New Visitor
hwgang

IP Address shows wrong STATE...potentially causing problems

My IP address shows my geographical location as the wrong STATE.  For Craigslist users, posting in the wrong location can get you ghosted.  I made a simple request of comcast to give me a new IP address accurately reflecting my geographical location.  Over an hour later, having been given an earful of fantasy by three separate "techs" (and I use the word loosely) and having, for the record, refreshed my modem, I still have the same IP address and the same geographical location.

This should be a 101 service provider tech situation.  Not a trip into bizarro-land of the uninformed.

Can anyone offer me a solution short of changing my ISP?, (which is mighty tempting just now)

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Re: IP Address shows wrong STATE...potentially causing problems

It's pretty common knowledge in the industry that all geolocation via IP address is only 50-80% accurate. It's bad practice to base anything critical on this data. I guess you could ask Craiglist to update their geolocation servers. The data will prob. update eventually anyhow.

Your IP address is dynamically assigned by your local headend --no customer service rep can do anything about that.

Guess you should prob look for a new ISP or get business class and a static IP.

Networking Expert
Baric

As stated, geolocation of an IP address is not to be trusted and webservers who rely on will give wrong information.  I suggest you simply bookmark the craigslist server for your area directly, and stop relying on a silly website with shoddy code practices.

New Visitor
hwgang

I don't need a static IP address (or want to give comcast one more dime, thank you) and it isn't a matter of viewing/bookmarking the correct CL (thanks for the snarky comment anyway assuming I'm a moron) it's a matter of posting.  CL has a long list of secret sauce ingredients that can get an ad "ghosted" and I don't meet any of the usual suspects, EXCEPT posting from outside of my area.  Troubleshooters there specifically said to examine the geographical location.

Ahhhh, forum love.  Thanks tons!

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

Since the only party clearly in the wrong here is the geolocation service, why not take your complaint to them?

New Visitor
rtjarvisjr

WOW, I've been trying to communicate this SAME issue to comcast "techs" for a month now.  They continue to state its "my problem". 

History:  I lived 10 miles away (Chicago) and used comcast as my ISP for +/- 5 years and IE, Firefox, and Chrome all displayed the correct geolocation.  I moved last month and transferred my service to my new address (less than 10 miles away) and made NO changes in my laptop or my desktop computer (all 3 browsers remain the same on both computers).  I am using the SAME motorola modem and SAME router - and NO changes were made on any of these devices either.

Now if I use geolocation for twitter, facebook (and log into my account on craigslist), they all tag me as being in Indiana.  The problem is most certainly COMCAST, not any specific setting on either of my computers or my modem or my router. 

I found these two websites:  http://www.ip2location.com/ and http://my-addr.com/geo both indicating my location is INDIANA (not my actual location (CHICAGO). 

I post once a day on craigslist and am deadly afraid that I am going to be ghosted.  As a matter of fact I believe that some of my ads have already begun to ghost me since they are not showing up in any searches from other computers.  Also, my FB and Twitter postings (when I indicate to include my location) place me in Fort Wayne, Indiana...

I understand the first level tech support may not be able to "fix" thier DNS server or whatever the problem is, but there MUST be a 2nd/3rd level support who can correct this issue. 

I DARE any representative to contact me to discuss this issue with me.  And by DARE, I mean I BEG any rep to reach out to me and have a civilized conversation on this topic.

Connection Expert
EG

Guess that you just don't "get it" from reading this three month old thread..

New Visitor
rtjarvisjr

Either you work for comcast and you just cant see that comcast does not care to resolve the issue...  or your just phishing for online confrontation.  Yes, the issue is 3 months old.  And I do not see that the issue has been resolved. 

What is your point for replying to this issue if you clearly don't have an answer?

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

Yeah. O/k. After all these years here I'm just a troll... Good luck and have a good one... :smileysilly:

New Visitor
rtjarvisjr

Well, Good Sir (NOT A TROLL), we'll see if you're correct in that only the geolocation service can correct the issue.  I've sent update requests to both maxmind.com and ip2location.com.

If they can correct the issue, I will gladly come back here and appologize to you for giving me the specific answer to contact them.  Oh wait, you didn't, and neither was answer in the posts above...  But I'll still give you credit. 

Good luck to you.