Contributor

If I change my modem to a DOCSIS 3.0 do I have to change Router also

I currently have a Arris TM502G modem and am waiting for Comcast to send me a new DOCSIS 3.0 modem to replace mine with. I have triple play with Blast now. My router is a Netgear WGR614 model. Do i need to upgrade anything besides the modem? I am not sure what model modem Comcast will be sending me .

Connection Expert
EG

Re: If I change my modem to a DOCSIS 3.0 do I have to change Router also

That router is old. It has even been considered "end of life" (no further firmware updates) by the manufacturer. If it hasn't been already upgraded in your area, Blast will soon be 50 Mbps down. That router will not be able to deliver that much speed wirelessly. You should consider upgrading to a more current wireless "N" capable router. Don't go bottom of the barrel.

Regular Problem Solver
PeteC2

In real-life performance that router is only capable of supplying around 22 - 25 Mbps (not the 54Mbps that only would exist in their dreams).  As EG says, soon enough your Blast tier will give you 50/10 speeds.  Get a decent (not bottom-of-the-barrel model) router.

Contributor

Well just as I figured the router would have to be changed. Comcast supplied the netgear router so I will have to go back to them and get another one. It sure would be nice if COMCAST CSR'S could have giving me a heads up that I would need a new one. It seems like we have to drag info out of them. Thanks for the help.

Regular Problem Solver
PeteC2

wade1205 wrote:

Well just as I figured the router would have to be changed. Comcast supplied the netgear router so I will have to go back to them and get another one. It sure would be nice if COMCAST CSR'S could have giving me a heads up that I would need a new one. It seems like we have to drag info out of them. Thanks for the help.

I highly recommend that you have Comcast send you an updated D3 eMTA, however, do not opt for an eMTA wireless gateway, which is the only network solution that Comcast now offers.  The wireless gateways are just chock-full of issues and you really do not want to go there!

Ask Comcast for an eMTA modem, and purchase your own decent quality, stand alone router.  Yes, it will cost you a few bucks up front, but it will save you greif in the long run.

Contributor

Any suggestions on what router I should buy. I have not had to buy one in a long time as I always used what was supplied to me . This netgear that I have now has great wireless range.

Regular Problem Solver
PeteC2

wade1205 wrote:

Any suggestions on what router I should buy. I have not had to buy one in a long time as I always used what was supplied to me . This netgear that I have now has great wireless range.

If you like netgear, there are several good models to go with, the WNDR3700 comes to mind as a good compromise between quality/features vs. price.

Also ASUS routers appear to be very solid performers.

Personally, I recommend the Linksys EA series routers, specifically, the 2700, 3500, or 4500 models.  Linksys routers use a unique cloud firmware that some like (works for me!) but other folks are not fond of it...

Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions on the routers. I will look into them to see which one fits my needs.