for security purposes.  This actually stops websites from tracking you as easily.  Once you delete your cookies, (or have your browser delete session cookies, they can't track you.  If Comcast would change my IP at least once a month, I'd be happy.  Not sure why you're having an issue.  I have an older Surboard modem and when I do have changes, it updates accordingly without issue.  Have you updated the firmware recently?

Networking Expert
Baric

You can't update the firmware in your cable modem, that's done by Comcast and at their discretion.

If you want to change your IP addres, simply change the MAC address of the device you connect to the cable modem, and power cycle the cable modem.  That's all it takes.  But make sure it is a MAC you own, which will be a problem after a few months unless you have lots of network adapters lying around.  There's no point to changing your IP address so often, if you want to be anonymous, use an anonymous web proxy or anonymous VPN service between you and the rest of the Internet.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

I used to see the problem occasionally with Moto SB4200s, but any modem made in the past 8 years or so shouldn't care about IP changes. What modem do you have? 

Connection Expert
EG

qballrail wrote:

I would actually like to have my IP address changed periodically for security purposes.  This actually stops websites from tracking you as easily.  Once you delete your cookies, (or have your browser delete session cookies, they can't track you. 

Humbug....

New Visitor
qballrail

EG wrote:

Humbug....

Is there an exterminator in the house?  LOL!  What's humbug?  That's a pretty strong rebuttal.  Please extrapolate.

New Visitor
qballrail

i-am-nerdburg wrote:
 I used to see the problem occasionally with Moto SB4200s, but any modem made in the past 8 years or so shouldn't care about IP changes. What modem do you have? 

Surfboard Sb5120

Email Expert

Web sites don't generally track people by IP. First, because many people have IPs that change frequently. Second, because many IPs are shared by multiple users, because they're all coming through the same firewall.

That's why web sites use things like cookies to track users.

New Visitor
qballrail

Barmar wrote:

Web sites don't generally track people by IP. First, because many people have IPs that change frequently. Second, because many IPs are shared by multiple users, because they're all coming through the same firewall.

That's why web sites use things like cookies to track users.

What you said is partially true.  IP address is another.  They don't confine themselves to cookies.